Crocs?

joelbert

Adventurer
Very comfortable

Crocs are very comfortable, but definitely a word of warning about slippery on concrete, wet grass, etc under the right conditions.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
I worked for Crocs running the custom printing program. Even though I have many pairs, that were all free, I still hate them. Don't like they way they feel on my feet, nor do I like the looks of them.

jdillard

Observer
O.K., so according to all these posts, they collect water in a shower, don't protect from thorns, slip around on your feet when wet, have slippery soles when wet, make your feet sweat, they stink, don't fit, will stop your pacemaker, they're a decade's old fad, and they're ugly.

What's not to like?

Honu

lost on the mainland
if you leave them outside in AZ as your run outside slippers well they shrink a size or more :)

just something else for the list :)

O.K., so according to all these posts, they collect water in a shower, don't protect from thorns, slip around on your feet when wet, have slippery soles when wet, make your feet sweat, they stink, don't fit, will stop your pacemaker, they're a decade's old fad, and they're ugly.

What's not to like?

GalacticFuzz

I have a pair of Crocs, haven't been disappointed with them. They are nice to wear around the yard and with Kayaking makes it even nicer since they are rubber and don't hold water. I used to make fun of my dad with his but after using his once, I ended up with a pair.

slvyj

Observer
I use Crocs as my house slipper. My wife won't allow me to wear shoes in the house, so when I get home I slip on my Crocs. In the past, I use to buy those slippers they sell around Xmas but they would wear out in one or two months. My Crocs have lasted me over two years!. I have two pairs, one with cloth lining for winter and summer pair without. I have a third pair for outdoors that I agree, can be slippery on wet pavement and are the worst shower shoes but for just lounging around camp and letting your feet air out, they are the best!

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I just bought my first pair. 24 dollars. Cannot argue with that. I love em. Super comfy, just slip on and who gives two F*&CKs what other people think. ha ha.

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader
Either you love them or you hate them...
Me? I love them. Wear them all the time... yard work, hiked and spent OEX 13, DRV 12, ARV 14 wearing them. Crossed the El Camino del Diablo and the KofA NWR wearing them. They have GREAT traction once broken in. They float. Parents can chuck them at their urchins without damaging them whilst minimizing collateral damage to surroundings.

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
OP, the answer to your question is Chacos.

I actually want a pair of Chacos.

That being said, I also have a pair of Crocs, but I haven't worn them in some time. I got them in 2005 or 2006 or so. I don't like driving in them, but they're hard to beat for putzing around the yard or campsite. They offer a bit more protection from stuff than, say, flip-flops. I wear them washing the car sometimes, too.

And the little holes at the top? That's where your dignity leaks out. :D (I kid, I kid!)

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I saw this on Inside Amy Schumer and thought of this thread:

...a tour of a future museum in which men's bad 2010s outfits have been preserved as if they were a global tragedy on par with the Holocaust. There's incredible attention to detail here like placards reading “Ironic Pseudo Hipster” and a monument built out of “5,200 pairs of Crocs” that brings one visitor to tears.

brushogger

Explorer
OP, the answer to your question is Chacos.

The Tevas are great also. Amazing traction wet or dry. I hated to spend that much money the first time in a pair of sandals, but I'll never be without them again. The Velcro adjustments are very handy around water. The nylon straps soak up water and elongate some. You can quickly tighten them back up without removing them, and loosen them as they dry. They will stay on even when swimming 300yds of class 4 rapids. (It was an unintentional test).

OCD Overland

Explorer
I tried out the Chacos but the arches are so high in them that they hurt my feet just walking around the store. I'd resigned myself to Teva's but then in a flash of genius I thought I'd see if Lowa makes sandals. Well, they do, and they fit my feet every bit as good as their boots. I got the Lowa Bahia's, which have a very similar design to the Chacos. They soak up a bit more water in the uppers than I'd like but they dry fairly quickly.

rotti

Adventurer
OP here and an update.
Never thought my question on Crocs would elicit such passionate responses...funny.

I have had my new Crocs now for several months and am very happy with them. I do have Teva sandals but I was looking for more of a quick slip on style for campground showers and trips out into the bush in the middle of the night. They work fine in the showers, absorbing no water and drain well. I find them very comfortable to walk in without the flopping of flip flops but would definitely not consider them distance "walking" shoes. They also love goat head thorns but luckily those things are very short.

Brought them along to Overland Expo but they were unusable. Hip boots would have been a better choice:

SjmCKjr.jpg

Oh for the Croc haters I got mine in real tree camo....all the better to blend in and not upset you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles