Propane tank size?

BLU60

Good Day All:

I'm converting from a dual fuel Coleman stove to a Partner Steel propane stove and I'm now working on what propane tank size to get. What size do you propane users like and why? Am thinking about enough capacity for a family of 4 for a week in moderate temperatures.

On 'paper' I like these Worthington 6-Pound Aluminum Propane Cylinder, but it seems like steel 10 lbs are very common. So my main question is 6 lbs enough with perhaps a 16 oz disposable for emergencies (I have the adapter coming)?

Any and all thoughts greatly appreciated as we are dry camping in Big Bend in 2 weeks. The AT Chaser is quickly filling up with a new Kanz kichen - with the new propane stove.

Many thanks,
BLU60

Grabow

Adventurer
You should be fine with the 6 lb. Our 10 lb paired with our Partner Steel lasted six months on the road without a refill. We cooked at least once everyday, and made coffee everyday. We spent a few months traveling Canada and the States and decided to fill the propane before crossing over into Mexico because I had assumed that it should be close to empty. It wasn't even close to halfway empty. Then we spent about 6 months on that tank, and it's still not empty.

I originally had a 5 lb tank, and swapped it out because I was afraid that it wouldn't last long between fills. In retrospect, the 5 lb would have probably lasted us 3 months per fill.

thegoldrun

I also bought a 22" Partner last summer and picked up a 5lb Manchester steel tank at my local Ace Hardware for $40. And I picked up a 1lb tank adapter and two tanks for backup. I used the 5lb all summer, ~30days total of cooking one to two meals a day for two people. I just filled it again today in preparation for this summer and it still had some gas left.

I like the 5lb a lot but Ive got my eye on the Worthington 10lb aluminum tank. It's got the same tare weight but holds twice as much, and its aluminum! I bought a composite tank before the 5lb steel tank and I tried to get it filled at three different places and then gave up. My local propane refillers refused to fill any non-metal tank, ymmv but that's a hassle I wasnt willing to deal with especially on the road..

Here's my Tundra build over at the tundratalk forum.

685985d1471557856-thodhyes-mountain-build-img_7574.jpg

Robert Bills

Explorer
Another option is the Worthington 11# steel propane tank, available from Home Depot for $56.97 - 9.1" dia., 16.8" tall. [The Worthington 4.5# tank is $46.89 and measures 9.1" dia., 11.8 tall.]

fe55f4ba-f286-4fb9-9427-00e6e6df5b53_145.jpg

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Worthington-Pro-Grade-11-lb-Empty-Propane-Tank-281165/202034839

Here is the Worthington 11# tank test fitted into the back of my Xterra. It is a near perfect fit and does not require a mounting bracket:

IMG_0527.JPG

Something you may want to consider is the configuration of the bottom of the tank. The Worthington 4.5# tank has a flat bottom, which helps prevent tipping when on the ground at the campsite. My local propane supply house told me that they sell more 4.5" tanks to campers and hunters than any other tank for this reason.

The 4.5# tank:

d71fcd02-26e1-4e13-957a-f2e31f966d0c_145.jpg

Rezarf <><

Explorer
If you're only cooking either of the tanks you're considering will serve you well. I prefer the 11# tanks as they are easy to mount, have a small footprint and they last all summer. I run a heater, stove and gas lantern (sometimes 2) off my tank so I use it up more than the other guys here but I like the extra capacity. If you have the room I'd go with the larger tank due to the fact that I head outdoors to relax, have fun, enjoy the family... I want to eliminate all hassles and worries that I reasonably can. When my wife and or kids get cold, I can crank the heater. When they want hot coffee or cocoa I crank the stove... No rationing means more fun, less stress.

Enjoy your new stove, its one of my all time favorite pieces of kit.

plh

Explorer
I have an 11 lb tank, they last a very long time. I can get a whole season of camping (cooking and heat) out of one tank fill. Maybe I don't camp enough :-(

chasespeed

Explorer
I use an aluminum forklift tank. 33#
Can be hard mounted on its side, or vertical.
Most have a gauge, that works both horizontal or vertical.
I removed the liquid withdrawal valve, and added a POL.

Way too big for the most part, but, running a stove, lantern, etc off a tree, works for me.

If it's a short overnight, fishing etc, a couple 1# cylinders does the job.

Chase

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles