Old Spare Tire Space, what should I use it for?

I copied Willman's tire carrier and it was finished this week. I own a transmission and auto repair shop and had my exhaust tech build it for me when we were slow.

I have thought about what I should put in the old spare location. I thought about a poly tank for water. If I start doing some back country driving it would be good for, cooking, showering and drinking. Any other first gen double cab guys put anything in that spare tire location?photo.jpg

2scars

Adventurer
I vote for water tank. I haven't really been on a long enough trip to warrant the aux gas tank, but I would have loved a shower a couple times out in Moab in August.

My .02

p nut

butter
I'd think the first choice would be a gas tank. Extended range would be awesome without having to carry jerry cans.

Water tank is a great idea, too, especially if you're going to a place with no water.

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
Water would be easiest, but what do you want to do?..

Air, water, fuel... I think you guys have pretty much covered it. :iagree:

Take a hard look at your priorities. The most difficult and expensive to accomplish would probably be fuel, followed by pressurized air, and then water.

Strapping a water tank up with a quick-disconnect line for an RV pump faucet that could attach to your bumper would be relatively easy, not requiring power from the truck.

It all comes to what will be a bigger priority most often to you.

AxleIke

Adventurer
I've got the same issue on my 4runner.

I'm planning to build a small box that can hold tools, parts, fluids, etc, so that the interior of the truck can be used more effectively.

Toyotero

Explorer
Fuel tank if you need the extended range. Scott Brady's install in his Tacoma was pretty clean. I personally dislike filling with gas cans.
http://www.expeditionswest.com/equipment/tacoma/fuel_tank.html

A water tank would be nice... 10 gallons with the mass low and not taking up space in the bed.
http://expeditionportal.com/equipment/vehicles/feature_vehicle/part2/part2.html

A pressurized air tank is a common item to stash under there, but your bumper looks like it would be a nice volume to use as a tank if air-tight.

Cheers.

MtnClimber

Ready To Explore!
If you're thinking of a fuel tank, one from a 98-01 Jeep Cherokee will fit nicely, fill/vent lines are on the same side, and you could probably use the XJ tank straps. The fuel pump for an XJ is simple too, 2 wires for the pump, 2 wires for the sending unit. The tank is 20 gallons too.

Where I usually go in my 01 DC I only really need an extra 10 gallons (rarely 15 gallons), and 10 gallons of water would be nice to have. Maybe a combo of both? It's entirely upta your needs of course ;)

Patio

Observer
TOTAL CHAOS did a 10 gallon water tank in the stock spare tire location on their 2014 Tacoma Double Cab build. It uses the Synergy MFG Sit.Shower.Shave Kit with the shower nozzle stored in one of the compartments in the bed. More pics can be seen on their site here: http://www.chaosfab.com/Toyota-Tacoma-4x4

Attachments

• total-chaos-project-4x4-tacoma-expedition-truck (6).jpg
    total-chaos-project-4x4-tacoma-expedition-truck (6).jpg
    388.2 KB · Views: 12
  • total-chaos-project-4x4-tacoma-expedition-truck (5).jpg
    total-chaos-project-4x4-tacoma-expedition-truck (5).jpg
    289.9 KB · Views: 12
  • total-chaos-project-4x4-tacoma-expedition-truck (16).jpg
    total-chaos-project-4x4-tacoma-expedition-truck (16).jpg
    388.6 KB · Views: 14

Forum statistics

Threads