Lhanson 1st Gen Tundra Build

lhanson

Adventurer
Lets talk preload/lift...... So like a dummy I forgot to measure where my fender was at with my icons installed. The kings did not come adjusted. One side is droopy cause both have same preload. I am trying to get best height to performance. What are you folks set at? Icon had a good system that told you how much thread showing indicates how much lift you would be sitting at.

Measurement from ground to fender would be appreciated if you are running metric 33" tires....

lhanson

Adventurer
Got a pretty good deal on a tundra canopy. Needs some TLC. The framed side windows are leaking so need to address those. Anyone got pointers on how to do that???

Going to paint it black. Plan is to build a basic sleeping platform and give it a trail run this winter. If I dig it Ill be selling my roof top tent and custom telescoping rack and ordering a ARE MTX.

IMG_9182

IMG_9181

IMG_9184

IMG_9185

IMG_9194 2

seanpistol

Explorer
You could color match it for probably $50 in rattlecans from automotivetouchup.com. The local camper shell shop usually has kits to fix screens.

Determining preload is a game of guessing, alignments, and adjustments. Do you have a 13" spring? If you do and you want lift, find out what max preload is before coil bind from the spring manufacturer and go just under it. With the 13" spring you won't get much lift until you're close to max preload. With a longer spring, you can get more lift with less preload provided the spring will fit on the coilover. Then it's back to guessing aligning and checking. Also, a 700 lb/in spring rate is ideal for that bumper with a winch.

Both myself and Rickashay have made posts on this forum about how much preload we were running with different setups.

Last edited:

lhanson

Adventurer
You could color match it for probably $50 in rattlecans from automotivetouchup.com. The local camper shell shop usually has kits to fix screens.

Determining preload is a game of guessing, alignments, and adjustments. Do you have a 13" spring? If you do and you want lift, find out what max preload is before coil bind from the spring manufacturer and go just under it. With the 13" spring you won't get much lift until you're close to max preload. With a longer spring, you can get more lift with less preload provided the spring will fit on the coilover. Then it's back to guessing aligning and checking. Also, a 700 lb/in spring rate is ideal for that bumper with a winch.

Both myself and Rickashay have made posts on this forum about how much preload we were running with different setups.

The camper shop gave me some foam tape to put around frame and re bolt together. Ill give it a go.

I have a 14in/700 lbs spring. Right now I have 1 inch of preload between cap and collar and looks like about 1.25in to 1.5in shaft showing.

threads showing 1in. Middle wheel cap to bottom of fender is approximately 22in. Would like a hair more lift but don't want ride quality to drastically diminish.

I have both sides adjusted to 22.25in from center cap to bottom fender. Ill give this a go for couple weeks and see if its enough lift.

Last edited:

lhanson

Adventurer
So replaced following this week:

Outer tie rods (OEM)
Inner Tie Rod (Moog Problem Solver)
Inner Boots (Moog)

Well my steering rack has the dreaded leak....

Looking into replacement options.

CJV OEM remanufactured (limited lifetime warranty) - $390 + shipping

Napa remanufactured (limited lifetime warranty) - $390 local pick up in stock

Other recommendations???

greygoosefj

They are first ever pair from CBI. I got second revision in little bit ago that I need to mount still. The first run had to much up sweep and weren't level.

So are these the ones for the 1st gen Tacoma that work for our Tundras, or are they now making ones for 1st gen tundras?

skywhitney

Squirrel
So replaced following this week:

Outer tie rods (OEM)
Inner Tie Rod (Moog Problem Solver)
Inner Boots (Moog)

Well my steering rack has the dreaded leak....

Looking into replacement options.

CJV OEM remanufactured (limited lifetime warranty) - $390 + shipping

Napa remanufactured (limited lifetime warranty) - $390 local pick up in stock

Other recommendations???

I just got a new rack for my 03. I haven't installed it yet but I've heard good things about the AAE racks. They are a little pricey.

AAE 3179N New Power Steering Rack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LX7WXQQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_dZRl3ZPAp2yuX

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

lhanson

Adventurer
So are these the ones for the 1st gen Tacoma that work for our Tundras, or are they now making ones for 1st gen tundras?
First gen tacoma ones require fabbing to work.

Like I said above first ever pair built for 2000-2006 tundra. Fit was not great. I just got second revision. Will be mounting them next week to confirm fitment. Yes these are for 1st gen tundra.

lhanson

Adventurer
I just got a new rack for my 03. I haven't installed it yet but I've heard good things about the AAE racks. They are a little pricey.

AAE 3179N New Power Steering Rack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LX7WXQQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_dZRl3ZPAp2yuX

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk
That looks interesting. I like the extra filter and magnet. Not sure it's worth the extra coin. I am hoping to find a good solution locally too if warranty or failure becomes a need I can get pieces quicker.

seanpistol

Explorer
I did it by myself and felt like I needed extra hands the majority if the time. Make sure you strap your steering wheel down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles