Lhanson 1st Gen Tundra Build

lhanson

Adventurer
So my lower control arm cam bolts are siezed. Project is at a stand still till I get those out. Any tips to breaking them free?

seanpistol

Explorer
After trying an angle grinder and several inferior Sawzall blades, and debating torching them out, what finally cut through them like butter was a Diablo Carbide Tip Sawzall blade from Home Depot.

Replace with SPC alignment cams.

seanpistol

Explorer
Diablo-metal-blade.png

lhanson

Adventurer
After trying an angle grinder and several inferior Sawzall blades, and debating torching them out, what finally cut through them like butter was a Diablo Carbide Tip Sawzall blade from Home Depot.

Replace with SPC alignment cams.

Thanks for tip! I found this stuff called freeze off from CRC. That stuff worked well! One side is in!

lhanson

Adventurer
Update:

The custom King in front ride amazing! Just need to crank the coils up a little more for some more lift. Need to set up the remote resi mounts. Moog ball joints I installed a year ago are starting to blow out. Gonna switch to OEM outer tie rods and lower ball joints. Excited to see the rear come to life soon. An unfortunate mishap happened to my buddy that was gonna help with the rear fabrication so rear is post poned. That project will happen this weekend or mid next month.

I ran moog inner/oute TRE and LBJ, they were toast in less than 10k miles. Plus the bolt they gave me for the outer tre stripped. Back to OEM, have been happy.

lhanson

Adventurer
I ran moog inner/oute TRE and LBJ, they were toast in less than 10k miles. Plus the bolt they gave me for the outer tre stripped. Back to OEM, have been happy.

I am hoping for similar results. When did you change the inners? I just gave min a wiggle and seem to not have no play.

Replaced the original inners at 110k, steering rack at 120k, did new inners then. They were definitely loose, no question they needed replacing (both times). I'm sure this is redundant but don't forget locktite on those 4 LBJ bolts. Too many horror stories of having them working their way loose, shearing off and leaving you stranded.

lhanson

Adventurer
Replaced the original inners at 110k, steering rack at 120k, did new inners then. They were definitely loose, no question they needed replacing (both times). I'm sure this is redundant but don't forget locktite on those 4 LBJ bolts. Too many horror stories of having them working their way loose, shearing off and leaving you stranded.

Was there a clear indication the inners where bad? What went out on steering rack?

I had the bolts snap on me in past and it hurt. I replace the lbj bolts yearly with flanged grade 10.9 bolts and red locktite.

Wiggling the tire at 9 and 3. Have a friend do it and feel the inner the attachment where the boot is. The shaft was moving and out of the socket where it attached to the domed ball portion.

Rack, not sure what specifically went out but when I would turn it would click/skip, assuming it was one of the teeth had stripped out. Went with reman oem rack although others have used a stronger one can't remember who makes it (I think Addison put one on Doug). Would have done the stronger but it was after the fact when I realized. Others have done heim conversions not sure if that's an option for you.

Honestly I would replace it all, start fresh and have trail spares.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles