Donor roof rack channels

I want install a roof rack on my 01 ARE dealer topper. I've been told it's best to go to a junkyard and get some channels off something like a Cherokee or something.

Can any you provide any advice if you have done this yourselves? It might also be used for a RTT, if that matters.

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
You'll want to look for something flat- Ford escape comes to mind. Then you slide in the special fit square nuts and screw down the rack.
Don't worry too much about the load ratings as to your RTT plans- The ratings are a dynamic number for driving/bouncing down the road, and and are more concerned with vehicle stability than structural failure of parts. That said, always learn how new roof loads affect handling CAREFULLY.
So its for Gen1 double cab- that means the roof of the cap is about 5 ft long. Since the bars won't be all the way at the edges, max bar spread will be 48-52in. Do you really foresee needing to move them around? If the topper has windows (as most do), adding a cross bar in the middle wont help load carrying much- you're just passing that stress to the front and back anyhow.
I used a single pair of Yakima control towers on my Tundra and direct bolted the landing pads through the shell. They come off in seconds and go back up just as fast- super sturdy, too.

screwball48

Explorer
The racks off of the 1990's jeep cherokee and grand cherokee are flat and pretty easy to work with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jb1rd

Explorer
Do an ebay search for Thule or Yakima rail or track systems, I bought a lot of 6 for just a bit more than what I would have paid for a single pair then sold the rest to other forum members and on CL. (I was also able to get the longer ones which are hard to come by, in my experience anyway)

robert

Expedition Leader
The Yakima or Thule is easier and maybe better in the long run since you can get the size you want and tons of accessories; I like the longer bars for example. You can find them second hand as noted. Measure twice before drilling then used the recommended amount of silicon or marine sealant, globbing it in is actually counterproductive. Knock on wood but mine's been on now for going on nine years and still no leaks and I've loaded it with boats, bikes, lumber, a table, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier