Old's Cool

vicali

Adventurer
Haha, where can I get one of these money canons??
All my paper route money and part time cashier pay went towards my first car. At 16 I bought my 86 extra cab- 22re, 300,000km, and all the dog hair you ever wanted. I drove it for 10 years and loved it.. Sold it to a couple who were headed to Belize..

These days we have a 2005, but with a house and family the money canon isn't pointed at the truck :)
I do what I can, upgrade when part need to be replaced, etc..
It takes us where we need to go, and get us all outside.. Can't ask for much more really.

RiverGypsy

image.jpg

This is Pepe, my beloved '91 4Runner (22RE). I believe the picture was taken on my 21st birthday, camped at my usual spot at Shadow mountain in the Tetons. I bought it eleven years ago when I was in high school. I've lived in it almost every summer since I bought it, and you can see the first of many sleeping platform setups in the picture. I've taken it on dozens of rock climbing road trips all over the West and it has been like a faithful friend.

I love Pepe, but as I'm creeping up on thirty and still a single dirtbag chick who spends most of my time living on the road, I've finally decided to upgrade to my dream truck: a '95 Toyota T100! Rainy days make it tough to enjoy life cramped inside the 4Runner with all my stuff, and without a sleeping platform, I can't fit all my gear. (I also can't sleep in it without the platform because it's too short).

Here it is:

image.jpg

Just look at that huge, cavernous (and ugly, I know) topper! I am in the process of making a sleeping platform and kitchen that I can still sit up comfortably in and enjoy all the creature comforts of people who... well, can sit up in the back of their trucks. It may seem insignificant at first, but anyone who has spent more than three months living in the back of their short-canopy truck or suv knows what I'm talking about.

I'm a mountain guide in the summers, and a ski patroller in the winter. Awesome jobs which usually just barely provide the income needed to live comfortably (in my truck, at least most of the year), and spend my off seasons (2 months on either end) doing what I love. I am not sure what I want to be when I grow up, but I know that I don't want to work a job that I hate to buy things I can't use because I'm too busy working.

Remember: wealth is measured in time, not money.

Last edited:

Derek24

Explorer
View attachment 275661

This is Pepe, my beloved '91 4Runner (22RE). I believe the picture was taken on my 21st birthday, camped at my usual spot at Shadow mountain in the Tetons. I bought it eleven years ago when I was in high school. I've lived in it almost every summer since I bought it, and you can see the first of many sleeping platform setups in the picture. I've taken it on dozens of rock climbing road trips all over the West and it has been like a faithful friend.

I love Pepe, but as I'm creeping up on thirty and still a single dirtbag chick who spends most of my time living on the road, I've finally decided to upgrade to my dream truck: a '95 Toyota T100! Rainy days make it tough to enjoy life cramped inside the 4Runner with all my stuff, and without a sleeping platform, I can't fit all my gear. (I also can't sleep in it without the platform because it's too short).

Here it is:

View attachment 275665

Just look at that huge, cavernous (and ugly, I know) topper! I am in the process of making a sleeping platform and kitchen that I can still sit up comfortably in and enjoy all the creature comforts of people who... well, can sit up in the back of their trucks. It may seem insignificant at first, but anyone who has spent more than three months living in the back of their short-canopy truck or suv knows what I'm talking about.

I'm a mountain guide in the summers, and a ski patroller in the winter. Awesome jobs which usually just barely provide the income needed to live comfortably (in my truck, at least most of the year), and spend my off seasons (2 months on either end) doing what I love. I am not sure what I want to be when I grow up, but I know that I don't want to work a job that I hate to buy things I can't use because I'm too busy working.

Remember: wealth is measured in time, not money.

That's an awesome t100! I was wondering where it went. Saw it here on my local Craigslist and was really thinking about it, told myself if it popped up again I'd go get it! Oh well, at least someone on here got a great truck, looked so clean! I love the camper shell, all the possibilities. Post up some more pics of it, a build thread?

Expedition Leader
My first 4WD truck was a well-used ('73?) Ford F-250. No lift, stock-size tires, and my entire kit consisted of a Hi-lift jack, a shovel, and a single jerry can. Took me all over southern Utah in the late 70's though. Here it is on the Dewey Bridge, and some photos from a trip to The Maze at that time:

Crenshaw

Adventurer
Awesome Ford! I drove my mom's horse truck through part of high school, a '78 f-150 Ranger. It was cool then, when gas was 75 cents a gallon. Now to fill up just one of the tanks breaks the bank.

