New Four Wheel Camper owner

Northern Explorer's FWC Finch

After staring at my computer screen for the last hour and a half I finally decided to put my order in for a Finch model Four Wheel Camper. I sold my Fleetwood Neon a few weeks ago. I’m sure the person who bought it will be very satisfied based on what he told me he was going to use it for. I know other people on here are building/have built up Neons for off road expedition type travel, but it just wasn’t for me.

These were my major gripes about the Neon:
First and foremost there is way to many steps involved to set the thing up. This is fine if you are going to set it up for a few days at a base camp and leave it up all weekend. But to have to set it up and break it down every single day all while donating a pint of blood to the local mosquito population just isn’t much fun. Another issue in regards to it needing to be popped up was the accessibility of gear. I could put a lot of gear in it but if I needed to access anything I had to take time to pop it up.

Second, it just isn’t made for off road travel. Larger tires and shocks could be added to help with this but in my opinion this is just a Band-Aid solution. I would rather spend my time and money dialing in the suspension/wheel setup on my truck. Another problem I had in regards to off road travel was all the dust that got inside the camper. This could probably be fixed with enough well placed caulk.

The third problem I had was the fact that in stock form it just had one bed and a slide out couch/bed. Everything else had to be added (countertop for sink and stove, water tank, heater, cooler). All of my additions were functional but everything had to be set up in order to be used.

For those of you that own a Neon I’m sure it can be made to work if you have the desire to do so. It wasn’t all-bad. Towing it (on road) was super easy. Light weight and no blind spots. Another plus was that it only took about a minute to hook it up to my truck. Just back up, set it on the hitch, connect the safety chains and plug in the wire. Putting the Finch on the truck is going to take a little more time and effort. Also, because it’s a trailer, it didn’t affect the load carrying capacity of the truck and you could really carry a lot of gear. The electric breaks were also nice even though it only weighed about 950 pounds. In comparison to the Finch, the second bed of the Neon was large enough to sleep an adult. Since it’s just my wife and myself, the queen size bed in the Finch will do just fine.

The only options I decided on for the Finch was the furnace, the auxiliary battery system with separator and the electric water pump. In the future I may add Yakima tracks, solar panel and an outside floodlight. I may also try to make or have made an arctic pack to insulate the side walls of the pop up area. I will also need to pick up some camper jacks and make a platform to store it on while it’s off the truck. (I am getting the full interior, not the shell model)

The reasons I didn’t get a Four Wheel Camper in the first place was that at the time the only option for my truck was the 5 foot Falcon model. Three things I didn’t like about the Falcon. 1. At the time, they were building it with a 6-foot ceiling. Just not enough head room. 2. It just seemed that it would have been a bit to small for two people to hang out in. 3. It could only be put on a truck with a 5-foot bed. I’ve seen one fitted to a truck with a 6-foot bed but it just didn’t look right on account that it could not be slid forward all the way because of the wheel wells. The Finch solves all of these problems with a 6’4” ceiling height, slightly larger interior with a better layout, and it can be fitted to a truck with a 6-foot bed. In fact, my ideal setup would be 05+ Tacoma access cab and Finch with a swing out bumper. For now I will live with it hanging out the back of my truck approximately 10 inches. Can’t wait to pick it up in about 2 months.:D

Last edited:

lqhikers

Adventurer
fwc smart move!

You will love it.their are a lot of ideas floating around to tweek it for your needs!
Look into air bags or springs you will need them over stock set up!After that its just fun,fun fun.
Drive slow and enjoy "its the journey"
Les Lqhikers

VikingVince

Explorer
WAY TO GO...you're going to enjoy the FWC immensely.
Question: How come the Finch model isn't on the FWC website or is it slang for one of their bird-named models?

VikingVince said:
WAY TO GO...you're going to enjoy the FWC immensely.
Question: How come the Finch model isn't on the FWC website or is it slang for one of their bird-named models?

The Finch is the newest model and they just haven't gotten around to putting it up on the web site yet. They said they were waiting till they had a few pictures with it mounted on a truck first. Also, they are no longer going to produce the Falcon. The Finch is more or less it's replacement.

btw...One other option I seriously thought about was the Flip Pac based mainly on the tricked out setup you have. One of the reasons I went with the FWC is because toppers are very specific as to what truck they fit on. I wanted something that would fit future trucks that I may purchase of yet to be determined make or model.

Last edited:

VikingVince

Explorer
Northern Explorer said:

btw...One other option I seriously thought about was the Flip Pac bases mainly on the tricked out setup you have. One of the reasons I went with the FWC is because toppers are very specific as to what truck they fit on. I wanted something that would fit future trucks that I may purchase of yet to be determined make or model.

thanks...:wavey:...I went with the Flippac b/c I got it for $700!! I really enjoy it but you made a good choice. My next rig will very likely be a FWC.

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Congratulations NE - great news! :jumping:

I think the Finch is the perfect size for trucks with the 5' bed. The Falcon was just too darned small.

Did FWC give you an idea on the turn-around time? I recently heard they're only about 5 weeks out on new orders, which should be perfect timing for you and the summer season.

Sounds like you went with some nice options. The exterior light is a nice feature. I only need it every now and then but it's nice to have. I'm wishing I had the Fantastic Fan 12v roof vent after seeing one recently at a trade show. Do they not still offer the manual jacks? I have them and they work well. Not fast, but well.

We'll look forward to seeing pics of it in your area soon. I'm really looking forward to bringing mine to the Great Lakes region this Fall. Congrats again. You made the right call. It's a whole different ballgame when you're rolling with a FWC.

:beer:

kcowyo said:
Congratulations NE - great news! :jumping:

I think the Finch is the perfect size for trucks with the 5' bed. The Falcon was just too darned small.

Did FWC give you an idea on the turn-around time? I recently heard they're only about 5 weeks out on new orders, which should be perfect timing for you and the summer season.

Sounds like you went with some nice options. The exterior light is a nice feature. I only need it every now and then but it's nice to have. I'm wishing I had the Fantastic Fan 12v roof vent after seeing one recently at a trade show. Do they not still offer the manual jacks? I have them and they work well. Not fast, but well.

We'll look forward to seeing pics of it in your area soon. I'm really looking forward to bringing mine to the Great Lakes region this Fall. Congrats again. You made the right call. It's a whole different ballgame when you're rolling with a FWC.

:beer:

They said it would take closer to two months on account that they have to have enough campers to fill their delivery truck for the trip to Wisconsin. There is also somewhat of a hefty charge to get it here but I don't have to pay the California sales tax.

I may add the fan at a later time. As for the jacks, I think they still offer the ones you are talking about. I just wanted to keep the weight down as much as I could and I could do without the extra cost.

upcruiser and I might be planning a summer ExPo get together.:campfire: I'm really slow this year getting my summer trip schedule figured out so I don't know when we are going to host it or if I can even be part of it yet. Let one of us know if you plan on coming up this way on your great lakes tour.

Last edited:

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Congrats! I can't wait to get to check it on in person. This might be a route I go with the Tundra but I've yet to see a FWC up close.

Well look at that

:cool: My camper on the Four Wheel camper web site

and here

and here with dead pigon still stuck in the grill

triptogetcamper006.jpg

Last edited:

chnlisle

Adventurer
Goldmine

Goldmine camp is on the San Juan River near Bluff Utah. Might be headed there first week in August.
Heres the lat & long:
37.242133,-109.629843

Last edited:
First Upgrade

New Lights

I got this idea from reading this thread over at the Wander The West forum.

I decided to replace the 12-volt incandescent bulbs with 36-LED cards.

Airliftandled025.jpg

I decided to do this for two main reasons. First, less amp draw means the battery will last longer between charges. I’m not sure what the amp rating is for the original incandescent bulbs, or for the led pack, but the web site that supplies the led packs claim them to be 900% more efficient. And second, the led packs give off much less heat. This is important because of the way the sidewall material sits up against the lamp when the roof is in the down position. There have been occasions when a lamp has either been left on accidentally or the switch has been bumped into the on position and a hole was burned into the sidewall material.

ledlighting.jpg

There are two different choices in color output. Cool White and Warm White. I wasn’t sure which one I was going to like so I just ordered one warm white bulb. There are a total of 4 bulbs on the inside of my camper.

This picture shows the original incandescent bulb on the left and the warm white 36-led card on the right.
Airliftandled026.jpg

Even after the comparison I still wasn't sure if I liked the color output or brightness so I ended up ordering one more warm white led pack and two cool white led packs.

Here are some more comparison photos I took after the shipment arrived.

Incandescent on left...Cool White on right
ledlighting004.jpg

Cool White on left...Warm White on right
ledlighting002.jpg

I decided to put both Cool White led packs over the countertop area and both Warm White led packs over the couch area.
ledlighting006.jpg

In summery I would say that the Cool White appear to have a light spectrum resembling fluorescent lights and the Warm White appear to have a light spectrum more closely resembling natural (or at least incandescent) light. Neither one is as bright as the incandescent bulbs that came with the camper, but the cool white appear to be slightly brighter. Either the Cool White or the Warm White would be sufficiently bright enough to light the inside of the camper considering it is such a small space and there are four lights.

One thing I noticed was that the second Warm White led pack I ordered has a slightly different light output then the first.

Original order on right...second order on left
ledlighting005.jpg

This could probably be avoided by ordering all of the led packs at the same time thus insuring they are made in the same batch.

One more thing to consider. The shipping was the same when I ordered one led pack as it was when I ordered three led packs.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior