97 E350 Crestline Ambo Build/Mod

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Anyone fix slop in the drivers outside handle of an E-Series van? It works for now... but at the very end of it's range. If it develops any more slop, it wont open the door anymore. ATM, it releases the latch when the handle is at 85 deg. to the van body.

I havent mucked about with an E-series specificaly, but most times doors are all about rod style linkages and plastic connectors. The plastic wears out and the rods can get tweaked/bent over time, for various reasons.

I'd pull the door panel and plastic barrier off so you can see the guts, and put the handle through its range of motion while watching whats going on. The reason for your slop will most likely show itseldf pretty quick, and usually is not a difficult or expensive fix.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I'll pull the panel when I've got some spare time. From some further research, it sounds like it's a cable system and the end is buggered. A new cables or a repair end wil likely be needed... If they're the same on both sides, I might get a pasenger side one from the wreckers if I can find a van there... None of them have diesels, but this won't matter.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Cold Start

:wings:

Went out today. Temp was 1deg C below freezing, waited till the wait to start light turned off, and started the truck. She smoked for a bit, but started without a hesitation.

I'm sure I've got a couple dead glow plugs, but the Strandcor relay I bought from DieselORings.com has done the trick.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
FUBAR

Here's what the old relay looked like, I think it could have been cleaned up and worked for another 10 years...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    486.5 KB · Views: 57
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    492.1 KB · Views: 59
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    341 KB · Views: 53

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
And yes, the crack in the second picture does go all the way to the bottom.

As you can see, the new unit looks nothing like to old one. But all the wires reach, and it works AWESOME!

Last edited:

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Removing 7 years of Abuse

Mr. Clean Magic Erasers and a lot of elbow grease are slowly removing the evidence of being a contractors truck.

After washing, In progress, After

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    350.2 KB · Views: 41
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    402.4 KB · Views: 43
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    340.4 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
There was one small spot that had a to burn, it was about 1/4" around. It looked almost like a cigarette burn. I was able remove the burn by scraping the surface with the tip of a sharp knife. The plastic seems to be white all the way through.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Got these from a Neighbor

Must be Christmas...image.jpg

Before he parted out the ambulance, the front end, calipers, rotors, pads, coil springs, etc... Had recently been replaced.

He still has the complete exhaust, fuel tank, and much more up for grabs.

PM me if you need any E350 parts... Shipping on bigger parts could be an issue, but I've got access to all sorts of stuff.

Last edited:

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Moving fan control

I'm thinking of moving the camera mount to where the fan speed knob is, and moving the speed knob towards the bottom of the space... Doable?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    360.7 KB · Views: 37

huskyhauler

Adventurer
How is the rear awning installed? I'm thinking of adding an awning to the side and rear of my ambulance but the lights are in the way. Do you have any other photos of it?

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
The rear awning has two slots cut into the roof and two bolts going through the back wall. Not the way I'd mount it, but it works. It's off the truck till I cut it down to the width of the box. I do have some other pics I can post later.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Drivers door handle broke... Fixing it moved up the list.

The handle has been swinging out for as long as I've owned it. Yesterday, it stopped opening the door. I removed the door panel and found the 'pin' broke off. Since the handle has a graphic wrap on it I opted to repair it rather than replace. I drilled a hole and threaded in a self tapping bolt.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    381.3 KB · Views: 32
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    375.1 KB · Views: 31

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Checked at the Ford Dealership... Apparently they're a couple outstanding recalls.

FYI there were recalls for 12/96 7.3 Equipped E350s.

In my case:

Cam Position Sensor.

Sensor for the cruise control (potential to catch fire) on the master cylinder.

I'd check your vans for recalls... You could be surprised, these were from many years back on a Government owned vehicle.

A little luck, and my cruise control will turn on after the repair. :D

The recalls were from 2007, and 2009, and I believe it was retired in 2007.

Last edited:

huskyhauler

Adventurer
Checked at the Ford Dealership... Apparently they're a couple outstanding recalls.

FYI there were recalls for 12/96 7.3 Equipped E350s.

In my case:

Cam Position Sensor.

Sensor for the cruise control (potential to catch fire) on the master cylinder.

I'd check your vans for recalls... You could be surprised, these were from many years back on a Government owned vehicle.

A little luck, and my cruise control will turn on after the repair. :D

The recalls were from 2007, and 2009, and I believe it was retired in 2007.

Good call. I'll be checking my rig today.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles