97 E350 Crestline Ambo Build/Mod

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Anyone have snow build up around the side of the transmission and the freeze? After about 100 miles it froze and wouldn't go into N R P. After I knocked it off all is well again.

Should there be a guard/shied over the cable & level on the side of the trans?

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
For Christmas I got these...

cans.jpg

To replace a couple of these mounted to the bulkhead wall.

current.jpg

Mounting them to the wall will take some creativity. The 2 matched SS cans came from Costco

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
They've also got lids, liners, and are bigger.

Trying to turn it into a tidier space... since people always want to look inside.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
IMG_6061.jpg
Haven't done much exciting on the Ambo.

It only snows here every couple years, and usually for only a couple days. This year has been an exception... we've had more snow this year than we usually see in 5-10 years. All I have to say is that a 2WD Crestline ambulance has exceeded my expectations. It doesn't have any trouble on snow and ice covered roads.

I've covered 200 miles of snow covered mountain highways, up ice covered hills, down icy grades, black ice, and split traction. The only thing I've not encountered, is deep snow... at 8500 lbs on 225/75R16 tires I'd be sceptical that it'd manage much over a foot.

Currently the 40 needs some love... but that's where it'll shine. It'll keep going till it is more than 3' deep... then it gets iffy.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Got some recalls taken care of. Seems to run better with new CPS.

0-60mph seems decent at 16-17 sec... for a 9k rig

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Yep... CPS was recalled about 8 years ago. Also the cruise control sensor on the Master Cylinder. Was hoping the Cruise Control would start working... but no luck so far.

Abitibi

Explorer
Gotta look into this for mine then... I'd have to figure if the fleet already dealt with it before I bought it??? Thanks!

Sent from my SGP511 using Tapatalk

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
View attachment 362086

IMG_6296.jpg

Now after the rear have setteled a bit and with cc880s. There is now only 1.5" difference in height over the 12' length of the box vs 5" before. 2" down from the rear springs settling, and 1" higher in the front from the 880s.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Had a friend install new upper and lower ball joints. What a pain. We replaced the TREs at the same time also.

Given it got new front tires, ball joints, and TREs, it was due for a front end alignment. I now have a better understanding of the term Stealership! Ford quoted me $89 for an alignment. One of the better prices I was quoted and they had a rack that'd fit an 8.5' x 21' rig. They said bring in on Wed at 2pm and it'd be ready by 4. Great, leaving on Thursday so that'll work out well.

Dropped it off before 2pm on Wed, and told them where the spare camber/castor bushings were in case they were needed. 3:50 they call me and tell me the car currently on the alignment rack won't be done till morning and mine would be ready by 10:30. Given my limited options I chose to leave it in their shop overnight, find a different way home, and pick it up in the morning. 10:10 I call them to check on the status since I had a 11:00 am commitment to work around. Well... it was going to need a different bushing... they'd ordered one about 10 minutes ago, but it should be ready by 11am (now). 11:20, having heard nothing, I called to follow up... no answer, so I left them a message. 11:35 I called them again (keep in mind I was originally leaving town at noon... and I still needed to load the truck for 5 days away). They'd taken it for a test drive and it'd be back by the time I got there. Finally.

When I got there, it was ready. So, good news, alignments are on special it's just $70 for the alignment... and $37 for the bushing, and an hour labour to install it. $277 Total

Wait a minute, no one said anything about an additional hours labour to install it... and since the ball joints had just been replaced, they were easily popped in and out... I know because I'd just taken them in and out on Sunday. Well... changing bushings is a different job from doing an alignment... and I'd not said anything about bushings (obviously forgetting I'd told them where the spares were). Then they told me I should have told them it would need bushings. Odldly enough I hadn't been able to know that with my level, tape measure, and push pins I'd used to align it well enough to drive it there.

I asked to speak to the manager, and after making my case he knocked it down to $70, plus 1/2 hour, and $37 for the part. The bill came to $191 when the dust settled... which I'm not excited about, but I accepted to get on my way. And it was more in line with what competitors had told me it could cost.

So be careful, watch out for shops that, "charge you an hour if that's book time if it takes 10 minutes or 2 hours"... supposedly... until they add a surcharge because your rig was excessively rusty or some other reason. Secondly, an alignment for $90 doesn't include actually fixing the alignment if it needs more than toe adjustment. Castor/Camber bushings are a whole separate job... in this case $190/side.

Last edited:

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Bought me a trailer hitch... I'll likely need to have a welder work in it a tad so that I don't have to lift the box off to install it. It's a 2.5" receiver hitch with a Class 5 rating... not sure the exact specs, but the Class 5 siting next to it that wasn't as beefy was rated for 18,000 lbs and 2000 lbs tounge weight.

Now as an E350, I'm sure it's limited to 10,000 lbs max and probably 1000 lbs tounge weight... so I think it'll provide hitch to spare... and for scrap metal prices :D

IMG_6692.JPGIMG_6693.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles