Cabrito's 2002 Honda XR400R

1stDeuce

Explorer
I just bucked up for a Seat Concepts seat for my XR. Been riding the stock seat for many years without too much trouble, but longer rides were a bit tough on the backside. The Seat Concepts seat is wider under my hiney, which is nice. It also has some light padding right under the vinyl. Foam feels similar in density to the stock XR seat. Just FYI. :)

Looks like you are enjoying the bike!!

Cabrito

I come in Peace
I just bucked up for a Seat Concepts seat for my XR. Been riding the stock seat for many years without too much trouble, but longer rides were a bit tough on the backside. The Seat Concepts seat is wider under my hiney, which is nice. It also has some light padding right under the vinyl. Foam feels similar in density to the stock XR seat. Just FYI. :)

Looks like you are enjoying the bike!!

Hey 1stDuce,
Thanks for the tip on the seat. After riding the Sheetiron 300 last week I was just thinking about getting something a little better for the longer rides.

Sheetiron is a 300 mile two day ride, and the XR4 performed nicely.

Here's a shot on the second day over Clear lake

Cabrito

I come in Peace
Thanks hunsonora, I'm sure you can find another one in CO. There are lots of them for sale around here in the SF .

I messed around and got a 1997 tip. It's about as loud as the White Bros I removed a while ago, but this doesn't need repacking. The smaller tip does sound good, and it's nice and stealthy, but the 97 tip sounds really good...

Cabrito

I come in Peace
Prepping for Baja in January.

Installed USB port, and hardwired my GPS power. Both are on a quick disconnect so that the battery doesn't get drained. This bike just has a small battery pack so it runs down quickly. I'm getting over 14v so I hope the GPS and USB have adequate resisters in them and I don't cook my battery.

Trying out my GiantLoop Coyote and GL Tank Bag for the first time next weekend on a 400-500 mile ride/camp. Gotta make sure it's all sorted before Baja in January.

Cabrito

I come in Peace
Closing out the year and into 2017

July we ran down to Prewitt Ridge along the California Coast. Three XR's two were 650's. All the bikes were loaded for camping as a shake down for Baja in Jan 2017

I packed too much and had to use my stuff sack in addition to my GL Coyote bag. That's not gonna happen for Baja

All the bikes ran excellent! It was a 500 mile weekend.

I didn't get much riding in the next few months :(

I've been prepping it for Baja though.

Cabrito

I come in Peace
Baja Prep for our 1k mile trip at the end of January:

Raised bike to stock height. Required replacing lowering link with stock link and raising forks in the tripleclamps. I also adjusted the sag. It was super soft before.

New NGK DPR9Z plug (one colder for the long days in the sand)

Oil change w/filter

New Maxxis Desert IT tires will go on in the next week.

Installed a Tach, and took one of my LED lights off the KLR and mounted it to my barkbuster

It's bright

New IMS footpegs ( I don't trust my el-cheapo noname ones I got on Ebay)

New Devol Disk guard

New fuel petcocks from JustGasTanks.com (my old ones were both leaking)

Flush mounted LED blinkers on the rear (had to put in a LED blinker relay) now I'm LED front and rear on the turn signals. No more broken rear signals from drops!

The front signals are built into my barkbusters.

Cabrito

I come in Peace
Wow.. A whole year goes by like that - Snap!

Baja in Jan 2017 was killer...
The little XR4 took me on the 1K mile loop with not a single issue.

I went with 23 of my closest friends

Bahia De Los Angeles

El Arco abandoned Army base

Fully Loaded in the cactus forests

I made a new Friend who fed me fresh Scallops and a cup of Coffee

A few from the road

Gunmetal

This is fantastic! I bought an '01 XR400 last year with the purpose of having it be an light adventure bike but haven't done much with it, this thread has given me a ton of new ideas for it though. Who makes the rear fender brake light/license plate holder? I've been looking for something like that but haven't found much.

Cabrito

I come in Peace
This is fantastic! I bought an '01 XR400 last year with the purpose of having it be an light adventure bike but haven't done much with it, this thread has given me a ton of new ideas for it though. Who makes the rear fender brake light/license plate holder? I've been looking for something like that but haven't found much.

Hey sorry for the late reply.. Thanks for the nice comments. Other than frequent valve adjustments, oil changes, and lousy gearing for highway/freeway travel I like the XR4 as a light adventure bike.

The license plate holder is using a cheap plastic license plate cover and the mounting bracket is from my KLR650 - see part below. The Brake light is the OEM with a dual element added to it. I got rid of the aftermarket one that came with it.
Plate holder.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles