MOPWR Build

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Electrolysis is an electrochemical process that breaks down the aluminum structure.
The strap from the radiator to chassis provides a dedicated path to eliminate current flow through the coolant, as it breaks down and gets contaminated. If you do a good job of maintaining the cooling system, it's not such a big deal.
It can also cause issues, if the vehicle is not properly grounded. So it's a double edge sword. Most newer vehicles are well grounded due to the ECUs, so unless someone gets crazy with a bunch of poorly installed options, grounding is usually not an issue.

Here is a short read from Griffin Radiator.
http://www.griffinrad.com//electrolysis.php
Here is another good read:
http://www.aa1car.com/library/cooling_system_electrolysis_corrosion.htm
You can also do a google search for "Electrolysis in aluminum radiator" for more info.
Hope this helps,

Mitch502

Explorer
I'll definitely be running a ground strap! Thanks for the heads up!

I had to send the radiator back today, as it had the wrong transmission line connections. Hopefully the one the send me this time is right! In the mean time, ordering a Flatlands 4x4 bumper tonight/in the morning. For those that aren't familiar with Flatland's 4x4...http://www.flatland4x4.com/index.html#gallery I'm building the ZJ front winch bumper w/ the solid skid. Well, to clarify, I'll be buying the metal, having it cut, and then a friend is welding it.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
My neighbor just built the Flatlands 4x4 WJ front bumper. Came out awesome. So hope yours goes just as well. :beer:
He's going to do their rear bumper as well.

Mitch502

Explorer
My neighbor just built the Flatlands 4x4 WJ front bumper. Came out awesome. So hope yours goes just as well. :beer:
He's going to do their rear bumper as well.

Why didn't you go with the slotted skid?

Hopefully it goes together good. Have a pipefitter who is a friend and is going to weld it up for me. He's more excited than I am, lol.

And I chose solid becuase I like the idea of additional protection, even if it does limit airflow. I am considering pricing a place to cut the M from MOPAR into it.

K2ZJ

Explorer
That would be awesome, and where you get it cut should be able to add that no problem. Should only add a few bucks for the time to add it and the extra cut. I am going to put my initials into mine somewhere now!

Mitch502

Explorer
Yea. Not for sure I'm going to do it. I like the idea of solid protection, and making it harder for mud to get up into the engine bay.

Mitch502

Explorer
Well, just a quick update...

Radiator Express sent me a radiator that looks good (the one in previous pics here), but the fittings weren't right. They sent me another one with what I thought were going to be the right fittings...but instead it's a radiator with removable fittings...so I can put the right ones in. Not the ideal situation, but whatever--I can deal with it.

Then I get the radiator...before I even pull it out of the box I notice its at least 1/2" skinnier, and cheaper looking overall. I didn't even finish taking it out of the box. It is a Silla, which I've heard varying reviews on. I did find a company that sells a 3 row all brass radiator for $207...Going to order it in the AM when they open and tell Radiator Express that due to their poor customer service (emailed 4 times, and asked all 4 times for them to CALL me. They never called and sent emails only.) Then I asked for cubic inch of the radiator and the specs on it, no answer. Fed up with it. 1-800-Radiator said they should be able to have it by middle of the week.

On a positive note, my Flatland 4x4 winch bumper is done being cut, and sitting in the garage. It may be welded up as soon as Tuesday.

When a vital part doesn't bring me to a screeching halt, I might be able to get something done.

Little Foot

Crawler/Overlander
At my work we sometimes deal with 1-800-radiator and have never had a problem. We only need OEM replacements though so I don't know about quality (I work on honda/acura/subarus so it's usually commuters who don't really care) but we use them in a pinch because they are always fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mitch502

Explorer
My main complaint is no where on their (RadiatorExpress.com) website does it state that the radiator fittings are going to need to be adapted. Very frustrating.

I'll be sure to post up about 1-800-Radiator when I get it.

Mitch502

Explorer
Well, after speaking with Radiator Express they're ensuring me that it will be plenty good. Coupled with some research I'm going to go for it. I will be installing tomorrow.

Mitch502

Explorer
Put the new radiator in, all new hoses, mounted the power steering cooler, and all the new stuff on...waterpump, power steering pump, all new coolant lines, thermostat, etc...

New hoses:

So, as you can see in the picture above, there is some wiring that isn't factory. My plan was to clean up the coolant hose "T" and paint it. When I tried to take the sensor out, this happen:

The sensor just literally fell apart. Of course, it's a part specific to the 5.9, and it's only available at the dealer for about $90. So, Google, JeepForum, and SpeedFreaks brought me to this solution:

It's a coolant fan switch for something GM. Spliced into the factory wire and grounded to itself. $16 for the sensor and $9 for the pigtail and I'm back in business. Still need to solder the wires, but wanted to confirm that it worked before finishing it up.

While driving down the highway, the temperature never went over 172*. White sitting still it reaches around 188* or so. I have to say I'm impressed with the new radiator. Everything is on, I don't see any leaks (although the thermostat did leak the first time I started it. Had to pull the housing back off, luckily I had another gasket)

Power steering cooler mounted

I also cleaned up my battery finally, lol. Still have to put the new lugs on the end, but it looks a million times better

Excuse my wiring for the CB, just a temporary setup

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94