RIP Dewey bridge! I wish I had photos of it before the fire.

nocensorbo

Observer
I love this ************* thread!!! I went down the "wanting to have a really nice car" route...it got totaled. I was so damn heart broken. But it allowed me to actually free up funds by not having a payment which got me to discover more things. Things about myself, what I want to do, what actually matters, etc...which lead me to pick up me (brand ************* new by this threads standards) 2004 tundra, had 97k on her when I got her. Just finishing up my sleeping platform now. Actually going to be quiting my job and traveling around, volunteering at homeless shelters, animal shelters, food banks and more. Im 23, I want to try and motivate other kids that its not as cool as they may think to have all this fancy ****. Sure, there are some things i loooonggggg for.However, simplicity i key. I've never seen a mountain in real life...swam in the ocean ONCE, there is far to many things I want to see and do. Also like giving back where I can, when I can.

16208295283_22e1f7d3f5_c.jpg

16841968702_527e67f05f_c.jpg

16843497392_3d570fe25c_c.jpg

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Ah dirt baggin, I have friends all over the country that do it but I was fortunate enough to find a job where I get to work outside doing what I love and going on various adventures while getting paid enough......I'm one of the lucky few. Although I've always lived in a house (outside of multi week trips) I sleep on a foam pad with my wonderful and gorgeous fiance, and our furniture consists of two 7 dollar ikea tables we use as night stands (we used boxes for a few months haha) and a roll up table with floor cushions as our dining set. That's it. Our current place is 800sqft and it is way too big. We are currently looking at 400sqft places. Anyways here's some pictures of my 86 4runner I had through college......went a lot of awesome places in that thing, hydrolocked the engine (which led to it blowing up spectacularly while driving 60mph on the highway), I loved it but ultimately I wanted just a little more comfort and less maintenance (see after 4runner).

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
The 4runner was a blast and worked great for awhile but I needed something a little quieter so I began the search for a simple but more modern 4wd. After looking at 3rd gen 4runners I ran across the Montero Sport. After a bunch of research and looking high and low I found exactly what I wanted. A 1 owner with every maintenance record 3.5XS (gave me the nice engine out of the Montero but with a standard 2Hi, 4Hi, 4lo t-case). I swapped on manual hubs and simplified the 4wd system so I now basically have my older 4runner but with double the power, quieter, and similar mileage.
Day I bought it:

Two days later moving to CO from OR

First few trips

More recent

Last edited:

nocensorbo

Observer
I have a sweet spot for monteros...I wanted the more curvy (limited i think?) but shyd away from it since there is nothign wrong with my truck at all and i know everything that has been done to it

Dwill817

Toyota Fanatic!
Our current place is 800sqft and it is way too big. We are currently looking at 400sqft places.

Kinda like the show Tiny House Nation, or whatever it's called.. My soon-to-be fiancé and I have talked about building one of those.. We are generally happy just piled up on the couch together so I don't think the space would be an issue and neither of us have a lot of clutter.. But then Id have to build a shop twice as big because I have so many Toyota parts :)

We're actually leaning-toward/considering building a one room cabin with a loft, wood heat, etc. It would actually be 3 rooms because I'd add a seperate bathroom and closet, but you get the idea.

DeskToGlory

Adventurer
Kinda like the show Tiny House Nation, or whatever it's called.. My soon-to-be fiancé and I have talked about building one of those.. We are generally happy just piled up on the couch together so I don't think the space would be an issue and neither of us have a lot of clutter.. But then Id have to build a shop twice as big because I have so many Toyota parts :)

We're actually leaning-toward/considering building a one room cabin with a loft, wood heat, etc. It would actually be 3 rooms because I'd add a seperate bathroom and closet, but you get the idea.

We made the move from 800sq ft to 400sq ft. The savings over a year is enough to cover 6 months on the road. Plus, since the place is so small it forces us to get out into the mountains every weekend. Bonus!

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader

Ya kind of, a little bigger than that but not too much. Mostly because we cook everything so we need a large kitchen.....and I would like a separate garage that is the same size as the house haha. We very nearly bought an rv to live out of but it wouldn't really save any money until we can buy our own property.

Derek24

Explorer
Nothing beats hearing all the noise coming from your vehicle offroad! You just do not get that with newer trucks. My little tank is just that, a tank!

DSCN2321_zpsyxbxebzp.jpg

DSCN2344_zpstll5n7al.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles