"Patience" WJ Expo Build

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Very nice start man. I'm doing things a little different with my ZJ I'll be doing 31x10.5 with stock height and a bunch of trimming which I've already started on but am still waiting on tires to come in since I will only be running the 31s when offroading. And stock 225x75s for daily

You would actually be better off running the 235/85r16 on stock 16x7 Limited model wheels, tire is 31.4 inches tall but only 9 inches wide, so there would be less trimming than the 31x10.50 would require.

CJustin7

Adventurer
You would actually be better off running the 235/85r16 on stock 16x7 Limited model wheels, tire is 31.4 inches tall but only 9 inches wide, so there would be less trimming than the 31x10.50 would require.

That's exactly what I'm running. I screwed myself with to much backspacing though, and that's why I'm trimming already.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
That's exactly what I'm running. I screwed myself with to much backspacing though, and that's why I'm trimming already.

I know what you are running, I was quoting the other guy. A lot of people don't realize that the factory wheels are perfectly centered for clearance based on the chassis they were designed for, so by mounting a taller but same width tire on your factory wheels you will have the best clearance in most cases. When guys select a wheel that pushes the tires further out it increases the length of the pendulum as the wheel travels toward the body, thus increasing body contact as you have learned. Some people widen their stance in hopes of adding stability on a side slope, when in reality 95% of off road vehicles will never even come close to their roll center. I used to be a fan of wider tires but have become wiser with age.

CJustin7

Adventurer
Right on, I was just warning of going out too wide with that set up. I am one of those people, who is in the mind of thinking wider is better for stability (and looks). While it's is true, it comes with a cost. For your regular outing, you're right, It's probably not needed.

CJustin7

Adventurer
A little trimming on the front

Was able to get a little more done this weekend. The weather did not help at all. Garage never got above freezing, so bondo and seam sealer weren't working and will have to wait until it warms up. I did get to run around in the snow and have a little fun though.

Here's how the rear tire sits now with all that room !!!!

Here's how the fronts started ..

Here's the metal we cut out of the front ..... I was a bit worried cutting that out, but after inspecting it (a few times) ..... It didn't seem to be needed after trimming.

I applied a light coat of primer after this as we couldn't get the bondo to blend. I'm not showing a picture of it, because it looks like crap and I really want to finish on the first warm weekend we have.

and a bonus pictures...... My brother drove up from WPB Florida to pick this up. 1965 Caddy Ambulance. I'd say the wheelbase on this thing is about a 1/2 mile. LOL

CJustin7

Adventurer
No build updates from this weekend, but we did manage to shake the WJ, JK, and CJ down in the mountains (on ice). Went up to Richlands Rd and took it on out to Sampson Rd (Richlands Rd is NOT a road at all)
WJ and JK had no real issues. The CJ did have some trouble getting up the steeper parts on ice. A lil tug from the beast and she came right up though.

I had the only mechanical failure .... but wasn't much. The nut came off my left front sway bar ..... eventually dropping my spring out when flexed too much. Not a big deal, just backed up to the portion of the trail that drooped the front left, and we placed it right back in there. A few zip ties and some electrical tape was all that was needed to act like the nut holding the sway bar connected.

Little flex

CJustin7

Adventurer
Not to much work got done on the WJ (It was the CJs turn to hog the garage this weekend )
I did manage to fix the awful blown front speakers.

I did as recommended by everyone on jeepforum.... I took the speakers out, and ran a razor blade around the edge ... tore the mesh out and resealed the edges with some black silicone. Boom, speakers fixed. It was really that easy.
I let them dry for 15hrs .... just FYI

AND a BONUS PICTURE
Wonder what was happening to the CJ this weekend ???

CJustin7

Adventurer
Ordered this weekend :

Iron Rock OffRoad Transfer Case Skid
Firestik K-4A Stud with Screw-On Coaxial Termination for Antenna Mirror Mounts
Uniden PRO520XL 40-Channel CB Radio
Firestik SS-3H Heavy Duty Stainless Steel Antenna Spring
18' RG-58A/U Coaxial Cable With Pl-259 Connectors
Firestik II FS3-R Tunable Tip CB Antenna, Red (3 feet)
Mopar turn Signal Realay

CJustin7

Adventurer
What do we have here.......Presents

and a Full weekend.....

Axles Swap on CJ , Tires on CJ, CB hookup - WJ, Hopefully TC Skid and turn signal relay get here by then as well.

CJustin7

Adventurer
Allot of stuff was finished up this weekend. I did not receive my IRO transfer case skid as hoped, but did get just about everything else needed. My biggest concern was my turn signals. They were intermittent when I got the thing .... meaning they worked about 90% of the time and every now and then would not work at all. Well .... that progressively had gotten worse to the point that they would only work 10% of the time. I for one, can't stand people who don't use their turn signals. I ordered up the mopar signal relay and was able to swap that out. I also fixed a ground short in my left tail light housing after changing out the bulb ..... which was pointless at the time. lol
I took no pictures as it took the whole of 3 minutes to complete. I watched this guys video and more or less mimicked what he did.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-TtnITWBy8

I gave the outside of the rig a bath from all the snow and mud that had accumulated (with our new pressure washer.)

After that, I started in on the CB radio install and wires. I first mounted the antenna mount right above the passenger side tail light. Picked up the Dodge Ram steel mount and used it there (I think I stole that idea off someone here too). I did have to channel out the top left corner of my tail light in order for that to work.

I then ran the coax through the same (grommet might be the word I'm looking for here) rubber piece that the rest of the signaling wires ran through. Followed that down through the plastic, and up towards the passenger seat. I just pushed the cable in under the trim all the way to the glove box. I ended up taking off a bit of stuff up there and drilling a hole near the ash tray to fit the Coax through.

For a CB I went with the Uniden 520XL. I did this for a few reasons.
1. Will fit directly into the ashtray
2. Has everything I need
3. It's dirt cheap and has great reviews.

Getting it into the ashtray was fairly simple......
I took the piece out (pops right out) that holds the ash trey, back warmer buttons, and outlets.
Unhooked the wiring....

Dremel'd out the back and a little off the sides. You have to hit up the sides in order to remove some plastic ash trey retainers and such. Once that was done .... I simply placed it all in there and ran the wiring. I spliced into the left outlet right there. Allot of people like to run straight to the Batt..... but the 520XL came with a dirty power filter, so I went the easy way. It also cuts my CB off when the keys are out. (Bonus for us forgetfull people)..... heat shrank the cables together after tying them in. Then SWR tested before I buttoned everything back up. Had to adjust the antenna a bit, but was able to get 1.4 and 1.6 on channel 1 and 40. Not bad for a 3'ft whip, and will be more than adequate for some trails and such. After tuning it up and making sure everything was ran properly, I buttoned it all back up.

That's pretty much all I did to her this weekend...... well besides blow one of the speakers I "fixed". But hey, 2 steps forwards and 1 step back is still moving forward right. LOL

Helped John get his CB installed in the WJ as well. He had a little 2' antenna and It was really hard to tune that thing into the 2-3's. I'm positive it's just too short to operate correctly.

Also on his ..... He used a 12' Coax ..... and really need a few more inches. We had to run everything SUPER tight and used every bit of the cable to reach his CB.
Note: I used 18' cable and probably had 1' left over.

Nick in the meantime, worked on the CJ7 and started cutting out some of the cancer from underneath it.
Axles still haven't been taken off. If anyone knows Steve up at TarHeel 4x4 .... and knows his CJ8 ..... Then you have seen the axles going into the CJ7. Steve is running my old TC from the 7 in his 8.... funny how all that works out. It is his daily driver though, so it may take some time to get those.
Here's some pics of the cancer and why this has to come out.

And BONUS PICTURES ..... Still connected in these pics

So hopeful this week I'll get my TC skid...... and Friday I'll be ordering JRCs rock sliders.
I'll feel allot more comfortable hitting some hard trails with some under belly armor on her.

CJustin7

Adventurer
Updates: I was sick over the weekend and didn't really get to do a whole lot of work on the Jeep. I did have to get my little brother un-stuck. He also has a white GC (zj) and is running some slicks at the moment. He got caught up in a bad mud hole trying to get backed up to a trailer (which was also stuck int he mud).... It was pretty comical and of course I gave him all sorts of hell about it. He;s got a 3.5" RC lift on the way and a set of used 31"s to wheel it in soon.

ORDERED AND ON THE WAY : JRC Frame sliders , RC Front sway quick disconnects, new rear driver side upper spring isolator
http://www.jcroffroad.com/product/JGC/WJSL-CL.html
http://www.roughcountry.com/sway-bar-disconnects-1131.html

Here ..... IRO TC skid

and bonus pictures

CJustin7

Adventurer
Not sure if I mentioned this earlier ..... but I blew my left dash speaker out .... again. It's weird as it's not any bass that makes it sound crappy, but the mids and highs. So.... I was looking to purchase a new set last night ... and ended up ordering allot more than just the fronts.

ORDERED ON THE WAY:
CDT Audio 6"x9" Carbon Fiber Midwoofers / Subwoofers
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006VYVVZ2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Pioneer TS-A878 3 1/2 Inch 2-Way Speakers
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00009QOTA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
JBL GTO638 6.5-Inch 3-Way Speakers
http://www.amazon.com/JBL-GTO638-6-5-Inch-3-Way-Speakers/dp/B003KN2TF8/ref=pd_bxgy_e_img_z

Yes, I know I'm going to have to dremel out the front speakers to make them fit...... I'm ok with that as you'll never see it under the dash board.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier