Nissan Hardbody Overland Build

ADP91

Hello everyone,

I just discovered this site and I'm blown away by the amount of information available for kiting out overland rigs. That being said I am in need of advice for what to do to my 91 Nissan Hardbody Ext. cab Ka24e. So here's the story...

This truck is my second 4x4 build project, my first was a 2dr explorer that surprise surprise exploded! So to replace the exploder I bought a clean 91 Nissan HB that had 230,000km, a canopy, and was sitting on 31x10.5 BFG ATs for $2500. I drove it for six months and the head blew, flooding the entire engine with coolant and destroying the bottom end. So now that the truck is parked in the garage I've had a chance to sit down and figure what I want the truck to be capable of and what I need to add and modify to achieve that.

Thus far I want the truck to be able to:

* Go on extended overland trips (2 weeks-1.5 months)
* Handle challenging 4x4 trails
* Maintain decent fuel economy (I understand that these trucks are notoriously underpowered, I don't mind going slow as long as I can get there without spending a ton of $.)

So far the list of modification and repairs includes:

* Rebuild the Ka24e (keeping engine in stock specs, except for performance exhaust headers, for reliability.)
* Add snorkel kit
* Rebuild brakes all around
* Suspension and steering
-->Here is where I'm hung up. Do I replace wearable components (tie rods, ball joints, etc) and swap in new shocks all around, get the 3" calmini lift kit, or bite the bullet and do a sas?
* Arb air compressor for air tools and air locker in rear axle
* Get fabricator friend to construct a winch bumper to house an 8000lb? winch setup.
* Cb radio + antenna
* Tepui 3 man roof top tent on the canopy
--> also considering just making a sleeping/ storage setup in the back.
* Roof basket over cab for spare tire and fuel
* Construct a storage system for the bed
-->hold camping gear, tools, cooler, etc
* battery bank (deep cycle batteries x2), power inverter, high output alternator

This is what I've come up thus far, my budget is open at the moment. Basically I want a rig that will be as bulletproof and capable as can be while maintaining some road manners and decent fuel manage, I know that's ambiguous but I'm hopping that individuals will help me narrow my focus and assist me in finding the best direction for the build. I look forward to your critiques and comments.

Cheers, ADP

Last edited:

hove102

Adventurer
How gnarly are the trails you're willing to undertake? My understanding is that there will always be compromises, so if you go with the 3" Calmini kit (which would be my choice), you'll lose a bit of capability over an SAS, but you'll retain solid road manners and probably get a smidge better mileage. Also, there is a lot less fab work to be done with a bolt-in lift. An SAS on the other hand will give you massive capability, but you'll definitely lose some over-the-road manners purely because solid axle rigs don't drive as nicely as IFS rigs do on pavement...and then there's the fab involved too.

Other than that, I think your list is pretty solid for building a thorough overland rig. I'm sure there are people who can offer way more insight into your truck but that's just my perspective. Can't wait to see where your project goes. Hardbodies have always been a personal favorite of mine.

bushnut

Adventurer
before you build "the ULTIMATE" rig. I'd just fix what is broken, make it reliable and safe. Use the money saved for longer trips. Off roading in a nearly stock rig is a good test of its and your abilities and it takes much less gnar to make trails challenging. An Overland rig is always a work in process as your needs will change.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Last summer I went on a wheeling trip with a couple friends of mine. I had a 2005 Frontier (D40), one guy had a 1998 Frontier (D22), and the other guy had a 1989 Hardbody.

His truck was totally stock, except for an ARB bumper and a slight torsion bar lift. Funny thing is he had the most ground clearance of all of us, and kept up with my locked D40 and my friend's lifted and aggressive-tired D22. Anyway, the moral of the story is the Hardbody is very capable as it comes and very reliable. It's advantage is how light and small it is. It's a little billy goat.

The key to reliability is minimal modification. If it was me, I'd crank the torsion bars a bit (perhaps get some heavier duty bars), beef up the stock steering, add a heavier duty leaf pack in the rear, get some good shocks, and put some 32s on it. That will make it drive well on the road and be even more capable when off road. The SAS is unnecessary, and you'll be amazed at the difference having a locker in the back will make. Finding replacement parts for a SAS setup when you're away from home can be a pain. Plus it's more weight to an already underpowered vehicle.

I really like your other plans though. I'm an advocate of the RTT, as it will give you better storage options over a sleeping platform. They are so nice to sleep in and so easy to set up.

Also, an 8000lb winch should be more than enough for what you're doing.

Best of luck with the build! We need some pics!

kylevd23

Observer
Last summer I went on a wheeling trip with a couple friends of mine. I had a 2005 Frontier (D40), one guy had a 1998 Frontier (D22), and the other guy had a 1989 Hardbody.

His truck was totally stock, except for an ARB bumper and a slight torsion bar lift. Funny thing is he had the most ground clearance of all of us, and kept up with my locked D40 and my friend's lifted and aggressive-tired D22. Anyway, the moral of the story is the Hardbody is very capable as it comes and very reliable. It's advantage is how light and small it is. It's a little billy goat.

The key to reliability is minimal modification. If it was me, I'd crank the torsion bars a bit (perhaps get some heavier duty bars), beef up the stock steering, add a heavier duty leaf pack in the rear, get some good shocks, and put some 32s on it. That will make it drive well on the road and be even more capable when off road. The SAS is unnecessary, and you'll be amazed at the difference having a locker in the back will make. Finding replacement parts for a SAS setup when you're away from home can be a pain. Plus it's more weight to an already underpowered vehicle.

I really like your other plans though. I'm an advocate of the RTT, as it will give you better storage options over a sleeping platform. They are so nice to sleep in and so easy to set up.

Also, an 8000lb winch should be more than enough for what you're doing.

Best of luck with the build! We need some pics!

I definitely agree with this, I currently drive a PRO-4X Titan, all stock with factory locker, and it's been able to hang with modified jeeps, toyotas, and so on in the trails without any hick ups. So with keeping a stock profile and some nice tires, and maybe light suspension work, you will be more than able to accomplish your goals.

MTWheeler

Observer
Did someone say Hardbody build?! Here's mine! Simply is better. If you get a lot of trail time behind the wheel with it, you'd be shocked where they'd go!
c70b881bb6634fa003d1f5b2f492ffdd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ADP91

Thanks for the input everyone. Reliability and simple/ minimal modifications seem to be the rule of thumb.

MTWheeler your truck is very similar to what I'd like to aim for. What size tires are you running and what have you done suspension wise?

Pics to come..

MTWheeler

Observer
Tires are 30x9.50 R15 Hercules Terra Trac RS's. I have a $36 rear add a leaf kit from Summit Racing, and the $200ish UCA's from 4x4 parts. Reindexed tbars as well.
Probably could clear 32's but as you mentioned, they a horribly underpowered, and didn't want to regear. Might do 31s next time, but for now, these tires work great!
Let me know if you have anymore questions!

ADP91

Do the UCA's and reindexed Torsion bars allow you crank them up while maintaining proper alignment?

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
Do the UCA's and reindexed Torsion bars allow you crank them up while maintaining proper alignment?

Yes AC 4x4 UCA help maintain proper alignment (they are just a lil' longer) and re-indexing torsion bars is the same as "cranking them up".
Looking forward to your build.

Heloflyboy

Adventurer
I have built a few Nissan's and I would go with what other's have said. Get it running well first.
I have used Rancho suspensions arms(they do not make anymore),Cal Mini's and AC 4x4. Cal mini's were the best quality. Stay away from SAS unless you have the ability to weld, room to do the work and a front axle already. If you are not planning on doing rock crawling you will be happier in the long run. Just get out and use it , you will be surprised how well it does.
Have fun.

ADP91

Has anyone swapped a larger fuel tank into a HB? The 15.9 Gallon tank has me a little concerned for fuel range.

Cheers

MTWheeler

Observer
I have looked into putting a 21 gallon tank from a V6 HB. Should be a direct swap...

ADP91

Here are a few shots of the truck. Its parked until the engine gets rebuilt. Engine just needs to be unbolted and it'll be ready to pull out.

IMAG0237.jpg
IMAG0234.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
camshaft700