jeep jk unlimited camper project

bamajeep

Adventurer
have you considered linear actuators for a lift system ?

Decided to go with a somewhat-traditional scissor lift. I've got the scissor itself completed and am working on the brackets that will attach to the camper. Hope to have it finished in the next couple weeks with pics to follow.

DzlToy

Explorer
When you build the second version, you may wish to consider composite panels. There is no nasty fiberglass to deal with, no chemicals to mix, no sanding, brushing, etc.,

A customer of mine has panels to make a 12 foot long by 7 foot high by 7 foot wide RV box and the panels all together weigh well under 500 pounds. The walls are about two inches thick and they have an R value of of about R-30 with a special heat reflective coating sprayed on the outside after final assembly. The panels are bonded together with a something along the lines of Sika 252, depending on the composition of your panel. Thin aluminum or composite extrusions can be used on the exterior to further seal the joints and offer some protection against branches and such. It should look something like this when completed:

fuso-119a.jpg~original

so if that box empty weighs about #500, the one for your JKU should not be anything near that, which is what you have now.

Last edited:

bamajeep

Adventurer
Would it be possible to get the panels to curve so that they follow the contour of the Jeep? As far as joining the panels, is there a way to do this seamlessly (without aluminum extrusion)?

When you build the second version, you may wish to consider composite panels. There is no nasty fiberglass to deal with, no chemicals to mix, no sanding, brushing, etc.,

A customer of mine has panels to make a 12 foot long by 7 foot high by 7 foot wide RV box and the panels all together weigh well under 500 pounds. The walls are about two inches thick and they have an R value of of about R-30 with a special heat reflective coating sprayed on the outside after final assembly. The panels are bonded together with a something along the lines of Sika 252, depending on the composition of your panel. Thin aluminum or composite extrusions can be used on the exterior to further seal the joints and offer some protection against branches and such. It should look something like this when completed:

fuso-119a.jpg~original

so if that box empty weighs about #500, the one for your JKU should not be anything near that, which is what you have now.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites

fuso-119a.jpg~original

You got my interest! 2" walls and R30? That's unheart of. We are getting R20 with 3" walls. I would like to find out more. 500LB only for a box that size doesn't sound right... In any case, please tell us more about it.

DzlToy

Explorer
They are quite rigid, so I doubt simple or compound curves would be possible. The manufacturer may be able to build you a curved panel or you may be able to get a thinner panel and bend it to suit your needs, but it would only be a simple (2D) curve, not a compound curve. Composite structural panels just dont do that, that I am aware of, but I am not an expert in that field.

bamajeep

Adventurer
Do you have a link to the company? Thanks!
They are quite rigid, so I doubt simple or compound curves would be possible. The manufacturer may be able to build you a curved panel or you may be able to get a thinner panel and bend it to suit your needs, but it would only be a simple (2D) curve, not a compound curve. Composite structural panels just dont do that, that I am aware of, but I am not an expert in that field.

bamajeep

Adventurer
Finished the lift on the camper today. Tried to upload pics, but the site's not cooperating - Will add new pics tomorrow.

bamajeep

Adventurer
Still unable to upload a new photo - have never had this problem before - I've contacted support on here and hope to get it straightened out soon. Any advice?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online