Converting an NPR to 4x4?

dfrank

Observer
I've just bought a 99 NPR, with an 11' utility bed. Its not yet decided if this will just be a work (construction) truck, or if it will be my long dreamed of camper conversion.

Its drawbacks are that is is 2 door and 2WD. It is a Dually. Even running Duratracks, it seems to get stuck easily in snow on flat ground.

Is it at all reasonable to convert this to 4X4? Any guesses on costs?

Thanks,

Dave

kerry

Expedition Leader
That's interesting. I'm surprised that company hasn't appeared in this forum before. They seem to have lots of4x4 NPR's for sale including crew cabs. Where are they getting their trucks? They're left hand drive

Maninga

Adventurer
That's interesting. I'm surprised that company hasn't appeared in this forum before. They seem to have lots of4x4 NPR's for sale including crew cabs. Where are they getting their trucks? They're left hand drive

They build the trucks themselves. Have their own system for conversion, told me trucks usually sell in the 22-45k range. Have asked if they can do new trucks, haven't heard back as of yet.

declinetostate

I have been looking at options to convert my npr. I have yet to contact rctrucksales but from the pictures i can tell you that the front axle is a ford dana 60. If you look at the lock out hubs it looks like they either use custom spacers to convert to the 6x8.75 bolt pattern or they use a non dually axle and have custom dually hubs built with the proper bolt pattern. I really want to see a picture from underneath because the ford axle uses a 36.5" spring spacing while the npr stock is 33.5". I believe the newest leaf sprung dana 60 axle from ford was rated at 5200lb. The older ones could be 4500lb. I highly doubt they use lockers. If you watch the video you can see quite a few places where they have edited the video when the truck doesn't have traction. I think the only way to get a lsd for the stock rear would be to import one from an nps(if they had them). the early trucks in the states didnt have that option from what i can see. i am not sure what transfer case they use. It looks too close to the trans to be divorce mounted. I think they buy cheap auction trucks and then convert them.

Curtis in Texas

Adventurer
Put a lot of thought and research into this subject.

Eventually I'll be building an NPR Expo truck.
I am planning on just replacing both front and rear axles to matching Dana 60/70 axles with lockers when I get mine. Will make Custom Dana 60 wheels for it.
Depending on what side the drop is will determine what T case I put back there.

I could just install a divorced T case in the midlle of the frame and make the driveshafts the same length.
Did that before on my Rodeo and it has saved my bacon more than once.
And it means only having to carry one spare driveshaft when I plan to get in really rough stuff.

I'll build the spring spacing to suit my needs.

Just an outside the box idea!

declinetostate

Most dana 60 axles are just too light. The stock gawr for the npr front is just shy of 5400lb and the axle is rated close to 6400lb. Early d60s are 4500lb or 4850lb rated. The npr builders guide shows the curb weight on the front of the truck at 3750lb. Now add passengers, aftermarket front bumpers, and winches and you really need more capacity. Later ford d60s go to 5200lb and the super 60 goes quite a bit higher. The rear axles on these trucks are stout. I believe they are rated a little over 11000lbs. It would take a dana 80 to match the capacity. I would use a ford dana 60 front which would require adjusting the spring hangers on the truck. Then use a divorced np205 transfer case. My npr has a two part drive shaft with a carrier bearing mounted to a cross member. I would think i could hang the transfer case on that crossmember and only need to have the short shaft made shorter and the long shaft could be reused. They both might need modified ends to match the u joints used on the transfer case. I'm wanting to know what rc truck sales does about the abs system since they use a different front axle. I really need to email them and ask some questions. I know that most people on this forum want singles and lifts but since i already have my truck id love to just have the capability of a stock fg. If anyone is thinking about this a different way please chime in. It goes round and round in my head but i keep coming back to this point.

kerry

Expedition Leader
RC Trucks appears to be keeping its cards pretty close to their chest on the conversion specifics.

rctrucks

ISUZU NPR 4X4 PATENTED CONVERSION

Hello we are a company located in Miami, Florida who has patented a 4x4 conversion kit for the Isuzu NPR truck for over 2 years. Are trucks also come with lockers. We have also patented the bracket for the Boss Plow to go on the Isuzu NPR truck for snow plowing. For more information you can visit us at www.rctrucksalesandparts.com or contact us at 305-796-0303 Carlos

Attachments

• PIC 1.jpg
    PIC 1.jpg
    448.7 KB · Views: 109
  • PIC 7.jpg
    PIC 7.jpg
    391.2 KB · Views: 110
  • plow2.jpg
    plow2.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 612

david506th

Adventurer
RCTrucks,

I think you would do much better to really go in depth here. You are talking to a whole new segment of the market, not snow plow operators. One of the largest selling point you have going for you is that you can turn a crew cab into a 4x4, something that as I am sure you know is not offered in the USA. Explain your product and you might make a few sales or at least get a bunch more referrals. I know if I could learn more I might be more open to considering moving from the FG to a 4x4 NPR Crew Cab RCTruck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne