97 E350 Crestline Ambo Build/Mod

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader

Upgraded the overhead light to a pair of LED panels. Something like 36 LEDs each... I don’t remember the lumens offhand, but the are very bright.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I soldered a female plug to the OEM wiring and then plugged in two panels similar to the one pictured above. The dome light is now super bright... perhaps one panel would have been enough... ;)

It almost feels like there’s a super even & bright headlight is mounted on the ceiling... no more ambient light. I’d consider a dimmer, but I usually want bright light in the cab when I turn it on... and there’s already a map light on the centre console with two brightness levels if I want dim light that won’t blind me while driving.

Last edited:

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Now that the weather is getting warmer, I’m once again considering getting a 200-230mm 12v computer fan to install in the door window that opens in the side Ambulance door. The ambulance up-fitters fans using 3” ducts are loud an ineffective. Since there are no other windows that open, more rear ventilation is needed.

Has anyone used a 200mm (8”) computer fan? Are they quiet? Low power draw?

I’m trying to avoid a roof vent because I regularly have things brush over the top of my 8’6” tall rig and I don’t want to go taller than necessary. The 2” for the solar panel is already going to be enough. I’ve also considered a small roof vent underneath the solar panel to increase flow while reducing solar panel temperature so the same time. :D

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I put a small Ventline Vanair popup roof vent in the existing hole in my ambo roof. Worked ok, more breeze is always better. Nice feature is it pulls shut and seals off the hole.
I really like the look of those, Thanks.

I'm hoping to try a fan in the window first... and if it needs more, I'll add an exhaust fan on the roof also.

eporter

Adventurer
I’ve seen some ambo vent options where the vent is on the back rear face by the side door. Anytime you can get cross ventilation going that’s really going to help. Maybe two computer fans, one in the side door window and another mounted in the back wall? You could make both reversible such that one could push and the other could pull depending on whatever works best.

My point with that vanair fan is that it’s probably one of the better minimal, low profile, roof options. I used it at burning man along with a homemade swamp cooler that had a computer case fan in it. It worked pretty well and the fan was quiet. Still, the CFM of a proper fantastic fan or maxxair is pretty hard to beat.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I’ve seen some ambo vent options where the vent is on the back rear face by the side door. Anytime you can get cross ventilation going that’s really going to help. Maybe two computer fans, one in the side door window and another mounted in the back wall? You could make both reversible such that one could push and the other could pull depending on whatever works best.

My point with that vanair fan is that it’s probably one of the better minimal, low profile, roof options. I used it at burning man along with a homemade swamp cooler that had a computer case fan in it. It worked pretty well and the fan was quiet. Still, the CFM of a proper fantastic fan or maxxair is pretty hard to beat.

The ambulance came equipped with an intake and an exhaust fan from the up-fitter... but they tend to be loud and not super effective. I’m aware I can get quieter versions... but I’m avoiding the expense atm,

Our temps here are fairly mild... but in the sun it’ll get warm in the back. The big roof fans are great, but I’d liked levelled the first week. Any forced air movement would do the trick.

Many of the 200mm are 20ish dB and move 125 cfm of air. Super quiet, low draw, decent cfm... about $16 usd vs 900 cfm for $300.

patoz

Expedition Leader
Looks good! (y) Now, drill some holes in those flanges on each side for shackles, and create some tow/winch points.

iggi

Ian
I'm in the process of setting up a couple 140mm fans in the factory intake/exhaust holes. I used a really low power one first but it's pretty much useless. Put one in temporary on the intake that moves 52 CFM and it seems ok. Just need to cut up some pipe and then put it's twin on the exhaust. Part of this weeks task list before the long weekend. I'll let you know how it goes.

Ian

Now that the weather is getting warmer, I’m once again considering getting a 200-230mm 12v computer fan to install in the door window that opens in the side Ambulance door. The ambulance up-fitters fans using 3” ducts are loud an ineffective. Since there are no other windows that open, more rear ventilation is needed.

Has anyone used a 200mm (8”) computer fan? Are they quiet? Low power draw?

I’m trying to avoid a roof vent because I regularly have things brush over the top of my 8’6” tall rig and I don’t want to go taller than necessary. The 2” for the solar panel is already going to be enough. I’ve also considered a small roof vent underneath the solar panel to increase flow while reducing solar panel temperature so the same time. :D

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader

The original sender has given me varying results. Cleaning the connections made it work for a while, but I wanted a gauge that moved rather just saying I have pressure. So far, it looks the same even though it now has a real sender. The linked thread has more details.

C0084E99-8CF3-4B70-8EF1-BE11DDFA8655.jpeg6363C8FC-E622-46C0-A794-E6F6337B3D6D.jpeg10427258-8061-4720-9CDC-2EFF003253F5.jpeg

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader

The original sender has given me varying results. Cleaning the connections made it work for a while, but I wanted a gauge that moved rather just saying I have pressure. So far, it looks the same even though it now has a real sender. The linked thread has more details.

View attachment 543006View attachment 543007View attachment 543008
If you're considering this mod, don't. The dash gauge only has one coil so it doesn't work with a sender. I'll need an older dash gauge to make it work. It hasn't been worth the headache and expense.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I know the tires aren't what most of you are after... but the previous set I had on the rear have taken me through deep snow and ice like it was nothing... the benefit of 6K+ lbs and a Limited Slip Differential.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke