Cabrito's 2002 Honda XR400R

Cabrito

I come in Peace
Just bought this nice little gem. It's plated in CA!

2002 Honda XR400R

I'm going to use it for local ADV rides, and built it up a bit for Baja. After taking my KLR to Baja I decided I need a small dirty bike so this is it. One of my friends had one in Baja and he was always in the lead with the XR650's and KTM 640/690's -

Not much needed other than a Bash Plate, rear rack, and a bigger tank. It's already piped, and jetted.

Pics from the ad

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Hows the build coming?

I'm hopefully going to pull the trigger on a very nicely setup XR650R this weekend. So stoked to be riding again!

Cabrito

I come in Peace
Hows the build coming?

I'm hopefully going to pull the trigger on a very nicely setup XR650R this weekend. So stoked to be riding again!

Is your XR650R going to be plated?

And, since you asked.

I did get a bigger bash plate. (Lousy picture of the bash plate)

Started with a small rack I found on Ebay. I also temporarily put some old turn signals I had laying around on after I broke both rear signals recently.

Mounted up a Trail Tech Vapor so I can see my RPM's, speed, ect.

All I really need now is the bigger tank and I'm ready for Baja!

Cabrito

I come in Peace
Turns out that this rear rack I bought has holes pre-drilled that match my RotoPax kit. I'm heading out on a dual sport ride in a few weeks, and I'm going to need to carry some extra fuel so this works nicely.

--

I also put some cheap-o wider foot pegs on.

--

One other thing was the previous owner opened up the airbox (removed the snorkel?) so I put this pre-filter material over the opening.

1stDeuce

Explorer
Nice clean XR! Mine is starting to show it's age in terms of cosmetics, but it's still a spring chicken as far as mileage and reliability. :)

That is a pretty nice rack... Is it aluminum or steel? I made an aluminum one from tube that's been serving me well for years now, but I would like to be able to put some bag supports on it, and looking for a better base. Bought one off Ebay for the wife's 230M, but it's really heavy. (Steel)

Also, how do you like the Kenda 270's? And what size are they? I'm looking to go 3.25/5.10. I'm going to bump to 270's or 244's on my next tire change. I don't need knobbies, and people with lighter bikes seem to like them. :)

Cabrito

I come in Peace
Nice clean XR! Mine is starting to show it's age in terms of cosmetics, but it's still a spring chicken as far as mileage and reliability. :)

That is a pretty nice rack... Is it aluminum or steel? I made an aluminum one from tube that's been serving me well for years now, but I would like to be able to put some bag supports on it, and looking for a better base. Bought one off Ebay for the wife's 230M, but it's really heavy. (Steel)

Also, how do you like the Kenda 270's? And what size are they? I'm looking to go 3.25/5.10. I'm going to bump to 270's or 244's on my next tire change. I don't need knobbies, and people with lighter bikes seem to like them. :)

Hey 1stDeuce,

Thanks for the kind comments on my XR4.

I like the Kenda's pretty good. They work for just about everything. Currently I have 3.25 / 4.50's on it.

My rack is Aluminum and works great. The RotoPax mounts right up to it. It's made by WRP and I got it on Ebay.

Last edited:

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
I just took a huge chunk out my XR 400 front rim if you know of a parts bike. I think that's the first real part I ever broke on it. I know the frame around the kickstand can crack from sitting on the bike with the stand down or using the stand as a pivot for U-turns on a single track but that's the only problem I know of and they may have beefed it up by 2002. Mine tacks out real high on the road because of chain gearing. What sprockets are you running and how fast can you cruise?

Cabrito

I come in Peace
I just took a huge chunk out my XR 400 front rim if you know of a parts bike. I think that's the first real part I ever broke on it. I know the frame around the kickstand can crack from sitting on the bike with the stand down or using the stand as a pivot for U-turns on a single track but that's the only problem I know of and they may have beefed it up by 2002. Mine tacks out real high on the road because of chain gearing. What sprockets are you running and how fast can you cruise?

Hey Stumpalump,
a friend of mine just picked up a used XR400 front on Ebay for $75 shipped. Hope you find one for yours.

The Kickstand can also break if you stand on it while kick starting the bike from what I hear.

I'm running 15-43 sprockets right now and I can do 55-60mph no problem for a bit. I push it up to 65-70 in bursts. I'm at 5500 RPM at 55mph

Last edited:

Cabrito

I come in Peace
XR650 extended idle screw installed on the XR4 - This is helpful because mine likes to be turned three time before cold starts, and it was a pain getting under the tank once I put the larger tank on.

Cabrito

I come in Peace
Acerbis 5.8g tank installed

I scored a used 5.8 Acerbis tank from a friend. Also installed a set of Maxxis Desert IT's - they are super stiff and seem to resist punctures!

Just in time for Death Valley trip over Thanksgiving. Came in handy on our 180 mile loop

It sure made it harder to pick up though with all that gasoline.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles