Airmapper's 2011 Nissan Xterra PRO-4X

Airmapper

Inactive Member
I have to also comment about the interior lighting. Looks bad-***!

Any link to which lights you used? Are they wired/jumped off the passenger overhead light?

Thanks. I got them from a site called Ozonium, should be one of their more popular products. Here it is: https://www.oznium.com/led-bolt

The wiring I did was probably overly complex. I have 2, 3 position switches hidden in one of the rear cubby compartments where cargo can't bump them.

I can control the hatch lights and interior lights separately, in one position the lights mimic the stock interior light, so it will "time out" when the BCM decides to kill interior power. The other on position is on forever.

However all of that is overridden by the hatch door switch, if I close it they all go out. And of course the off position of the switches make them stay off regardless.

The stock light is untouched and still works, I put a red LED in it and switched it off, but can turn it on and the rest off if I want light without harming night vision. Most of the time they are set to auto like the stock lights, if I'm camping and have the hatch open for extend periods I'll override the door lights to stay on for area lighting and kill the interior lights so bugs don't want to congregate inside.

Q9WmK-bmAfTRHYKWDZe4SbNyqpxNAbWSiq0vtypgCWJjLHZnHZ108d6JqYheWSjfC_4WV9veF87B6Wo3Y6Vm65efgkIxqotrPm8j0XOew9wJSKMGflevIwdfTG-HzHpmbraCdrdSPUJT7Lu_-yHsgTh7I6OyARh0Uu5viHMN698zwWmFvA1jisAF_AyXVgFf6Er62eYsctzm7mPFEBXmHFfGXFWYj6kf_EINqH3RwKUJxRNPZP-F8MPbkiE9KcgD-7asmLoO1KF1PZYwdZR9cgbe3abLpwWwkziFuLqf5oGk1s_RN67Mj2b7-T84IPrQy4Tts1jRYWFqLalL2G53vF76SFm3ZGIgcFZ1c1StO4EmoUIMsTEmq635JWt_huChGJEnM6RiQ_YYlcQ3tfF6LPhDTinKo7Jxd347OJaCT49CYem055LNXIhL0JwdLwaODDCYqero9o4kidkFIF8CZkPzTuGDH-V2woYHTet6FDMPpfsqYpNjIWN0icvFQplznr91RZ-Szk1VweuLlVZfClVfKGH1LTwfoC8q1QZgNnNHQWMUu2_s4w1UCp5JXjmurEjXtoA17XiQh0rVAkp5nM7W5iPbJ678MPc6zb5BPR6-gsuPHAyZ=w1136-h852-no

bigskypylot

Explorer
Thanks. I got them from a site called Ozonium, should be one of their more popular products. Here it is: https://www.oznium.com/led-bolt

The wiring I did was probably overly complex. I have 2, 3 position switches hidden in one of the rear cubby compartments where cargo can't bump them.

I can control the hatch lights and interior lights separately, in one position the lights mimic the stock interior light, so it will "time out" when the BCM decides to kill interior power. The other on position is on forever.

However all of that is overridden by the hatch door switch, if I close it they all go out. And of course the off position of the switches make them stay off regardless.

The stock light is untouched and still works, I put a red LED in it and switched it off, but can turn it on and the rest off if I want light without harming night vision. Most of the time they are set to auto like the stock lights, if I'm camping and have the hatch open for extend periods I'll override the door lights to stay on for area lighting and kill the interior lights so bugs don't want to congregate inside.

Q9WmK-bmAfTRHYKWDZe4SbNyqpxNAbWSiq0vtypgCWJjLHZnHZ108d6JqYheWSjfC_4WV9veF87B6Wo3Y6Vm65efgkIxqotrPm8j0XOew9wJSKMGflevIwdfTG-HzHpmbraCdrdSPUJT7Lu_-yHsgTh7I6OyARh0Uu5viHMN698zwWmFvA1jisAF_AyXVgFf6Er62eYsctzm7mPFEBXmHFfGXFWYj6kf_EINqH3RwKUJxRNPZP-F8MPbkiE9KcgD-7asmLoO1KF1PZYwdZR9cgbe3abLpwWwkziFuLqf5oGk1s_RN67Mj2b7-T84IPrQy4Tts1jRYWFqLalL2G53vF76SFm3ZGIgcFZ1c1StO4EmoUIMsTEmq635JWt_huChGJEnM6RiQ_YYlcQ3tfF6LPhDTinKo7Jxd347OJaCT49CYem055LNXIhL0JwdLwaODDCYqero9o4kidkFIF8CZkPzTuGDH-V2woYHTet6FDMPpfsqYpNjIWN0icvFQplznr91RZ-Szk1VweuLlVZfClVfKGH1LTwfoC8q1QZgNnNHQWMUu2_s4w1UCp5JXjmurEjXtoA17XiQh0rVAkp5nM7W5iPbJ678MPc6zb5BPR6-gsuPHAyZ=w1136-h852-no

Do you do installs?? LoL

AutoXSS

Adventurer
Just curious again, but would it possible to run a few of those off the middle row done light?

Any issues with drawing too much juice from that one source(I know they don't pull much)? I'm asking this here because you mentioned that your wiring was intricate and I'm looking for a simple solution

Airmapper

Inactive Member
Just curious again, but would it possible to run a few of those off the middle row done light?

Any issues with drawing too much juice from that one source(I know they don't pull much)? I'm asking this here because you mentioned that your wiring was intricate and I'm looking for a simple solution

With those little light bolts, you would probably be okay, I won't promise but as you know they draw so little current I can't imagine them overloading the circuit. I'd swap out the bulb in the OEM fixture for a LED to lower it's current draw so you would then have "excess" capacity to play with.

What would worry me more is access in that area.

AutoXSS

Adventurer
Yes, I already swapped all the stock interior bulbs with LED's. I think I need more, haha. Once I got a taste of better lighting I just got hooked.

The routing will probably be the deal breaker. I'm not real sure how close the headliner is to the outer body.

Airmapper

Inactive Member
How is the rig doing? Miss seeing the updates.
Thanks, it's doing great and working hard. I guess I don't update this much as I haven't made any huge mods lately since the GOBI rack. It has been on a good number of trips though this year I guess I could post about.

I'm working on the cargo area I posted in the projects forum, probably do an update when I finish that.

I bought an older 4runner almost a year ago so the Xterra is getting favored for more trips now I have the second rig for general errand running and going to work.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Airmapper

Inactive Member
Nice build !
Wish Nissan still sold these, especially with that manual trans!

Thank you, too bad I can't show it to you up close next week but maybe next time I visit the great state of WV. Keep an eye on I-64 Wednesday!

Actually this reminds me I need to do an extensive update to this thread. A couple-three new projects have transpired since I last posted to my build. Also looks like half my image links broke....:(

It needs a photo shoot to really show some of the changes well, maybe @BPD53 will help me out next week with that. Some campsite shots should do nicely.

B

BPD53

I'll do my best. :rolleyes:

I'm not much of a photographer but I've never backed down from a challenge.

Airmapper

Inactive Member
I'll do my best. :rolleyes:

I'm not much of a photographer but I've never backed down from a challenge.
You hook me up with some good background scenery and I'll be in good shape. I can position it in the yard to make it look like it's out in the woods, but its not the same as those awesome landscape views.

B

BPD53

You hook me up with some good background scenery and I'll be in good shape. I can position it in the yard to make it look like it's out in the woods, but its not the same as those awesome landscape views.

There should be no shortage of awesome scenery if the weather cooperates.

I’ll bet money that you’ll get some great shots.

FosterWV

Baller On A Budget
Yeah I'll have to catch up w you guys on the next one, speaking of I-64 enjoy our WV Orange Wildflowers they are in full bloom from Milton to Hurricane LoL

He's not afraid to use it either. He's taken it places that would surprise most people. I have nothing but respect for them after seeing @Airmapper in action.
That's awesome, and rare with most builds. I'd buy a xterra if they still built them, perfect double duty vehicle.

B

BPD53

Looking forward to seeing the photos of your latest modifications added to this thread. I always enjoy the homemade things the best.

I'll keep my eyes peeled for a chuck box too.;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles