Old's Cool

Crenshaw

Adventurer
I'm really happy with my OME dakars and slightly longer shackles on my '89 pickup. I went medium and it does fine with a load of **** and Wildernest. There are occasions where the heavies would probably be better but for the most part it's good to go.

Clutch

<---Pass
I'm really happy with my OME dakars and slightly longer shackles on my '89 pickup. I went medium and it does fine with a load of **** and Wildernest. There are occasions where the heavies would probably be better but for the most part it's good to go.

I have OME heavies, which were a bit stiff when new...took out the AAL when pulled off my Wilderenst and threw on a Snugtop..it was ok, but a little soft, put the AAL back in and tried taking out one of the over loads...that worked pretty well with the Snugtop, ran that for awhile...put another Wildernest back on...needed the overload put back in. Springs probably have 200K on them now...bit fatigued...but seem about perfect now than when they were new.

jasonbatmon

@r27d

Maybe this can help: I am a field biologist and required carrying 2-400lbs of equipment through rugged areas. I have a fiberglass shell and also sleep in the back (to give you idea of weight).

My solution was:

Front OME Nitrocharger Sport Shocks
Rear OME Nitrocharger Sport Shock
Front Steering Stabilizer
Old Man Emu Torsion Bars
Old Man Emu Dakar Leaf Springs
Tuff Country Wide Square Ubolts
Low Range Off Road Greasable 5" Shackles

This setup has been fool proof and may work for your situation. It isn't the cheapest option, but the beauty of our trucks is that it is still dang affordable. The suspension is a dream off-road where I often drive rutted, washed out, washboard desert road for 40+mi at a time. Not saying that is matched for your situation, but this has been perfect for me. Good luck!

shabba

Observer
Shameless revival: just started becoming active on the site. I have a 1995.5 Pickup 22re, MT, with full LCE headers/cat/exhaust, OME Nitro sport/ dakar, Trailgear stinger, 33in BFG ATs, and a watertight high top shell. Not a speck of rust.

I bought the truck when I was bummin' as an undergraduate biological field technician back in New Mexico. "Esme" gave me the opportunity to travel and make the best memories of my life. Along with my dog and girlfriend, I have seen 40 states and 3 countries with this girl that has 1/4 million miles.

Sad note: Last night after coming out of the White Mountains in NH, she detonated. Likely bent cam or blown rod. Either way- motor is seized so I drank all day and wept. Positive note is that this happened on an interstate and nobody was hurt.

But seriously: **** the "money cannon" approach. I've done more in my sub-$10k rig than most would think possible. Call me a purist...

Edit: I began this lifestyle before I ever heard the word "overlanding" :p

View attachment 420703View attachment 420704View attachment 420705

did you fix her? https://westernmass.craigslist.org/cto/d/1995-toyota-pickup-4x4-t/6346595943.html

Nikkshepherd

Observer
fMCn2FC.jpg

LOTW

truck.jpg
My son just turned 13 so I bought him this '79 first gen. I wonder how long he will keep her? How many memories will he make?

jasonbatmon

QUICK WARNING:

I checked in on this thread. Somebody lifted my pics and copy/pasted my build thread from my website (that I had in my bio here) and posted a CL add- which is now deleted. A member PM'd me saying that person was asking for "deposits" via paypal to view the truck. This was NOT for sale by me. I have deleted the pics, and have delinked my personal website for the time being. Scammers ******* OFF!

Arktikos

Explorer
QUICK WARNING:

I checked in on this thread. Somebody lifted my pics and copy/pasted my build thread from my website (that I had in my bio here) and posted a CL add- which is now deleted. A member PM'd me saying that person was asking for "deposits" via paypal to view the truck. This was NOT for sale by me. I have deleted the pics, and have delinked my personal website for the time being. Scammers ******* OFF!

Sorry for your problems. Must have been an nice truck. Darn, I'd like to see it!:sombrero:

Arktikos

Explorer
Old is very cool. But then again, so are airbags.

Does anyone's family/spouse insist on you driving a vehicle with airbags?

If they insisted I'd insist right back. But fortunately, they don't really care if I die in a mangled mess of metal. For my part, I drive slowly with an ARB bumper up front.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier