Converting an NPR to 4x4?

kerry

Expedition Leader
I for one would have given serious consideration to a crew cab had such a thing been available in the USA. I would not have hesitated with a crew cab had it also been modified to be tiltable like the standard cab. So, yes, details of the conversion and pictures would be very helpul. It does seem odd that snow plows are your speciality in Florida. :)

declinetostate

I agree that more info would be helpful. If you have a patented system to convert to 4wd then by all means explain the changes you make and the hardware that is used. A full spec list would be nice. You might start with explaining the axle and transfer case you use for the conversion. Along with the GVWR of the new set up. With the converted truck does the stock ABS brake system work? Your website if pretty vague. Although I do not post much on Expo I read a lot and I believe that most people here are all about system integration and we all like to know how gear works. Check out All Terrain Warriors and you will see that they are very detailed on their modifications to the Fuso Fg and they answer very specific questions on their work. Everyone knows that a conversion isn't a simple process and it looks like you guys have figured it out. I believe you could reach quite a few interested individuals on expo so please share some in depth info on your trucks. A lot of people would love to have a 4wd crew cab vehicle with gear ratio options and having disc brakes in the front would be icing on the cake. It could be much superior to the fg in the US market. I already own an npr but I would like to convert to 4wd. Do you sell your system as a kit? I would even be interested in just the front hub adapters to the isuzu bolt pattern, the transfer case set up and the locker options you have for the rear. Let us know what your company offers. I believe you could make quite a few happy customers.

Jakes01234

Explorer
I have a little interest in this and hope that they respond. I have and gmc Kodiak 5500 that we are discussing selling and would like to get a 4x4 for our next truck. The isuzu could be the answer.... or not

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Hard to believe (and I checked twice) but no one has yet mentioned the Xtreme Off-Road Crawler Hauler project that 4x4'd an old Isuzu LCF truck:

crawler hauler.jpg

It might not be of any use beyond proving that, on television, anything is possible. But the videos are on the internet, though you have to watch a segments from a half-dozen shows to see the whole project. Start here, should you care:

http://www.powernationtv.com/episode/XO2014-03/crawler-hauler

declinetostate

i have watched the crawler hauler videos but to be honest I'm not at all impressed. It is poorly designed and executed. It is amazing how much you don't see in the quick shots. An example is his relocation of the driver side spring hanger. He welds it so far offset on the frame then welds a tiny little brace in a location that will most likely bend the first time the truck hits a pot hole with a load. The factory used rivets with all the spring hangers and he ended up welding everything back on. he did not address the steering, drivelines, or the transfer case. The whole thing gets really stupid when he changed his mind on the rear suspension and went with airbags to lower the rear so he could load up his crawler. The bed looks so close to the rear tires that it seems useless. i keep checking back to see if there are any updates on the project but it looks like it just sits in the back. For a "fabricator" I think he could have done better. That is the whole reason why I would like to see pictures of the rctruck conversions. Anyone can claim that they converted a vehicle but pictures prove a well engineered conversion. A picture speaks volumes. I seriously hope that rctrucks will show off their work.

DzlToy

Explorer
Isuzu rear locker is likely this:

http://www.drivetrainamerica.com/p-610-225s79-detroit-locker-no-spin-isuzu-differential.aspx

which is the only non-OEM locker that I can locate anywhere. I have contacted multiple dealers and no one seems to have any in stock. Maybe he found a dealer or imported some from another country.

I would want an ARB in the front for my truck, but I am not sure what they are using or what the source/specs are on their front axle.

Transfer case is NV271, but not sure if its the Ford (strongest) or Dodge version or a hybrid. There is an adapter to bolt the t-case to the back of the Isuzu transmission after removing the parking brake assy. It is not a divorced case because they have a 109" WB NPR and there is simply not enough room to divorce that case. It is a massive case if you have never seen one up close.

declinetostate

Good info. Do you have any specs on the tailpiece to allow the nv271 to bolt on to the isuzu trans? I know the transfer case is a beast. My dodge has one. If you get on rctrucks facebook page they have a couple pictures of a long wheelbase green npr. I have downloaded the picture and if you really study it you can tell the transfer case is very close to the transmission. I am also pretty confident that the front axle is a later model ford dana 60. I would bet that rctrucks has had a new front dually hub made to adapt to the 6x8.75 bolt pattern. If the front axle is the dana then there are many options for locking it. Are you sure the locker you linked to is for an isuzu g73 axle? It is so difficult to find info on these trucks. I know that the newest nprs are coming with rear limited slip. I would assume that the older nps models in other contries had a lsd at least as an option. If anyone in Austrailia could confirm that it would be Helpful. I bet a used one could be found and shipped if a new model cannot be located. Any input would be great. I am seriously wanting to attempt the conversion. The more info the better.

declinetostate

Well i just called rctrucks and they will not sell any components just the completed trucks. They will not provide any info for the trucks either since the conversion is "patented". If they sold components I would have purchased them. I just find it a little odd. Maybe they dont understand how product patents work.

DzlToy

Explorer
custom adapter from Isuzu trans to NV271, I would presume. I doubt that is an off the shelf piece anywhere. The NV271 uses a relatively common bolt pattern, so with a lathe and mill, it should not be that difficult to do, but I dont have either.

I am 95% sure about the locker. They will perform a conversion on a truck that you bring them for something in the 10-12k range depending on components. Drive in and drive out in three days. I call catfish on the patent. I presume the adapter is custom and he has a source for the lockers since they seem to be out of production. Otherwise, ANY competent fab shop, 4WD shop or truck conversion shop should be able to perform the work they are doing. It is not rocket science.

If you are not opposed to a gasoline engine, get the L96 and 6L90 package in an NPR instead of the diesel and bolt your choice of transfer cases to the rear of the GM transmission. Add your choice of front and rear axles and no funny NPR parts to deal with in the driveline.

david506th

Adventurer
I did some quick searches on the US Patent Office and found nothing that may indicate a 4x4 conversion for the NPR or anything under their Corporate Name they use on the Website. Maybe Patent pending which might explain their being hesitant but if it is truly protected patent wise they should feel at ease sharing. There is a bunch of gray and fog for me to be anymore interested in this company.

Last edited:

kerry

Expedition Leader
I got an e-mail from RC trucks today with an attachment to a google doc. Havent opened it yet since I was concerned it might be a hack and I'm traveling in Europe and don't want to screw up my computer on the road. Wondering if anyone else who had been in contact with them got it.

familyvan

Adventurer
I received the same email. And its most definitely spam. The first email response I got from them had not content. I am assuming their email is hacked. The also did not call back after two phone calls. Which is a bummer because it sure would be sweet to have a crew cab cabover. Another option out there is tulsa truck manufacturing. They have photos of Fuso's the have converted on their website.

DzlToy

Explorer
NPR Conversion

I have never had any trouble reaching Rolando. He even called me back on a Saturday afternoon. I think that I just used the number on the website and his email is:

rolyfte@aol.com

You can also send him a PM, he is on this board.

Edit: I did not receive the aforementioned spam message, so maybe he emailed you guys from a different email.

Last edited:

haven

Expedition Leader
Has anyone explored the option of shipping used NPS 4x4 parts from Japan or Australia? I think the frame of the NPR and NPS are the same for similar GVW.

I also like the suggestion of converting a GM version. In USA, the crew cab RWD model with Diesel engine was called the W4500 or NPR HD. A search on truckpaper.com shows a 10 year old diesel w4500 crew cab still costs $30k.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94