Public Comment Period on Proposed Day-Use Permits for Elephant Hill and White Rim

Strizzo

Explorer
Canyonlands National Park Seeks Public Input on Proposed Day-Use Permits for Elephant Hill and White Rim Roads

http://www.nps.gov/cany/learn/news/news031615.htm

Canyonlands is proposing limiting the number of day use vehicles on white rim and elephant hill trails.

The big issue I see is getting the permits, and group size limitation. When i was on Elephant hill last year, we only saw one other group, but they were 5 or 6 rigs, and I imagine that is more the norm than three or less.

For the White Rim Road, a total of 50 day-use vehicle permits (including motorcycles) and 50 day-use bicycle permits will be issued each day. Group size will be limited to three vehicles and 15 bicycles.

A total of 24 day-use vehicle permits (including motorcycles) and 12 day-use bicycle permits will be issued each day for the Elephant Hill Road. Group size will be limited to three vehicles and 12 bicycles.

Each motor vehicle and individual bicycle will need a permit.

A

agavelvr

Hmmm
Permits would help regulate use, but elephant hill can sustain more than 24 vehicles in a typical day IMHO.
A group of 15 bikes is a lot more annoying on the trail than a group of 15 motorcycles... The motos get out of the way quicker :). The bikes traveling with an outfitter on the white rim trail are probably the biggest congestion issue... The rarely pull over and let you pass as they pedal at 5 mph. That and it is about 30 feet or so until you run into the next Mtn bike who needs a guide to ride a fairly easy dirt road. I like biking, but the white rim trail needs to figure out a better way to manage it to enhance everyone's experience.

lwg

I wouldn't be surprised if this was being put into place for either MTB's OR Side by Sides that likely qualify as vehicles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste