Old's Cool

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
Thanks Crenshaw! You kind of have the best of both worlds: 3rd-gen Truck styling and toughness with the more modern engine.

I'd probably have a lot of fun with a 1st-gen 4wd Truck, but the earth seems to be reclaiming them...time can be so cruel!

NMC_EXP...*drool* I can't get enough of the stock ones.

I love the look of the 3rd-gen Trucks. I'm too nervous to start out with something else, I think I'll stick with what I know, but they sure are easy on the eye. My mind sometimes wonders back to the completely stock, dark-blue '93 Xtracab someone I knew was selling. It was a bit too expensive at the time, and I was pretty hooked on the 4runners, but I wonder what it would have been like.

Thanks for the progression pics, DaveinDenver. I hadn't seen how it evolved. Too bad it's time to let it go. I worry about that with this one (almost thought it was over with the last electrical gremelins, but they worked themselves out).

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Thanks for the progression pics, DaveinDenver. I hadn't seen how it evolved. Too bad it's time to let it go. I worry about that with this one (almost thought it was over with the last electrical gremelins, but they worked themselves out).
You know, it's depressing to me to have made the decision because it really has taken us a lot of places. We've put 200,000 miles of our own on it, so it's been incredibly good to us. I can't ever hope to spend $5,000 again and get 1/100th the return. I got the truck when there was no Internet to speak of even. I remember circling classified ads and calling a bunch of people with the most common answer being "It's already sold." Even then 5 speed XtraCab 22R-E trucks were tough to find used, just like now. People tended to hold on to them. It's ironic because that first owner sold his truck for a car because of a growing family and that's essentially the same story with our new Access Cab 2008.

The problem is that it served all duties to kid who grew into a working stiff and then into a middle aged man with a OHV hobby. She I think tolerated the rock crawling and lift kits, but all that has taken a toll. If I'd just have kept it simple, WilderNest, better springs, the fridge and just drove it I think it would have gone another few years. But anything you use as intended will wear out, so it was never going to be forever. Imelda isn't an RV or collector's vehicle and the daily grind is tough on them. But I made the mistake of driving a 6 speed 2nd gen Tacoma. Oh momma! What can I say? It's kinda complex, but it's not as bad as they all say. It does still feel like a Toyota truck to us. Just one that has no problem hauling a roof rack load of bikes to Fruita at the speed limit. Or a little more...

NMC_EXP

Explorer
NMC_EXP...*drool* I can't get enough of the stock ones.

Same here but I think different gears would be nice. Getting cramps in my right leg from standing on the throttle climbing steep sections of pavement is getting old.

Speaking of simple, a blue poly tarp "awning" is in my future.

DeskToGlory

Adventurer
This is an AWESOME thread idea!

-
-

I picked up our Red third gen for free because the fenders were see-through, the engine was burning oil and needed EVERY vital sensor, and the interior was made of mould instead of fabric. Built it over 4 months and spent money where it counts since we are living in it as we drive to Argentina. Fully kitted out with a RTT, solar, dual battery system, fridge, rebuilt 22RE etc I have about $8000 into it. We could have saved a couple of grand and just slept in the back, but after at least 150 nights in the comfort of the tent I'd say it was worth it. Not the cheapest thing in the world, but dead-nuts reliable and built to do a specific job without totally destroying the bank account.
-
-

Stuff like the stupid simple plywood sleeping platform/shelf and Rubbermaid containers and the bolted together Unistrut bed rack help to keep costs down. Oh, and instead of some sweet drawer system you can see Ashley's suitcase in the back of the truck in the last photo ;)

-
-

Seriously considering getting a cheap front bumper made or picking up an ARB for protection... but so far so good!
-
-

On a cable crank ferry on the way to Sarteneja, Belize
140302_DeskToGlory_Sarteneja-1.jpg

En route to Semuc Champey, Guatemala with a couple of other overlander types
140322_DeskToGlory_SemucChampey-6.jpg

Nicoya Peninsua, Costa Rica river crossing. Yes, this was the main road. No, they didn't get too much deeper than this.
140510_D2G_CR-37.jpg

Home, sweet home
140510_D2G_CR-3.jpg

Last edited:

Dwill817

Toyota Fanatic!
Hard to post after DesktoGlory.. Those South American trips would be incredible!

I'm gonna throw this one out there & beat y'all as far as age goes!!

096F0E94-7BC2-45C7-AE45-BAF68EF8452D.jpg

1981 Toyota Pickup 4x4
Manual Everything!!! BUT, don't let that fool you, this thing is a luxury vehicle...... It has A/C (still works)

Been pretty reliable for a 34 year old truck that gets daily driven and rode hard. I'm not exactly easy on it and it somehow takes the abuse!

It has a RUF front leaf pack, OME rear leaf pack, & some 32" Kenda Klevers.

Motor has a Weber 32/36 carb & the only vacuum line is the brake booster!

It'll soon have high steer, 35s, and some 5.29 along with lockers. Then it will get a full motor rebuild & then...

I'll be heading WEST for an adventure!

Sempertoy

Explorer
I was 17 when I got a paper route to pay for my first 4x4. It was a 90 pickup, 22re, and a wicked paint job. I knew nothing about lockers, gears, fridges, sliders, dorkels, or any other farkle. I just drove it until it got stuck, and then got out to un stick it. It was a blast. I eventually sold it under less than optimal circumstances, and really miss that ol pickup.

Crenshaw

Adventurer
No kidding! I currently am without a/c after my motor swap, so you're ahead of the game as far as creature comforts go in that '81! I always get nostalgic for my long departed 1st gen.

Nice turnout here, this has potential to be the dive bar of Expedition Portal...

Crenshaw

Adventurer
This forum needs this thread in a bad way. Any offense taken if we stray from yotas? :REOutCampFire03:

Fire it up! Living on the edge (of poverty) is by no means exclusive to Toyotas. I had a Jeep once a long long time ago:

DSC00373_zpsj4byem6e.jpg

And was also known to sleep in a BMW or ten:

DSC00361_zpsyq9zw1s0.jpg

Photo%20Jan%2011%2012%2034%2034_zpsb8frpb97.jpg

Sometimes I forget about the 2nd gen 4runner:

Photo%20Sep%2028%2015%2030%2003_zps63vidmqu.jpg

And our favorite Montero in Costa Rica:

Photo%20Sep%2004%2016%2000%2019_zpsyyyvymwd.jpg

And the junky cheap bikes:

Photo%20Sep%2025%2010%2041%2026_zpsuzt3amns.jpg

Funny, I was just talking to a co worker about people described by the OP. People who are servers or bartenders at night and travelers/adventurers by day. I don't know how you guys do it. I have tried to be this type of person during college and not be so worried about money and my future like I am, but, it doesn't work for me. I feel that at my current age of 25 I should be out more and traveling and exploring but I am at a desk for 9-10 hours a day working my tail off hoping to be rich and retired by the time I am 55.

Anyways, hats off to you guys.

Sweet pics btw

I beg you to reconsider. Money and time correspond with each other in a way that you can only partially control. Time is a giant log on the fire and you will never have the luxury of glancing out at the pile to take stock. What if you're on your second to last twig right now? Do you enjoy your desk time as much as you enjoy your outside time?
Unfortunately the money is basically fake and does nothing to contribute positively to your experience. Having said that, do you think I could borrow a few bucks for a cold one?

Too many great posts in this thread to respond to them all: Dave, love the evolution/devolution/retirement story, DesktoGlory is always awesome, and I never realized just HOW quintessential the white pickup apparently is to dirty bums.

Photo%20Mar%2013%2018%2011%2016_zpsqzbnjzen.jpg

Last edited:

Jb1rd

Explorer
The white pick up is "Contractor Americana" literally the men who build this country with their hands not their pocket books and a pen. (well except maybe to sketch a blue print on a napkin) I have old Toyotas to thank for teaching me just about every valuable lesson in life, how to drive/wheel, like someone else said, "recovery gear, what recovery gear, drive till you get stuck then get out and get unstuck"! Kissing a girl, really kissing a girl, getting slapped by said girl for referring to her girlfriend, falling so madly in love with a truck that it wouldn't let you sleep at night, taking friends to the end of the road,saying goodbye, camping in a parking lot in subzero temps to be first first chair on epic powder days, hunting, patience, sorrow, and most importantly hauling wood.Why hauling wood, because it reminds me of my dad, the lessons of being prepared for a not yet realized winter, for the comfort it would bring and the satisfaction of doing it yourself. Yotas have provided me with miles of smiles! Kayaking, rock climbing, surfing, mountain biking, snowboarding, snowshoeing, just a trip to the store in a blizzard, gooooooood times!!!! Long live the dirt bagger!! :sombrero:

(to the young buck at the desk, please reconsider your choices in life, at 25 you are your prime to make bad decisions and still rebound, we call that building character):coffeedrink:

****EDIT and PS I just realized my new to me "white" truck is high flutin' compared to his predecessors but will cont the Lightfoot tradition just fine. Up next, sub $1000 dollar poptop camper :)

Last edited:

DeskToGlory

Adventurer
Funny, I was just talking to a co worker about people described by the OP. People who are servers or bartenders at night and travelers/adventurers by day. I don't know how you guys do it. I have tried to be this type of person during college and not be so worried about money and my future like I am, but, it doesn't work for me. I feel that at my current age of 25 I should be out more and traveling and exploring but I am at a desk for 9-10 hours a day working my tail off hoping to be rich and retired by the time I am 55.

Sweet pics btw

Sure, everybody has to work the 9-5, but don't forget about the 5-9. We spent the last year in Vancouver, BC working and saving for our next trip (as Mech. Eng. Tech/Photograher and Paralegal/Nutritionist) but that never stopped us from getting out of the city. Weeknights are made for sunset hikes to a small peak and hiking back in the dark with headlamps. Weekends allow you 2-3 nights to get away and into the woods with friends. Take a week off and drive to Baja (and only spend $500 while you're there).

We also know how to dirt bag it and sleep under the canopy...

140619_DeskToGlory_MtBaker-3.jpg

Chahalis-16.jpg

140619_DeskToGlory_MtBaker-2.jpg

Dwill817

Toyota Fanatic!
The white pick up is "Contractor Americana" literally the men who build this country with their hands not their pocket books and a pen. (well except maybe to sketch a blue print on a napkin) I have old Toyotas to thank for teaching me just about every valuable lesson in life, how to drive/wheel, like someone else said, "recovery gear, what recovery gear, drive till you get stuck then get out and get unstuck"! Kissing a girl, really kissing a girl, getting slapped by said girl for referring to her girlfriend, falling so madly in love with a truck that it wouldn't let you sleep at night, taking friends to the end of the road,saying goodbye, camping in a parking lot in subzero temps to be first first chair on epic powder days, hunting, patience, sorrow, and most importantly hauling wood.Why hauling wood, because it reminds me of my dad, the lessons of being prepared for a not yet realized winter, for the comfort it would bring and the satisfaction of doing it yourself. Yotas have provided me with miles of smiles! Kayaking, rock climbing, surfing, mountain biking, snowboarding, snowshoeing, just a trip to the store in a blizzard, gooooooood times!!!! Long live the dirt bagger!! :sombrero:

Beautiful post! I've had many a memories in a Toyota Pick-em-up Truck

My truck is my get away.. I have too many memories in it to sell it off. One of the last times I got to spend some time my best friend, before the good Lord took him home, was riding down the powerlines behind his house.

Dwill817

Toyota Fanatic!

Sweet pics btw

“And then there is the most dangerous risk of all -- the risk of spending your life not doing what you want on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later.” - Randy Komisar

'Nuff said.. almost

Man I'm 19 years old, almost 20.. If anyone should be stressed about the rest of their life; it should be me! I've been busting my butt in college trying to chase some degree that I have no passion for.. Woke up one day & realized that doing what I am passionate about and spending time with my family is more important than how much money I can possibly make..

So.. I gave up my full-paid academic scholarship to a 4-year college.. I'll be starting Paramedic school this summer. I WILL NOT make a lot of money, but I'll be doing what I'm passionate about: helping others. "These things we do, so that others may live."

I also will have the time off the spend with my soon-to-be-wife and the rest of my family.. & hopefully throw in some offroad adventures.

I'm chasing what is important to me & doing my best NOT to get caught up in this hectic race of life that most Americans live.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles