'14 Tacoma Suspension Upgrade - advice for beginner

dmpags

Greetings Overlanders,

I'm mapping out some modifications for my bone stock '14 Tacoma QuadCab Off-Road, and I'm asking your wisdom and experience. The first thing I want to tackle is the suspension.

My ultimate goal is to gain approximately 3 inches of lift, minimal sagging under moderate to heavy loads, and a decent ride when empty. Eventually I plan to install an front bumper and winch on the front of the vehicle, and a topper and rack to the back. Other than that, I don't see much more in the way of heavy accessories until I get more experience. Overall, the end result will be a suspension upgrade capable of handling a good range of trails for camping trips ranging from 3 - 10 days.

Another consideration is price - I'd like to get the most bang for a little buck as possible.

My brief research has me thinking OME with Dakar springs... but I have also heard a Toytec Boss kit is a solid option, especially considering the added weight to come. As much as I'd love to go ICON, I think it's more than I need (for now) and can move up to that in time.

What do you think? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Best - David

Last edited:

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
OME maybe the best suspension for you. You can get it in regular and heavy duty, best to work out what your load is going to be and if you are adding bumpers and a winch.

The kit is well engineered, it fits, and works well in the field. It would be my recommendation for springs, you could always upgrade the shocks to Icon's at a later date.

Chandlerdoom

Observer
My advice would be buy what you ultimately want for the front, It can really make or break your driving experience. I went with the Icon stage 2 at first, I really regret it because I ditched the icon AAL not long after for a dakar (probably what you want, and can throw a aal down the line when you really start adding weight) I really wish I have 2.5 for the rears with compression adjustment. The front I wish I would have went LT from the beginning. The point is that at some time your "for now" suspension will start to wear on you and you really wish you would have put the money towards the set up you want.

For the record the icon bits are nice but I want more travel and rear shocks that can handle different weights better. Also if you go over to Autoanything.com they usually have 20% off (just about every other week) and it works on Icon if your looking to go that route.

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
Here is my totally different approach to your situation. First, leave your rig stock until you add the bumper and winch. you will hate having a medium to heavy duty suspension without that extra weight. I've had three OME suspension kits over the past 20 years and cannot reccomend them enough. Simple, rugged, and get the job done without breaking the bank. Next, unless you plan on carrying a lot of weight in the rear,, don't go heavy duty back there. Finally, do you really need a heavy bumper up front? Lots of money and weight for what reason other than looks.

Whatever you end up wiyh, make sure to get out and enjoy it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior