Boden Build - 2015 Tacoma DCLB 4wd

tacozord

Adventurer
Mike, Do you keep the Powertank on board full time? If so, where and how did you mount the tank?

I haven't gotten around to mounting it yet. So I typically don't store it in the vehicle all the time. When I go out and hit the dirt, however, I just put it on the floor behind me.

And to be honest, the truck is still new to me. I've only had it just under three months. I may fabricate some sort of mounting system back in the bed. But my long term plan is to put some sort of shell on the truck and permanently store the Power Tank mounted back there. In due time...:coffee:

tacozord

Adventurer
Have you had enough time on the ICONs to give feedback?

Not sure if I've had enough time to fully get the feel for the Icon's. However, the few time's I've been out they're great. I was able to go out with the 650lb springs and now the 700lb springs. It's definitely stiffer up front, but it rides just fine. Since this is my daily driver, I'm setting the shocks to 'S' for street driving and then increasing the dampening to '4' when I'm off road. So far so good and very pleased.

Last edited:

tacozord

Adventurer
I'm starting to upgrade my electrical now. So after a lot of research, I made the first initial purchase today and bought parts to replace the alternator with a 250A alt and do the "Big 3" upgrade. Once this is done, the next step will be to get a fuse/relay box setup that will allow me to easily add accessories such as lights, compressor and amps. Long-term plans include a 2nd battery, but that won't happen until I get a shell installed. I mention it only because I'm already thinking and planning about it now.

Anyway, parts should arrive by end of week and I'll get to it. Hopefully installed by end of next.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
In regards to your F-150. What was the change like? I have a 98 F-150 and the reason I ask is because I have been very interested in either a Taco or a 4Runner as my next vehicle. I have been contemplating the long bed but can't decide. How different is the turning radius, sight, etc. Anything you wish was different? Whats your overall thought on the switch?

I dig your build. Keep it up!

tacozord

Adventurer
In regards to your F-150. What was the change like? I have a 98 F-150 and the reason I ask is because I have been very interested in either a Taco or a 4Runner as my next vehicle. I have been contemplating the long bed but can't decide. How different is the turning radius, sight, etc. Anything you wish was different? Whats your overall thought on the switch?

I dig your build. Keep it up!

Thanks, man. I'm charging ahead. So...going from my F150 to a Tacoma...

I originally bought my F150 coming from a 1992 Toyota 2wd regular cab pickup. The reason I went full-size at the time was due to back problems. I was trying to avoid surgery and was willing to try anything. So I thought that perhaps more cab room and going from a manual to automatic transmission would help. Well, I ended up having surgery, so that vehicle change didn't really help.

Here's what I like about the F150 (which I still have btw)...it's comfortable and a V8!!!!! What I don't like...it's big, 2wd, crappy suspension, and I hated the access cab. The suicide doors sucked and the space in back was too small. But with that said, I didn't do anything to it except upgrade the tires to BFG AT and add a lumber rack. This was a work truck and I beat the hell out of it. I have taken it all over the Sierras and on many back roads, but I always stayed shy of anything serious so as not to get myself in trouble. And with that said comes the decision to get the Tacoma. I always wanted a 4wd on these excursions and always wanted to have a vehicle better suited for overland expeditions. Hell I was practically doing it in my F150 anyways but without the creature comforts. After a couple of years bitching about the lack of 4wd, I finally bought the Tacoma.

As for my switch to the Tacoma, I specifically wanted a mid-size truck to go to something smaller. The V6 is certainly less power than the V8, but it's acceptable. Other than that, I love everything about it. However, if there's one thing that I may be regretting is the choice of a long bed in combination with the double cab. I really like the double cab, and I have many plans to outfit the back for ample storage. But this along with the long bed makes it a slightly longer wheel base than my F150. I think it's two inches longer. So I have noticed that maneuvering it is different than the F150.

But this decision has been made, and I've already started to do upgrades. I just have to 'own' the decision and roll with it, long bed and all. Besides, this isn't going to be a serious rock crawler. It's an expedition vehicle. So I'm thinking along those lines during this build. It needs to be tough, reliable, and outfitted. I've seen many other people around here with DCLB trucks, so I think I'll be fine.

tacozord

Adventurer
Picked up my sliders from Demello Offroad on 4/2/15

2015-04-02_Tacoma_Sliders_Z2A1093_web800.jpg

Adventurous

Explorer
Nice! The truck is coming along nicely. I hear you about the DCLB being a large truck. I do miss the noticeably increased manueverability of the DBSB but appreciate the additional capacity and usefulness of the 6' bed. I guess you win some and you lose some.

tacozord

Adventurer
Nice! The truck is coming along nicely. I hear you about the DCLB being a large truck. I do miss the noticeably increased manueverability of the DBSB but appreciate the additional capacity and usefulness of the 6' bed. I guess you win some and you lose some.

Thanks! I'm a man with a plan. :coffee: There's lots more to come......

Greenbean

B.S. Goodwrench
Wow...

Two things I love the most...

Your running the stock steelies and you have 255/85 meats on em!

:safari-rig:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier