97 E350 Crestline Ambo Build/Mod

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Google found me a search on Ford.com which allowed me to check by VIN #... It matched what the dealership had.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Sometimes I find that four seats aren't enough. I'd like to install a three seat bench in the third row that could be easily removed when camping, hauling, or using it as an office. In a perfect world it would have integrated seat belts, be easily removed, and not leave big holes or raised tripping hazards in the floor.

Any ideas?

I saw GMC Sienna seats that looked decent... but they don't quite tick all the boxes.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Nothing too exciting...

Had a 1/4" diameter screw taken out of one of the front tires a couple weeks back. I had the wheel balanced while they were at it, the improvement was quite noticeable.

Yesterday I noticed the inner drivers side dually was flat... the valve had broken. While I was there I had them look at the other front tire... turns out the rim was bent. Good thing I had a spare with me.

huskyhauler

Adventurer
Sometimes I find that four seats aren't enough. I'd like to install a three seat bench in the third row that could be easily removed when camping, hauling, or using it as an office. In a perfect world it would have integrated seat belts, be easily removed, and not leave big holes or raised tripping hazards in the floor.

Any ideas?

I saw GMC Sienna seats that looked decent... but they don't quite tick all the boxes.

Can you post some pictures of your current interior setup to help with the brainstorming?

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Gov Surplus Tires

Bought four new tires, probably didn't have 20 miles on them. Stock size, proper load range, not bald... Truck rolls nicer, handles better, performs better, and now has straight rims. :D

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    546.7 KB · Views: 34
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    516.6 KB · Views: 34

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Couple new things...

19" LCD TV with DVD $25 from the local classifieds + $25 Ikea wall mount = piece and quiet $Priceless.

Also replaced the Ignition switch... Think I finally found the source of the intermittent no crank. The slider switch binds at the end of the throw. The harness was also loose where it connected to it. Dug through the parts pile and had a newer one installed in a few minutes. Time will tell for sure, but so far so good.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
The replacement ignition switch didn't resolve the issue. The next time it acted up, I plugged the old switch back in and operated it manually. It cranked no problem. I plugged the switch back in, still no crank when the key was turned. However when the steering wheel is tilted upwards it works again. Conclusion: the linkage between the switch and the lock is worn out... Time to investigate my spare steering column.

Stay tuned... More to come.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
image.jpgimage.jpgBeen side tracked with the 40...
4 years ago I started making a hood ornament, finally go access to a milling machine to finish.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Back to the Ambo...
Any recommendations on brakes for the the rear brake shoes for a FF Dana 70 rear? And no, as much as I love discs, they're not on the list this decade.

For the rear axle, which oil? 75W140 GL5 seems to be recommended with LSD additive. Any favourite or unfavorites? I've been getting some shudder/clunks when turning into tight parking spaces. It's a a D70-2U with 4.10 & factory LSD.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
image.jpg
Touched up the paint on some new parts. After scraping, sanding, and making a big mess I brushed on some gloss black to make these parts look as good as they are. Most were replaced just before the nose of the donor ambulance was clipped. A few years outside, and they were looking a little worse for wear. Many parts still had sitickers and P/Ns on them. My rig should drive like new again once they're all installed. Not in the picture are new drag links, TREs, and a steering stabilizer which didn't need any paint touch ups.

Last edited:

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
image.jpgDon't you hate it when things brake when you want to work on something else... Even harder to find time now.

BTW, if you've not replaced your shackles, take a good look at them! A van would likely suffer some real damage... :D

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
The Minihoonis have been hard at work...

image.jpg
These parts appeared on the ground behind the rig, and the shiny ones are now beneath it.image.jpg

The front now sits about 1" higher, brakes work better, ball joints are tight, and ride is improved.

That combined with a new Doorman Vacuum pump, and it should be good to go for a while longer... Till new rear shoes and cylinders materialize on the rear axle. I kind of wish there was an easy bolt on disc brake option for the FF Dana 70 axle that kept the E-brake and didn't cost an arm and a leg.

Gotta go, my unicorn is giving birth... ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles