Off-road teardrop build from Canada

tgreening

Expedition Leader
I wouldn't sweat the shackles. I've built plenty of leaf sprung Jeeps and have never felt the need to do a shackle reversal on any of them. There are advocates for both systems, with each side convinced their logic is right. My take was I never noticed anything broke and saw no need to "fix" it. Plenty of folks run 'em just like the factory built them in that respect.

The build was looking great. You still there? :)

jaydon44

Observer
Update

Hey Guys Sorry for absence but I'm finally getting moving again with summer around the corner I've been motivated and posting on here and hearing advice and encouragement are even more motivating so here is some progress!

IMG_2799.jpg
cutting and fitting doors/windows

IMG_2801.jpg

IMG_2816.jpg
Full wood frame start

IMG_2901.jpg

IMG_2893.jpg

IMG_2904.jpg

IMG_2910.jpg
fitting rear hatch

IMG_2849.jpg
fitting fantastic fan

IMG_2919.jpg

IMG_2918.jpg

Im now working on interior and cabinets...I'm better with woodwork then i am with metal so it has been slightly therapeutic

More to come!

jaydon44

Observer
IMG_2964.jpg
how it looked after the interior was boxed and some 2 inch rigid insulation was installed

IMG_2965.jpg

IMG_3181.jpg

Finally got around to building the fender frames, i left them until now because i didn't know how high the trailer would ride on the suspension so i wanted to see how far the trailer would sag under the weight before i welded them on...turned out to be a pain in the ***, would have made an educated guess and put them on in the beginning if i had to it again
IMG_3301.jpg

so this is how the trailer looks now
IMG_3328.jpg

and here's what i have so far on interior cabinets, once i get these done and painted/stained i can start with rough wiring
IMG_3329.jpg
IMG_3337.jpg
IMG_3338.jpg

ok so now this thread is current again, i will come back with more updates and pictures once the cabinets are done and stained

jaydon44

Observer
Got some electrical components in the mail today
b963465414c262db822f5a284da53040.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jwiereng

Do you have a CDN source for the radius door and rear hatch? Current exchange rates are not favourable for importing doors from over the river

jaydon44

Observer
Naw I got those door/windows from teardroptrailerparts.com, I got them about a year ago now the dollar wasn't so bad then

lacofdfireman

Adventurer
What is the dimensions of your trailer? I really like the looks of it. Is this a build off some plans or are you doing it all by yourself? Looking at building a teardrop style. Love the look of the Sawtooth but at 6'5 and 260 it may be a little small for me.

lacofdfireman

Adventurer
My owner about going to long though is losing the off road abilities of the trailer. I'm going back and forth between a teardrop and an expo style with slide out kitchen and RTT. But I think I can almost build my entire trailer for just the cost of an RTT. Those RTT's are stupid expensive.

jaydon44

Observer
The footprint is 5x7 and the profile is 4x8, and ya I came up with this myself
ya I hear ya those tents are expensive

lacofdfireman

Adventurer
Thinking of something along the lines of yours only bigger. This is not to scale but something like this.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458089990.530211.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles