Question about gaia app

Clymber

Adventurer
So I just bought the app and did a test run with it around town, and now I have question. I assume I have todos load maps for offline use so I did that just no clue where they are saved then. I also loaded a bunch of trail from traildamage and want to use them Can some help a guy out

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
I think everyone is curious.... I had Gaia on a Palm Pilot and just saw it pop up on iPhone search, that is why I clicked it....

Oldmancrash

Adventurer
I am also looking for navigation software. Thought maybe I could learn from someone's answer. That's why I stopped by

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
You need to download the maps in advanced for offline use
EYX3nPN.jpg

From the "Download Maps" you can select the area you want to save for offline use
6L7uoyb.jpg

I just have the regular version which only downloads one layer at a time. With the PRO version with one selection you can select multiple map types and download them once.

Greenbean

B.S. Goodwrench
What Zoom version seems to be the best w/out going to max zoom for you guys.

I see it defaults to 18(1:3000) ,
what does this mean???

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
I find I rarely go past a zoom setting of 15. Zoom tighter and start to feel tunnel vision and lose view of my immediate surroundings.

The ratio of (1:3000) is what the map is scaled to.

What Zoom version seems to be the best w/out going to max zoom for you guys.

I see it defaults to 18(1:3000) ,
what does this mean???

shane4x4

Supporting Sponsor
Usually 15 is great, but you can totally live with 13 if you don't have enough room/time to download to level 15. The vector maps are also nice since they don't take up as much room.
Accuracy is an entirely different discussion :)

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
Usually 15 is great, but you can totally live with 13 if you don't have enough room/time to download to level 15. The vector maps are also nice since they don't take up as much room.
Accuracy is an entirely different discussion :)

Downloading with Gaia is okay. MotionX GPS, on the other hand, is like downloading at 2400 baud.

Greenbean

B.S. Goodwrench
Ok,

I'll look into that...

Personally can't stand the way Motion X looks,

I have a 50 credit in the app store and am really considering getting the Eastern part of the US from Navigon.

beadblaster

Observer
Gaia 10

Just updated to Gaia 10 and lost all my saved tracks,can't download tracks. All
That shows after downloading are the waypoints. I would not upgrade to 10 as the previous one worked well. I have sent them a email about the problems. I will post when they respond.

carbon60

Explorer
Just updated to Gaia 10 and lost all my saved tracks,can't download tracks. All
That shows after downloading are the waypoints. I would not upgrade to 10 as the previous one worked well. I have sent them a email about the problems. I will post when they respond.

Did you try forcing a sync to Gaia Cloud?

A.

beadblaster

Observer
Ya I did and nothing. Kind of wierd that when you download a track only waypoints show up and no line work. I used to be able to down load zip files( wabdr route from backcountry discovery routes) and now nothing can be downloaded.

Greenbean

B.S. Goodwrench
FWIW I did the iOS 8.3 update on my iPad last night and now my iPad doesn't like my DUAL XGPS 150 now, Argh!!!!

And now none of my GPS apps read it. Technology is great when it works.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles