Engle fridge power plug question

I need some tips on keeping the plug on the back of the fridge secured in its socket.

While it does not happen all of the time, every once in awhile I will find that the plug has dislodged itself and my fridge has no power. For reference, this fridge is mounted on the slide in a AT Horizon. Thanx.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
robert j. yates said:
I need some tips on keeping the plug on the back of the fridge secured in its socket.

While it does not happen all of the time, every once in awhile I will find that the plug has dislodged itself and my fridge has no power. For reference, this fridge is mounted on the slide in a AT Horizon. Thanx.

Robert

The 12 volt marine grade socket you have will fit one of our locking plugs. You push the plug into the socket and twist it to lock it in place.

The issue with the Engel is the standard cord comes with a built in Engel fuse in the socket. So it use the locking plug you have to retro fit an Engel Hardwired D/C power cord which has the fuse built into the cord.

If you want to go that route let me know and we'll order the Engel part for you, it's $28.50

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
If you have the transit bag, you could sew some elastic to the opening so that it ran over the top of the plug when installed....

How about wrapping the male plug end with a bit of electrical tape so that it fits tighter?

I've never had that issue...maybe the plug is a tad small, or the plastic has gotten a bit old and shrunk? New cord? Wil at SierraExpeditions has 'em.

-H-

teotwaki

Excelsior!
If the plug still fits well into the socket and is not loose then you may want some sort of strain relief to keep the cable from being tugged. It may be that each time you slide the drawer out the main cable is tugged and it wobbles the plug a little, gradually loosening the plug up until road vibration or other bumps cause the plug to fall out.

The fridge is relatively new...less than a year so I doubt the cord/plug is worn. The plug seems to click into place OK but it definately does not seem to lock. There is also plenty of slack in the cord so that the slide shouldn't be tugging it unless its catching on something.

Martyn.....I am not sure I understand. Engle makes a locking plug that can be retro'd for $29 bux? If so....I'd like to go that route. Electrical tape is a little butch for me LOL.

Martyn

robert j. yates said:
The fridge is relatively new...less than a year so I doubt the cord/plug is worn. The plug seems to click into place OK but it definately does not seem to lock. There is also plenty of slack in the cord so that the slide shouldn't be tugging it unless its catching on something.

Martyn.....I am not sure I understand. Engle makes a locking plug that can be retro'd for $29 bux? If so....I'd like to go that route. Electrical tape is a little butch for me LOL.

Robert

Two separate things.
We have a locking plug that fits the socket in the trailer.
Engel sells are hardwired cable with the fuse built into it.

The hardwired cable does not have a plug on the end of it. One of the locking plugs needs to be attached to the hardwired cable.

Martyn

Small update.

We have found that the Engel fuse can replace the fuse that is inside the locking plug.

Next step is we have to see if the gauge of wire that Engel uses will fit inside the plug.

If this works then it may just be a matter of cutting the old plug off and wiring a new locking plug on.

I'll have to talk to Engel to find out what their policy is on modifications like this.

Meanwhile I'd suggest you take the two outer prongs on the standard plug and bend them out slightly so the plug grips the socket a little more tightly.

Thanx Martyn....I'll take your advice on the prongs and wait for your update from Engle. Luckily my trip was done and I was home and unpacking when I found out yesterday that the plug had again popped off. All I lost were some snacks and a carton of eggs.

Martyn

robert j. yates said:
Thanx Martyn....I'll take your advice on the prongs and wait for your update from Engle. Luckily my trip was done and I was home and unpacking when I found out yesterday that the plug had again popped off. All I lost were some snacks and a carton of eggs.

Good thing beer doesn't go off. :sombrero:

DaktariEd

2005, 2006 Tech Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
Robert....
I may have experienced the same thing. I, too, have my Engel mounted on the AT Slide Tray. The plug (the "female" end on the fridge...not the male end) pulls out or comes loose without apparent provocation.

I solved the problem by adding a small plastic wire/cable clamp to the metal tray back just to the side of the plug. The power cord can now move as the slide is operated, but there is no tug on the plug itself. No more unplugging over the past year or so since the install.

HTH,
Ed

safari.gif

DaktariEd said:
Robert....
I may have experienced the same thing. I, too, have my Engel mounted on the AT Slide Tray. The plug (the "female" end on the fridge...not the male end) pulls out or comes loose without apparent provocation.

I solved the problem by adding a small plastic wire/cable clamp to the metal tray back just to the side of the plug. The power cord can now move as the slide is operated, but there is no tug on the plug itself. No more unplugging over the past year or so since the install.

HTH,
Ed

Actually...since I haven't had time to sit down and fiddle with it since I got home, that does help. Thanx much.

Martyn said:
Good thing beer doesn't go off. :sombrero:

.......LOL, the plug incident was post consumption ;)

Green Ganesha

Adventurer
One way to ensure a secure vibration-proof connection for the Engel is to take advantage of their "Posi-Fit" connector design. You can unscrew the cigarette-lighter tip from the Engel power cord, revealing a two-pin connector (with a keyway to ensure correct polarity). It's the connector on the left:

tl451.jpg

This connector plugs into Engel's Posi-Fit socket (which you need to purchase separately):

tl468.jpg

Once connected, the plug locks to the socket with a threaded sleeve.

Unfortunately, I've only been able to order the Posi-Fit sockets from Australia, so it becomes a somewhat pricey solution. Google Engel ASPAN (for 0.3m leads) or APAN (for 4m leads).

teotwaki

Excelsior!
One way to ensure a secure vibration-proof connection for the Engel is to take advantage of their "Posi-Fit" connector design. You can unscrew the cigarette-lighter tip from the Engel power cord, revealing a two-pin connector (with a keyway to ensure correct polarity). It's the connector on the left:

tl451.jpg

This connector plugs into Engel's Posi-Fit socket (which you need to purchase separately):

tl468.jpg

Once connected, the plug locks to the socket with a threaded sleeve.

Unfortunately, I've only been able to order the Posi-Fit sockets from Australia, so it becomes a somewhat pricey solution. Google Engel ASPAN (for 0.3m leads) or APAN (for 4m leads).

Resurrecting an OLD thread. :)

Has Engle contiinued to make the power plugs this way on all current freezer-fridges? I'm going to run out to my truck as soon as I can and look at my own unit.

Fergie

Expedition Leader
You did get an old thread!!

After seeing Trevor's plug in DV several years ago, I bought one from Wil at Sierra Expeditions and have it mounted in the LC....no more duct tape holding the plug in to the cheapie West Marine outlet.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
You did get an old thread!!

After seeing Trevor's plug in DV several years ago, I bought one from Wil at Sierra Expeditions and have it mounted in the LC....no more duct tape holding the plug in to the cheapie West Marine outlet.

did you buy a SOCKET and did your Engel's Cig Lighter Plug have a cap that unscrewed to reveal the two prongs to match the socket? Or.....?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior