"Good" clip on plastic taps?

jsmoriss

Explorer
Hi everyone,

I usually solder & shrink-wrap, but I have to tap into a circuit where I have _very_ limited space. So limited that I think the only way to tap into this circuit is to use those plastic clip on taps. I've always thought these things were cheap and crappy, but I wonder if there are actually "quality" plastic clip on taps available. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
js.

TheRoadie

Explorer
Those 3M tap connectors are UL listed, and I've used hundreds over the years without a failure, but they do make you think the main conductor is going to be weakened by the slotted metal piece.

I've read good reviews for these Posi-Taps, but haven't ever used one: http://www.posi-lock.com/posiplug.html

They also list gold-plated ones, presumably for the stereo installers, and very nice-looking waterproof items and in-line fuse holders.

They list the following retailers:

Carquest - All New Products
Napa - All New Products
Orschlen Farm & Home - Posi-Lock, Posi-Twist
Crutchfield - Mobile Electronic Kits, Posi-Twist, Posi-Taps, Blade Fuseholder
Harbor Freight - Posi-Locks, Posi-Taps, Blade Fuseholder

posi-tap_n2_a2.jpg

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
The problem that I have with those in-line splices/taps is that they open up the conductor to corrosion. There is no way to seal the compromised insulation against moisture intrusion. I would sooner cut off a section of insulation, do a Western-Union Splice, and cover with self-fusing tape than use one of those things.

jsmoriss

Explorer
ntsqd said:
...cover with self-fusing tape than use one of those things.

Ah! I'd forgotten about 'shrink wrap tape! Of course! :) Did you have specific tape to suggest?

Thanks!
js.

Jeep

Supporting Sponsor: Overland Explorer Expedition V
I've had to use the posi taps a couple of times, I filled them with silicone before piercing the wire which is a little messy but seals pretty good in the end, the ones I used didn't have a slotted metal part that did the cutting, they had a needle that pieced the insulation instead. It's still hard to beat solder and shrink tube.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
jsmoriss said:
Ah! I'd forgotten about 'shrink wrap tape! Of course! :) Did you have specific tape to suggest?

Thanks!
js.
I've used the 3M product, but I don't recall the part number. A friend uses this stuff at his work (a power plant) and sometimes I get blessed with a remnant roll of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier