2011 Nissan Frontier Pro 4x Build

bijanjames

Adventurer
image.jpgHi everyone, I'm a new guy and am a big fan of this site. My wife and I are in the process of building our dream camper! Being a Toyota fan and owner my entire life, I'd never thought I would find myself in a Nissan. The reasons I decided to go with the Frontier over a Tacoma are obvious to all of you.

Build so far:
- OME HD (all around) Suspension
- Heftyfabworks Sliders
- Shrockworks Engine Skid
- ARB Bumper (back order)
- Heftyfabworks Custom Rear Bumper(building)
- Warn M8000

In a year or so we will be installing a FlipPac and doing the necessary utilities in the bed. This is a very exciting
project for us and really look forward sharing it all with all of you!

Last edited:

E.J.

Explorer
eulyjl.jpg

Welcome to ExPo. I grabbed this pic from the other site, great looking truck man.
How do you like the US Rack over your softopper? I'd like to get something like that over mine soonish, kind of wish they didn't sit so high above the softopper.

bijanjames

Adventurer
Thanks! The paint quality on the rack is not great, and I agree it sits too high. I use it to carry bikes on the side mounts, which I think is a great design.

E.J.

Explorer
I assume they are so high so you can still fold up the topper. I was thinking about one so I can borrow the RTT off my trailer occasionally. The side mount bike tray looks like a good deal too, kind of a PIA to carry bikes in the bed with the topper on.

bijanjames

Adventurer
I assume they are so high so you can still fold up the topper. I was thinking about one so I can borrow the RTT off my trailer occasionally. The side mount bike tray looks like a good deal too, kind of a PIA to carry bikes in the bed with the topper on.

Believe it or not, you CAN'T fold the topper down with the rack on!

Allof75

Pathfinder
Welcome to ExPo, as well as the Nissan family! Sounds like you have all the right ideas for your truck, looking forward to seeing how it progresses.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Welcome and glad to see another Frontier! I always liked the Softopper, but I can't wait to see a Flippac on that thing. That's gonna be killer!

Seriously, really nice truck. Excited to see where you take it.

bijanjames

Adventurer
Thanks for the compliments. I'm so pumped to get the bumpers on, the ride is crazy firm with no weight. I have an appointment with Chris at Heftyfabworks on April 13th for the mock up on the rear bumper, he'll need the truck for a couple of days and then have it ready to install by late April. The ARB should arrive at Nisstec in a couple of weeks.

I'm going to finish the skid plates with Heftyfabworks and then it's tire shopping time! Right now I'm set on the Cooper ST Maxx in a 265/75R16. Everyone feel free to give your tire advice I know you all have your opinions. I've calculated the total weight of the build without passengers (2 adults, 3 year old, and a Lab) at around 1/2 a ton, well exceeding GVWR once people and gear are included. I've gone the larger tire route every time I've modified a truck and feel that for the goals of this specific build the disadvantages outweigh the advantage of larger tires. Especially since I'm leaving gearing stock. I just love the power the stock drivetrain has especially with the 6 speed. And coming from an 80 series Land Cruiser on 35s and two 4 banger Tacoma's on 33s, the power is much appreciated.

We are moving from Denver to Bozeman in a couple of years and plan on taking a 6 month road trip from Bozeman to Prudoe Bay, AK and then work our way South to the tip of Baja! I'm looking forward to sharing all of adventures with Expedition Portal!

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Thanks for the compliments. I'm so pumped to get the bumpers on, the ride is crazy firm with no weight. I have an appointment with Chris at Heftyfabworks on April 13th for the mock up on the rear bumper, he'll need the truck for a couple of days and then have it ready to install by late April. The ARB should arrive at Nisstec in a couple of weeks.

I'm going to finish the skid plates with Heftyfabworks and then it's tire shopping time! Right now I'm set on the Cooper ST Maxx in a 265/75R16. Everyone feel free to give your tire advice I know you all have your opinions. I've calculated the total weight of the build without passengers (2 adults, 3 year old, and a Lab) at around 1/2 a ton, well exceeding GVWR once people and gear are included. I've gone the larger tire route every time I've modified a truck and feel that for the goals of this specific build the disadvantages outweigh the advantage of larger tires. Especially since I'm leaving gearing stock. I just love the power the stock drivetrain has especially with the 6 speed. And coming from an 80 series Land Cruiser on 35s and two 4 banger Tacoma's on 33s, the power is much appreciated.

We are moving from Denver to Bozeman in a couple of years and plan on taking a 6 month road trip from Bozeman to Prudoe Bay, AK and then work our way South to the tip of Baja! I'm looking forward to sharing all of adventures with Expedition Portal!

Sounds like an awesome build plan! Hefty makes some good stuff, and you can't go wrong with ARB. Looking forward to seeing it all evolve.

The ST Maxx is a great tire, and I think on this truck it is the perfect option in 265/75. That's what my tire plan is actually. You can go to 285s without hurting anything, but it's more weight and more money. Your gas mileage will suffer and your speedo will be off. These trucks look expo sexy on about 2-2.5" of lift, aggressive 265s, and some armor. That size tire also leaves the power alone, mostly. For an exploring/camping truck, I think it's the perfect size.

Moving to Bozeman, eh? I'm in Billings, about two hours to the east. Let me know anytime you make it out this way, there's plenty to see and I love to share it.

bijanjames

Adventurer
Sounds like an awesome build plan! Hefty makes some good stuff, and you can't go wrong with ARB. Looking forward to seeing it all evolve.

The ST Maxx is a great tire, and I think on this truck it is the perfect option in 265/75. That's what my tire plan is actually. You can go to 285s without hurting anything, but it's more weight and more money. Your gas mileage will suffer and your speedo will be off. These trucks look expo sexy on about 2-2.5" of lift, aggressive 265s, and some armor. That size tire also leaves the power alone, mostly. For an exploring/camping truck, I think it's the perfect size.

Moving to Bozeman, eh? I'm in Billings, about two hours to the east. Let me know anytime you make it out this way, there's plenty to see and I love to share it.

Like your truck, how's it holding up?

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Like your truck, how's it holding up?

Hey thanks.

Well, it's closing in on 130k on the clock. It has an exhaust shield rattle and a worn out suspension bushing or body mount on the driver's side. And that's it. I've had to change the timing set (which I believe Nissan upgraded, so shouldn't be a problem for you) and a couple of light bulbs. I am very confident I'll get over 250k with it.

Goes wherever I point it, tough as nails, and gets close to 20mpg on the highway with the mods I have now. Love it to death, wouldn't trade it for anything else available in North America.

bijanjames

Adventurer
ARB Bull Bar and Warn M8000 On Truck

IMG_3700.jpg

IMG_3694.jpgIMG_3693.jpg

I am going to do official measurement after the springs settle for a couple of days. Factory fogs don't fit so i ordered the ARB fog light kit. The ride is much improved with the added weight. I have an appointment with Chris at Heftyfab next week for the mock up of the rear bumper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles