Question about gaia app

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
FWIW I did the iOS 8.3 update on my iPad last night and now my iPad doesn't like my DUAL XGPS 150 now, Argh!!!!

And now none of my GPS apps read it. Technology is great when it works.

I'm always scared of updates due to possible issues, so for me, I wait couple months for things to settle.

I hope you can get the problem solved soon.

beadblaster

Observer
Dave at Gaia emailed me and said that the" open with" and you cannot import GPX files with Gaia 10 and they are working on a solution so do not update till they have a fix.

ExploringNH

Explorer
Dave at Gaia emailed me and said that the" open with" and you cannot import GPX files with Gaia 10 and they are working on a solution so do not update till they have a fix.

I hope they have a fix soon. I just downloaded it with the intent to replace motionx with it this summer. Gpx importing is a necessity.

I've played around with it some and it looks promising. Certainly much prettier than motionx.

beadblaster

Observer
The previous version was excellent. I used it for off-roading all over the western states. Aim now using gps kit he which works ok. With Gaia I could build my own tracks off the maps and with gps kit I have not found a way to build my own tracks. The " open with" and GPX importing works well with gps kit

Greenbean

B.S. Goodwrench
Turns out Apple really goofed something in the Bluetooth with 8.3,
The private pilots are really upset about all the flight nav apps now not working because iPads don't play with external GPS pucks!

After four tries I was finally able to revert my 4th Gen iPad back to 8.2.

Going to leave it alone for a while now. Stupid thing is now it won't sync my videos or playlists from iTunes since reverting. Go figure.

I am SO thankful Gaia saved my maps I had plotted, I just had to re-download them.

Turns out Apple really goofed something in the Bluetooth with 8.3,
The private pilots are really upset about all the flight nav apps now not working because iPads don't play with external GPS pucks!

After four tries I was finally able to revert my 4th Gen iPad back to 8.2.

Going to leave it alone for a while now. Stupid thing is now it won't sync my videos or playlists from iTunes since reverting. Go figure.

I am SO thankful Gaia saved my maps I had plotted, I just had to re-download them.

Same thing happened to me....my external GPS stopped feeding the GPS info to Gaia after upgrading to 8.3. I'd rather not go back to 8.2 since it requires a complete wipe and reload on my iPad. Hopefully Apple will fix it shortly.

I know a lot of pilots are using this hardware setup and as mentioned are pretty upset right now.

As for creating tracks, I use Garmin Basecamp. It's free and downloads the Topo maps off my Garmin device. Once I create a track I can export it in the correct format and then using iTunes upload it to my iPad. It really works great.

Greenbean

B.S. Goodwrench
Hmm, I'll have to look into that. Garmin Basecamp thing.

Also an issue with downgrading to 8.2 is none of my music and videos will sync from iTunes to my iPad now. Just pictures which is odd.

I read last night apple is beta testing 8.4 to hopefully restore the Bluetooth issues and some other things also.

Last edited:

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Was all this resolved?

I am thinking of going with Gaia on an iPad mini or getting the new Garmin 276Cx.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles