Adventure Tool Company's (ATC) 4wd Provan Tiger adventures

trailscape

Explorer
I've found that Reflectix isn't a good insulator when used in this manner. It was designed to be used under roofs with an air gap between it and the shingles to trap and reflect solar heat. The 1" RMAX foam with the foil lining on both sides seems to work much better and isn't too messy to work with.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
2017 Expo Overland Event road test. 1400 miles. Eisenhower tunnel (both ways), Colorado, Moab, Mounument Valley, Flagstaff AZ., Blown power steering hose, 12 MPG towing our gear.....Awesome Tiger! Next upgrades planned and taking the ATC Road Show East for the 2017 EO East later this year! Check us out.IMG_1925.JPGIMG_1926.JPGIMG_1927.JPGIMG_1928.JPG

Last edited:

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Ok, great trip but, crappy $1000 Norcold fridge.
During my restoration and instead of a 3-way fridge I got a new Norcold DE0041 R AC/DC fridge. Same fridge that is used in the new Tigers and marine application so I thought it'd be tough enough for ours. Well, it last one day and now won't cool. Looking for any suggestions. Thanks.

spnce

I'm doing a restore on a tiger too! This is what I came up with for the fridge, which is a refurbished edgestar:

IMG_1460.jpg

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
I'm doing a restore on a tiger too! This is what I came up with for the fridge, which is a refurbished edgestar:

View attachment 401331

Looks great. Love to see some additional photos. I looked at putting our Engle fridge in but in the end went with standup type of fridge....my have been an expensive mistake...we'll see.

oldnslow

Observer
Ok, great trip but, crappy $1000 Norcold fridge.
During my restoration and instead of a 3-way fridge I got a new Norcold DE0041 R AC/DC fridge. Same fridge that is used in the new Tigers and marine application so I thought it'd be tough enough for ours. Well, it last one day and now won't cool. Looking for any suggestions. Thanks.

I once killed a Dometic version of the Engel cooler by running it off the dash lighter socket on a Chevy. It seems they don't like small wires. I think they take their current in gulps, like an inverter does. If you want it to live a long life you need to send power to it on short fat wires. The NovaKool I have in my camper (probably the same cooling unit as your Norcold, the Danfoss compressor) is fed with 8AWG wire running about 5 feet from the battery. That is working well. I also have an Engel cooler running on about 6 feet of 10AWG wire, and it is also working well. The Engel is around 13-15 years old now, the NovaKool is on its 4th year.

The factory 12V wiring for your original fridge was probably much smaller and will need to be replaced. The good news is when they work, they work very well. The bad news is when they break, its expensive. My old Dometic still works on 120VAC so it became a garage fridge, and I bought the Engel fridge for portable use. Repairing the Dometic would have been almost as much as the new Engel.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
I consider 12ga to be minimum for today's wiz-bang fridges.

They are very dependent upon voltage.

I also like to wire them directly to the battery, as opposed to a fuse panel.

Some fridges actually recommend this.

And remember, for a given wattage, as voltage drops, the amperage draw goes up.

So under sizing the wire for the load and length of wire may result in a larger amperage draw.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
I consider 12ga to be minimum for today's wiz-bang fridges.

They are very dependent upon voltage.

I also like to wire them directly to the battery, as opposed to a fuse panel.

Some fridges actually recommend this.

And remember, for a given wattage, as voltage drops, the amperage draw goes up.

So under sizing the wire for the load and length of wire may result in a larger amperage draw.

Thanks! Once the snow melts I was planning on checking the converter output. Keep my fingers crossed.

spnce

Looks great. Love to see some additional photos. I looked at putting our Engle fridge in but in the end went with standup type of fridge....my have been an expensive mistake...we'll see.

I had to punch the counter out a bit to make the fridge fit, 2-3" iirc. I also added 1.5" rigid foam on all sides and rewired the power to the fridge so that the plug doesn't come out the front port.

IMG_2333.jpg
IMG_2334.jpg
IMG_2336.jpg

Photomike

White Turtle Adventures & Photography
I had to punch the counter out a bit to make the fridge fit, 2-3" iirc. I also added 1.5" rigid foam on all sides and rewired the power to the fridge so that the plug doesn't come out the front port.

View attachment 402921
View attachment 402922
View attachment 402923

Did you check the clearance for the fridge and the air flow requirements? Yours looks a little tight in there and if you have it lined with foam you may find it overheating.

spnce

Did you check the clearance for the fridge and the air flow requirements? Yours looks a little tight in there and if you have it lined with foam you may find it overheating.

Hmm I had only eyeballed the space around the vents; the manual says 2" to the side vents and 4" to the back one. It's been working fine for a year+ but I guess I should brainstorm some ventilation improvements.. Good looking out!

Back to BritKLR's rig...

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Well, pulled the fridge and plugged it directly into household electric and nothing. The light comes on but it doesn't cool. Heck, even looked inside the ecu box and the fuse is good inside. No leaks that I can find. No clue why this thing won't cool....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94