Subaru as "adventure mobile"

tarditi

Explorer
was an interesting article... to each their own, I suppose, but this is the crowd and stuff I try to avoid when overlanding and camping, personally.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
This is why I carry a tow strap. So when they are hooked up on stuff they think they can get over, I can pop them off of said stuff! ha ha ha. ;)

calicamper

Expedition Leader
As a Former Toyota 4runner owner replaced with a 2001 Legacy GT Limited 5spd which we put 180,000 miles on doing very similar trips and having owned a mint and awesome 93 Land Cruiser for 8yrs during that same period the old GT replaced with the modern OB cvt and the old LC replaced with a Sequoia limited AWD I will say our top choice for road trips and camping trips has always been the subaru. It's no rock crawler but it eats up the miles and does dirt and nasty dirt roads just fine. Never been stuck in the Subaru but I have been stuck in the old 4runner.

I think my ideal dream rig is a diesel 4dr midsized 4x4 pickup and the ultimate would be flat bed FWC on the back. The diesel interest would be strictly for range. Over 15yrs doing lots of road trips with the subarus and camping trips fuel range is really nice! We start our camping season in May the OB will be hauling our LifeTime tent trailer the original design along with mom and dads kid hauling bikes which consist of a trailer bike on moms rig and dads really ancient MT bike reincarnated into what the family calls the Mule given by the time the panniers are full of day trip gear and food along with my son on the seat in the back its probably pushing almost 100lbs without me. Works great been doing this for the past 5yrs.

With all that crap the 2.5 CVt subaru runs around 21-25mpg pending speeds and has plenty of capacity given the trailer is only 900lbs empty. I like my trucks but the Subaru soaks up the miles soooooooo much nicer!

kojackJKU

Yeah, I had a 2001 legacy Gt, It was a lemon. I had 7000 dollars worth of bills for repairs etc. The warranty only covered parts....not labour. That left a sour taste in my mouth. But we are digging the new xv. We would love to have one for trips for my wife and I.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
My 2001 had 2 miles on it when I picked it up. Beat the living snot out of it for 180,000 miles lots of boat towing too! Only replaced it given we needed the larger rear seat space of the new 2010's when they came out. Would have kept it otherwise. The 2010 is a totally different machine better cooling and better heat shedding ability for sure. The CVT has been good so far no complaints. I never did like the OB handling though still don't. I bought my mom a 2010 Legacy I'd much rather have the Legacy than the OB. The XV is great I like them but too small for us. We pretty much max out the larger Legacy Platform on a regular basis with the kids and all our crap.

Hondaslayer

Adventurer
Yeah, I had a 2001 legacy Gt, It was a lemon. I had 7000 dollars worth of bills for repairs etc. The warranty only covered parts....not labour. That left a sour taste in my mouth. But we are digging the new xv. We would love to have one for trips for my wife and I.

Sounds like you either had an aftermarket extended service contract, or you were out of warranty and SCI extended goodwill coverage of the parts. Standard warranty on the 01 would be 3/36 bumper to bumper (includes wipers and brake pads!) and 5/60 on the powertrain. SCI and SOA both cover parts and labor for the entirety of the warranty period. Subaru added security extended service contracts ("extended warranty") also cover parts and labor.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Sounds like you either had an aftermarket extended service contract, or you were out of warranty and SCI extended goodwill coverage of the parts. Standard warranty on the 01 would be 3/36 bumper to bumper (includes wipers and brake pads!) and 5/60 on the powertrain. SCI and SOA both cover parts and labor for the entirety of the warranty period. Subaru added security extended service contracts ("extended warranty") also cover parts and labor.

Only major issue we had Subaru HQ called me and said hey were replacing the driverside HG its leaking give us another day. I dropped it off for a 60K service. No issues and no issues after that. It was out of warranty also I had zero extended anything my guess is that it fell under the range of vin numbers they had known faulty Head Gaskets etc. 180,000 miles it was leak free zero issues.

kojackJKU

No, The car was bought brand new and I owned it for 7 months. and traded because of the poor service I got with it.

The Soob is pretty much perfect for us! It's no crawler, but goes where we want to go with our only vehicle. I'd rather a Jeep or something in the bush, but I can actually stuff more into the car, as long as it's not super heavy. No interest in DD'ing a thirstier rig. Surprisingly capable, even in it's stock form. On the highway, it's great. On the backroads, it's still comfy cozy. Does it have room for a laptop navigation system, interior sleeping, or have the strength to heft a RTT? No, but it will take us all across the country on anything resembling a road at some point, and with some simple tools and gear, can be gotten through the odd rough spot. Winter is my favourite season, and when I go out blizzard cruising, I'm glad I'm not in a 2dr. Jeep. Not that I would turn one away! If the Forester sat a couple inches higher, had a real low range or super low first gear/starting ratio, it could raise a few eyebrows.

GregSplett

Adventurer
If the Forester sat a couple inches higher, had a real low range or super low first gear/starting ratio, it could raise a few eyebrows.

Amen

Hodaka

Adventurer
All do-able. So many people spend thou$and$ on their rigs to make them into what they want. A lift and a dual range tranny in a Forester is not so expensive (on older ones, anyways).

Imprezive

Last edited:

libarata

Expedition Leader
They would be sold that way, if they were meant to be offroaders. They are for wet, muddy, or snow covered dirt roads. There are a few option for upwards of two inches lift, skid plates, light bars, and tire options.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94