Nissan Hardbody Overland Build

Nd4SpdSe

Adventurer, eh?
As far as I've been told, no. Could talk to the guy a RuggedRocks, he rums a Hardbody Pathy. He also sells the sliders and gusset kit, probably to make your own. In the end, probably just need to take those parts in to a weld shop to get them welded into the right spot.
https://ruggedrocksoffroad.com/builder-parts-rock-sliders-c-1202_895.html

As far as I've seen by the local guys, they had them made up. One of the guys of the club used to fab up bumpers and sliders, but it's been a few years since he stopped.

shsethna

Hi! First time posting.

old_goat_summer.JPGIMG_0131.jpg

I'm the second owner of this 1993 SE V6 Goat purchased in 1994 with 60,000mi.

Original owner was an old man who installed a lexan bug deflector, steel bull bar, fog lights, air horn, deer whistles, reverse beeper, and my favorite feature of this truck aside from the air horn... a driver-side over-the-door hand grab from a Oldsmobuick (pics coming.) I had the timing belt done on purchase (hasn't been done since.)

Manifold bolts are popped, trailer hitch is bent, needs a muffler and a parking brake, first gear is starting to slip (stock clutch) and it's got a little rust on the body but not much. I think the frame is rust-free (hope so anyway.) Odometer reads 185,000 but stopped working c.1998. My best guess is ~300,000mi. Pretty much stock and nothing wrong with her that can't be easily fixed.

At one point she wore Thule bars for boats, bikes + skis and we have a mint black rocket box in storage. Sitting on 30.5 BFGs and either stock or very slightly upgraded off-the-shelf suspension and brakes. I don't ride her hard anymore, but she'll still churn up rock, gravel, snow or mud two-track without a problem. She did some surveying with me, and she's traveled across the country several times, but never been abused. I just returned home from a 1,200mi spin Denver-> Durango-> El Malpais-> Taos-> Crestone-> Denver and she didn't miss a beat. This truck is so mint it still has the stock head unit.

Here's the deal... I want to drive this baby to Ushuaia from Denver. I'm not out to prove anything, not sponsored, not rich, not in a hurry to get there. Just want to hang out and see cool places, meet people and take pictures. Take a couple years at least. Who knows if I'll come back or just keep going.

My guess is it's time to rebuild the engine... address the exhaust manifold (finally after 20 years,) change the timing belt and water pump, upgrade the cam.

Don't need rock-crawling articulation but I do like taking the scenic route s̶o̶m̶e̶times most times. On board air? Winch? Sand ladders?

I'm picturing myself traveling pretty light, almost like backpacking out of the truck. I'll go off the grid for few days to a week at a time, but not much longer than that. Safari rack for water, fuel and spare, aux deep cycle battery + small solar panel, roof tent.

Budget for improvements ~$4500-6000. Time frame to departure 3-4 months.

I've always dreamed of doing this but I'm not sure if I should build the Goat or just fly to Chile and buy a second-hand, built 4Runner/ HiLux/ Navarra there. I'm kinda thinking out loud to you strangers on the internet hoping you'll talk me into it, offer me suggestions, inspiration, advice, tech tips and let me buy you a beer while we build this sucker. ;-) Waddya say?

Last edited:

ADP91

Sounds like you've got a pretty solid plan. If you're planning on taking on a trip like that I'd definitely recommend rebuilding the engine. 4-6k is pretty reasonable cost estimate. Others on the board have recommended steering component upgrades so that might be something to include as well. Best of luck!

ADP91

Hey everyone engine is finally back in the d21. Quick question, would it be advisable to run the radiator without the fan shroud? Does it serve a purpose other than protecting people from the fan blades?

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Hey everyone engine is finally back in the d21. Quick question, would it be advisable to run the radiator without the fan shroud? Does it serve a purpose other than protecting people from the fan blades?

The fan shroud helps direct and funnel the flow of cool air. Without it, the fan isn't as efficient at pulling air directly through the radiator. I'd keep the shroud, as much of a pain as they can be.

Secretsponge

I ditched the shroud and clutch fan & wired up a 14" puller fan, works great so far, going on 6 months, worth it when it comes to maintenance

ADP91

Good news everyone!

The KA24e rebuild was a success! Just going through the break-in period before I plan any outings.

Has anyone attempted to mount a roof basket on the cab of a d21? I have a roof basket that I'd like to use but I'm planning on using the real-estate above the canopy for a RTT.
Thoughts, ideas?

ADP

pcarr01

I'm looking forward to seeing some pictures as this project comes along. Those are some pretty good looking Hardbodies.

I'm normally lurking in the shadows of these forums for inspiration but I'll try to attach a picture or 2 of mine. I've had it since 2007 when I got it from my great uncle, with about 130 k miles, who bought it new. It is bone stock except normal maintenance parts. Replaced clutch at 145k and various other odds and ends along the way. It's definitely a continuous project. I have just recently begun planning a "build" for it, but keeping the mechanical stuff as stock as possible and everything else as light as possible. It's currently primarily my hunting/fishing/camping vehicle but I'm getting more interested in extended remote camping. I always like seeing other Hardbodies and hearing trail stories of them. They are growing fewer as the years go by.

I have a box of parts in the garage that are waiting for a nice day to change out (ball joints, tie rods, etc.)

A few things that I'm hoping/planning to do in the near future (no particular order):
-Steering (already have parts)
-General tune up (plugs, wires, etc)
-Shocks and maybe real leaf pack (Bilsteins or KYBs, still back and forth on that, looking for smoother ride on washboard roads)
-Diff fluid change
-Diff & Trans breather extensions
-Windshield (Large crack right through driver's view)
-Tires (replacing old Firestone Destination MT's and going back to an AT tread)
-Interior (new roof liner, cleaned up carpet, seats, etc)
-Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier (aesthetics and I like the idea of having my spare up from under the bed)
-Winch set up (Maybe front bumper, want to keep added weight to a minimum)
-Camper Shell or Soft Topper
-CB & Antenna (Until I get a HAM license in the distant future)
-On board air (just want an effective and dependable way to re-inflate tires)

...To name a few..

Here's another site that has some pretty good information and inspiration: http://www.nissan4wheelers.com/

They seem to be a pretty good group of guys over there and I've had good feedback with anything I've asked about.

1994 D21 King Cab 2.4L 4x4
175,xxx miles
Tires: 31X10.50 Firestone Destination MT

How do you attach images to a reply?

-Paul

pcarr01

It has been over a year but I guess it's better late than never. Here are a few pics of my D21 Hardbody.

I rebuilt the front end around Thanksgiving and got new tires. Went back to stock sized 235/75x15 Firestone Destination ATs. They've done everything I've needed them to so far but I miss the look of the 31s.

Still checking things off my list but focusing mostly on making it run and drive well and dependable. Getting a few little trips under the belt and planning a few more for this year.
13d5311da984f6874cbd55c14eabc1a9.jpg
f45542ad3d2e2c55af61bfc56bc5c420.jpg
9f0da0df8fd335e123074c66d0e19bc9.jpg
da2673909efcd7ffd28666d3afba1a40.jpg
12615a443999c0085750c852f5f3484e.jpg
14c843d77362ce321309f09be2f35064.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

gfb

Awesome to see the rig! I am also working on my D21, about to ship it home to Maui where it will be doing surf and light camping duty. Love these trucks. The only mods I have right now are BF Goodrich TA K0s and some LED spots (not pictured.) Rack system goes in this week along with monstaliner DIY bedliner (fingers crossed.)
ewwmp4cg3ety.jpg

pcarr01

gfb, I'd like to see more of this rack system. I've been looking around for something better to haul canoes/kayaks with.

BTW that's a clean looking truck. I'm hoping to paint mine in the next six months or so. Just cleaning it up so I don't look so homeless driving around in it. HAHA

Also beginning stages of modeling up some bumpers to have fabricated (I'm not a welder yet, but I can design).

ritter

Went back to stock sized 235/75x15 Firestone Destination ATs. They've done everything I've needed them to so far but I miss the look of the 31s.

Can you elaborate on the tire change? I've got 235s and have considered 31s but am afraid I'll regret the performance hit.

pcarr01

Can you elaborate on the tire change? I've got 235s and have considered 31s but am afraid I'll regret the performance hit.

I think it's about 1.5" difference in diameter. There are calculators online that'll show you what it'll look like, old to new.

I liked the look of the 31s better and I think they rode a bit smoother, especially on rough forestry roads. Performance wise, I think the losses were negligible. Though your odometer will read about 10% slower than it's actually going and about the same fewer miles shown on the clock. There's definitely more rolling mass, which does affect acceleration and braking, but not much. I think the style (mt vs at), quality, and drive style have more to do with it than a 1.5" difference. Off-road, it's a billy goat either way but even an extra inch of ground clearance can go a long way.

I got the truck in 2007 with bald 235 street tires. Went to 31x10.50r15 BFG TA KOs and drove them all over the place while I was stationed in NC. Mud, dirt, snow and ice, Sandy beaches, etc. They were great. I moved back to AR and decided to get MTs. Went with Firestone Destination MTs in 31". They were pretty good, but a rough ride especially on the road. Handled snow, ice, and mud fine but gravel and rocks were tough and chipped the treads a bit. In Nov '16 I rebuilt the front end and replaced the MTs with 235/75-15 Destination ATs and have about 3k miles on them, mostly highway and dirt roads. I'm happy with their performance so far and I gained about 2 mpg back. But I didn't get back enough truck performance to write home about.

All of this being said, when this set wears out, I'm going back to 31s. Probably BFG ATs, though I've looked at a few other brands. I think that's for a different thread though.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne