Bay Area - Recommendation for a shop to do a timing belt change on 3rd Gen 4runner ?

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
I am looking to get the timing belt/water pump done on my 4Runner. I called a couple places in the Bay Area (dealership) and they wanted $1100-$1200+taxes…seems a bit steep.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a shop anywhere in the Bay Area/Sacramento area? Even Reno are is fine…

thank you!

Christian

v_man

Explorer
I've had several excellent experiences with Yodaman in Santa Rosa . He's got pretty good rates , only thing is his turn around time can be kinda slow ...

edit : now that I think about it $1,100 doesn't seem that steep from a dealer ...

djsixbillion

Adventurer
$1,100 is a bit steep, but not too bad. I just had the same job done on my wife's 4th gen (V8) at Elk Grove Toyota here in Sac for right around $1k, all in. If you're willing to drive a bit, you might inquire what Mudrak's in Sonoma would charge. I like to plug Gary's shop whenever I get the chance, he's a great guy and awesome Toyota mechanic.

montypower

Adventure Time!
Why not do it yourself. I helped a buddy do his several years ago. Took about 4hrs IIRC. Extremely easy motor to work on.

flyinbrick

First of all, I would also do idler/roller/tensioner and crank/cam seals while you are at it. Also get a new crank bolt (non-reusable according to FSM) and 3 gallons coolant. I recently bought a kit like this on eBay from aircabinman, a well-known seller. This kit has good quality OES parts but he has other kits also (without drive belts, Toyota OEM, etc.) Go see Brian at Toy Auto Clinic in Redwood city - he charged me $300 labor to install everything in the kit. Super nice guy but book ahead. Total cost: around $600 including all the "might-as-well-do" extras.

Here is an excellent write-up that includes a comprehensive parts list. I thought about doing it myself, but it would have cost about $125 for the crank pulley holder (unless you can make one) and tensioner tool. For an extra $175, I thought it was worth farming it out.

Last edited:

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I'm on the fence with Walnut Creek Toyota they have done work on two different Toyotas for me since 94 and I've had afew cases where the job wasn't done or wasn't done right and I had to take the truck back and pull the Service manager out of office and have a little talk with him. Second time around they seemed to get it right but I hate wasting my time on that and they should know better! Especially for costly jobs which case both of these were costly 2nd time around was at no cost to me however!

I've heard good things about Diablo Offroad and Performance but have not take a vehicle to them yet. I have about another year or so before my Sequoia needs the full timing belt water pump job I hope to sort out where I want that done before then. I simply don't have the time to do it my self.

2000m2

Observer
First of all, I would also do idler/roller/tensioner and crank/cam seals while you are at it. Also get a new crank bolt (non-reusable according to FSM) and 3 gallons coolant. I recently bought a kit like this on eBay from aircabinman, a well-known seller. This kit has good quality OES parts but he has other kits also (without drive belts, Toyota OEM, etc.) Go see Brian at Toy Auto Clinic in Redwood city - he charged me $300 labor to install everything in the kit. Super nice guy but book ahead. Total cost: around $600 including all the "might-as-well-do" extras.

Here is an excellent write-up that includes a comprehensive parts list. I thought about doing it myself, but it would have cost about $125 for the crank pulley holder (unless you can make one) and tensioner tool. For an extra $175, I thought it was worth farming it out.

Thanks for the recommendation. I went to Toy Auto Clinic and they did a great job, very reasonably priced compared to everyone else around. They did not let me bring my own parts though.

Doc_

Sammich!
Late to get on this train, but I'd like to add another vote for Yodaman; Larry is the best Toyota truck guy in the area. I've been a regular customer of his since he opened up in his current location.
He's a former dealership tech, so every job comes with an absolutely thorough writeup of any other concerns observed while working.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne