How do you build a legal safe bench seat convertible to bed?

bunce1260

Observer
AWD Astro, convert to camper and move across the country CHI-PDX

Hello, we'll probably be moving 2000 miles at the beginning of fall. I've always wanted a campervan, so I thought instead of renting extra trailer/truck/pod space to move some stuff, this could be a good opportunity to put that cash towards a van.

We've come to the conclusion of an Astro and AWD so we can drive on the sand and a bit off the beaten path.

Now for the question,we'd like to be able to seat 4 in case we want to bring along some mates. I see some well camperised Astro's that have a custom bench that folds down to a bed. How do you build these to be firstly legal and secondly safe?

Thanks

Last edited:

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
My solution was to use a seat from another conversion van. That seat is built and used by a RVIA certified builder, so it passes all the safety tests for an RV. If you have any qualms about wanting to be 100% sure you're safe and legal, that's the way you should go. Check out discountvantruck.com, they have a whole line of bench seat/beds that are FMVSS tested and certified. "Our Seating Systems are tested and certified to meet or exceed DOT Safety Standard FMVSS#207 per sections S4.2 and S4.3. All materials tested and certified to meet or exceed FMVSS #302 Safety Standards per section S4.2 and S4.3."

The VW guys worry a lot less about "legality" but there's still plenty of emphasis on "safe".

Once you've taken apart an OEM seat or two, it's easy to see that there really isn't that much to it. The next incarnation of my interior build will probably involve a custom-built rock and roll bed, and my approach to "safe" will be to over-build the base and continue to use approved seatbelts, etc.

bunce1260

Observer
Hello Herbie. ( the wife and I love the van btw).
Do you have to drill new holes for the conversion van benches? If so, do you have to use backing plates or any other reinforcements To make it safe and legal?

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Hello Herbie. ( the wife and I love the van btw).
Do you have to drill new holes for the conversion van benches? If so, do you have to use backing plates or any other reinforcements To make it safe and legal?

Yes, I had to drill new holes. "Normal" installation is to use large backing washers (like 2" diameter, with a 3/8" hole, IIRC). Some people also install a quick-disconnect system that involves some permanently installed bolts (with backing plates or washers) that are also hollow with an internal thread, so that the bench can removed from inside the van only. I think some even offer "tool-less" removal using wing bolts or the like.

Cole

Expedition Leader
Who exactly do you think is going to check your seat to make sure it's legal? Cops certainly aren't going to take the time, especially when most states don't have a law they could charge you with.

Even riding in the back of a pickup truck is still technically legal in most places.

toyrunner95

Explorer
Who exactly do you think is going to check your seat to make sure it's legal? Cops certainly aren't going to take the time, especially when most states don't have a law they could charge you with.

Even riding in the back of a pickup truck is still technically legal in most places.

I agree, i put all sorts of seats and seat belt configurations in different trucks and cars over the years, all the cops care about is if your wearing a seat belt. I have actually gotten away with a milk crate, but i still had my seat belt on so it wasn't illegal. I don't think there is actually a "law" in any municipality stating that the seat has to be bolted down, HOWEVER im sure it would fall under operating a safe vehicle. In that case, if its bolted down and there are seat belts, whose to stop you.

"Its only illegal if you get caught." John Dillanger (j/k)

bunce1260

Observer
Ok, lets drop the legal part. But Id rather keep my mates alive in back in case of an accident so lets think about safety.

Tlow- I stand at a lofty 5'6" .......and a half, the Mrs, about 5'5.
Are you thinking port -starboard? We dont a van yet but that looks to be a bit narrow, no?

Cole

Expedition Leader
As long as you use a real automotive seat, quality hardware and a reasonable sized plate on for the hardware you should be fine.

Stroverlander

Adventurer
I used these seat anchors from: http://www.julianos.com/anchor_plate.html years ago in my old '97 Astro AWD when I mounted a third factory seat and base behind the passenger seat.

Once I had the location sorted out and drilled through floor, they were welded in place on the underside of van floor so didn't require a second set of hands or fiddling around to install and remove seat. I used a lap belt from them as well, mounted under the seat base at rear anchors. Worked out great for me, had space for an additional passenger when transporting motorcycle and install/removal was less than a five minute affair.

They would certainly solve your mounting and safety belt issues once you figured out the convertible bed scenario.

anchor_plate.gif

Last edited:

nonhog

Observer
I suppose its a bit old of a thread but its what I am thinking about after lifting the Safari rear seat by myself. Its heavy and a bugger to store which would be something I could deal with if it folded flat. So what about lengthwise vs. widthwise?
I like the lengthwise thought as I could still haul a dirt bike or lumber etc.

bunce1260

Observer
I did have some other bench seat in there but could never figure out a decent way for it to work. So I put the original back seat in. It's on a slider so can skoot back and forth. I built boxes over the arches at the same height as the seat when folded down. I have a bench behind the seat. With half sized pillows and being 5'7" we can even sleep sideways. Here's a pic of the bed.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BDXaQbVuhHw/?taken-by=bjornthebus

nonhog

Observer
Looks very nice. My wife would approve. I'm 6' so I'm not so sure. Mostly we will be in the RTT but it would be nice to have options.
Maybe jump seats like Land Cruisers would work with a plywood bed laid over the seats? Hmmm? Have to think that through.

yochris

It's timely that this thread just got resurrected. Looking for a similar thing that could safely hold car seats for kids. So, like, really safe.

I have some seen some fold down rv seats that seem like they would fit. Combined with a Westy style platform behind for added length when folded down. They have floor or frame mounted seat belts options but attaching to the floor in a safe way is the trick. An RV seat must be made to mount securely, but I am newbie at all this so that's above my pay grade...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz