New Happy Owner of a 2015 FWC Hawk

I went up to see Matt and Peter at Mainline Overland in West Chester Pa to pick up my new Hawk. WOOO HOOOO!
As I was heading home going south on I-81 in Virginia, I ran into BillHarr as he was heading north on I-81. Imagine that, two FWC Hawk owners in the middle of nowhere Virginia.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    529.1 KB · Views: 71
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    533 KB · Views: 68
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    544 KB · Views: 60
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 61

eblau

Adventurer
Truly, what are the chances!!?

Nice truck/ camper combo!!

I went up to see Matt and Peter at Mainline Overland in West Chester Pa to pick up my new Hawk. WOOO HOOOO!
As I was heading home going south on I-81 in Virginia, I ran into BillHarr as he was heading north on I-81. Imagine that, two FWC Hawk owners in the middle of nowhere Virginia.

TZtraveler

Two great-looking campers! Amazing you ran into each other -- one with a brand new Hawk, and the other with a whole bunch of experience building out at least two FWC's.

We actually had talked prior to meeting. It all came down to timing and we met within an equal distance of 9 miles each away from an exit. That was cool!

brian90744

American Trekker
towing M416

Now you can tow your M416, save loading the inside of your new camper. Maybe switch the solar panel to the camper?? I think you & the wife will enjoy the camper more than setting up the trailer??=brian

Now you can tow your M416, save loading the inside of your new camper. Maybe switch the solar panel to the camper?? I think you & the wife will enjoy the camper more than setting up the trailer??=brian
Yes we will but I'm not married and Bayleaf is my dog/daughter!:) I was planning on installing solar on the camper. I have a couple of hard panels but I was thinking of buying a couple of flex panels from Renogy as they will sit nearly flush with the roof. I may sell the M416 trailer. I need to do some driving tests with or without the trailer . It would be nice to haul all of my extra carp around...

Last edited:

brian90744

American Trekker
Sorry I got you married off. Keep your daughter however plus keep the trailer you will regret it later if you sell it, you put so much work in to it, I think you should sell all the parts (piecemeal) you don't need, now you have a house on wheels. You will be able the carry the kayaks on the trailer, as well as fire wood, BarBQ, ect.. just my 2cents=brian

Last edited:

Just Jeff

Observer
Congrats on your new camper! I've been following your progress, as you had many of the same questions I had here and at WTW. You've been helpful just by sharing your exploration into the decision making process!

I'm in VA, and will order a Silver Spur Hawk from MLO relatively soon.

Just Jeff

Observer
Also, do you have a final weight for your camper? And did you happen to measure how much it caused your truck to squat when it was loaded? Because from these pics, it doesn't look like it squatted much at all!

Sorry I got you married off. Keep your daughter however plus keep the trailer you will regret it later if you sell it, you put so much work in to it, I think you should sell all the parts (piecemeal) you don't need, now you have a house on wheels. You will be able the carry the kayaks on the trailer, as well as fire wood, BarBQ, ect.. just my 2cents=brian

I am leaning towards what you're saying about keeping everything. I have taken the solar and battery system out of the trailer and installed it into the camper. Storage is at a premium so having the secure trailer to store and haul the kayaks has been at the forefront of my thoughts lately. I plan on running around with the two this weekend to see if I can see the trailer behind the camper. Plus what kind of milage I'll get, and how they handle. I've seen some other rigs posted online of nearly the same setup. I might need to install some backup cameras...

Congrats on your new camper! I've been following your progress, as you had many of the same questions I had here and at WTW. You've been helpful just by sharing your exploration into the decision making process!

I'm in VA, and will order a Silver Spur Hawk from MLO relatively soon.
Thanks Just Jeff. Ugh the decision making process was heavily thought through and through to near obsession. The things are quite expensive so it's a needed thing to work it all out and research everything before "taking the plunge". Please give Matt and Peter my best wishes. And thanks again for letting me know I was able to help in my indirect way:wings:

Also, do you have a final weight for your camper? And did you happen to measure how much it caused your truck to squat when it was loaded? Because from these pics, it doesn't look like it squatted much at all!

The final weight they gave me was 1,219 lbs. that's dry with all the options I ordered. The truck was lifted quite a bit from the add a leaf spring. The camper pushed it down a good deal, but it is still a little higher in the back. I may install a leveling kit in the front. I'm trying to save some money for my next adventure. I'm thinking if the truck was level, I would get maybe a 1/2 to a mile better MPG.?

surlydiesel

Adventurer
Actually leveling the truck out will decrease or have no effect on Fuel Economy. The main reason why stock vehicles have a rake to them is to get the nose down and into the wind to cut it better. Trucks usually are a bit raked so when they are loaded down, you don't end up with too much sag. Based on the pictures, I'd say your truck looks good just as it is. Save your money and go adventuring!!!!

Nice Setup!

-jorge

Actually leveling the truck out will decrease or have no effect on Fuel Economy. The main reason why stock vehicles have a rake to them is to get the nose down and into the wind to cut it better. Trucks usually are a bit raked so when they are loaded down, you don't end up with too much sag. Based on the pictures, I'd say your truck looks good just as it is. Save your money and go adventuring!!!!

Nice Setup!

-jorge
Awesome, Thanks Jorge!

I just received my 2 Renogy 100W solar panels. I'm gonna mount them to the roof of the Hawk using a Marine 700 adhesive. They're only 0.12" thick and weigh only 4 lbs each. If one ever goes bad in the future, I'll just glue another down on top of it. I was originally going to mount a couple of 100W rigid panels that I already have but the combined weight of the two new panels at 8lbs is still 9.6 lbs lighter than just one rigid 100W panel.
I may fab up a wind deflector and mount one of the panels there...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    535.6 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    536.3 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    539.8 KB · Views: 4

Forum statistics

Threads