Trailscape's 06 Tundra

trailscape

Explorer
I want some real backup lighting.. I have these flush mount LED's that I had planned on installing above the doors, but I decided on putting an awning there.

Here's some lazy Photoshop. I was thinking of putting them in the doors. There are downsides, more holes being one.. I hate putting more holes in this topper. I'd like to do a custom bumper, but I don't know when that's going to be in the budget.

Thoughts?
Rear Door.jpg

I also have the Rigid mounts for a downward angle.
SAM_0124.JPG

rickashay

Explorer
How about in the area upwards and inboard of the taillight? Then the wiring for the lights won't have to pivot around with the doors and be out of the way.

trailscape

Explorer
How about in the area upwards and inboard of the taillight? Then the wiring for the lights won't have to pivot around with the doors and be out of the way.

I was thinking that originally. It's a snug fit there and also has horizontal bracing behind it that makes it trickier. It might fit flush, but I'm not sure the angled brackets would work. Little to no room for error in that spot.

It might be best to look for another lighting option.

character zero

dangerfoot
I was thinking that originally. It's a snug fit there and also has horizontal bracing behind it that makes it trickier. It might fit flush, but I'm not sure the angled brackets would work. Little to no room for error in that spot.

It might be best to look for another lighting option.

Why not just put them in the factory bumper?

dyogim

Explorer
I second the bumper. Otherwise, if this set-up is going to be long-term, I say the benefits of adding the lights out weigh the concerns of adding 2 extra holes. I was in the same position when I cut into my tailgate to add the lights. Since, I don't have any plans of getting rid of the tailgate, it was the best location for me.

I also thought about, what if I added a swing out of some sort, how would the positioning of the lights be affected? I figured, no tire swing out because the stock location is sufficient and keeps the tire out of the way. If anything, I would add a swingout specifically for fuel containers and it would be positioned right in the middle and not block the lights.

trailscape

Explorer
Been a bit slow on updates here, but there has been some progress.

Ventilation has always been my greatest frustration with truck toppers. No screwing around this time.
IMG_20150309_155951.jpg

Fan-tastic fan installed. Not sure of the exact model. It has the power open/close option.
SAM_0131.JPG

Installed the 100w solar panel to the left. Seemed the most logical configuration to use roof space.
SAM_0140.JPG

Decently flush fit on the inside. Used two layers of reflectix for insulation.
SAM_0141.JPG

Currently installing polywall vinyl to line the interior walls.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
nice upgrades. i have been wanting to add a vent/fan for a while now to my top.
how is the solar attached? i dont see a ladder rack? any pictures of this. I been wanting to put my panels up there as well
I did the Styrofoam insulation than the same reflective stuff you did but interested in the polywall vinyl for the walls. more info or install pictures when your done be cool.

looks really comfy inside. looks like we both have similar ideas for our shells. i love it

toyotech

Expedition Leader
I just noticed. is that a shelve in the front top? funny you did that because i was gonna do something similar for light stuff

trailscape

Explorer
nice upgrades. i have been wanting to add a vent/fan for a while now to my top.
how is the solar attached? i dont see a ladder rack? any pictures of this. I been wanting to put my panels up there as well
I did the Styrofoam insulation than the same reflective stuff you did but interested in the polywall vinyl for the walls. more info or install pictures when your done be cool.

looks really comfy inside. looks like we both have similar ideas for our shells. i love it

I had several different mounting brackets for the panels, but ended up just using four bolts with fender washers, rubber washers, spacers and nylock nuts and then sealing it up with sikaflex. I wanted to keep the panel lower to the roof line. The fan is serious overkill, but works amazing. Turn it on when it's scorching in there and it cools right down. I also used foam, but only to the roof line to keep as much headroom as possible. I covered the foam with window wrap before using the reflectix.

I got the poly wall at Home Depot. It's also available at Lowes. You can get a 4x8 sheet for 20 bucks and it's paintable, flexible, easy to cut and mold resistant. Kind of stuff used in some bathrooms and shower stalls. It's not the lightest stuff though and getting it to stick can be a little trying. I'm trying to adhere it to the reflectix between the support struts.

trailscape

Explorer
I just noticed. is that a shelve in the front top? funny you did that because i was gonna do something similar for light stuff

Yep.. Seemed like a perfect use of that space. Great place to stash stuff. I use it to store my snow peak table and legs, towels and clothing.

seanpistol

Explorer
Been a bit slow on updates here, but there has been some progress.

Ventilation has always been my greatest frustration with truck toppers. No screwing around this time.
View attachment 286573

Fan-tastic fan installed. Not sure of the exact model. It has the power open/close option.
View attachment 286570

Installed the 100w solar panel to the left. Seemed the most logical configuration to use roof space.
View attachment 286571

Decently flush fit on the inside. Used two layers of reflectix for insulation.
View attachment 286572

Currently installing polywall vinyl to line the interior walls.

:drool:

trailscape

Explorer
The solid window in the shell is bugging me.. I really want to be able to use the fan to cool the cab as well, so I'm looking at options to replace that solid piece of glass and open it up to the cab. I found a remote switch panel for the fan on ebay that I plan to mount in the cab.

I have one of them old square cushions that fits between the two windows on the old Tundra. Kind of a rare find these days, but something like that with some custom cut plexi glass might work.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
My topper is ARE and they have the option of a few different types of windows. Depending on who makes yours. I bet you could order a sliding window for it. The rubber boot is cool but will wear the paint on the truck where it touches.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

trailscape

Explorer
I couldn't find a brand name on mine anywhere, only a metal serial tag on the driver side front corner. I figure I'll always have a topper on the truck so any paint rubbing from a boot is more of a trade off. I'll stop in one of the places that carry multiple brands and see if they can identify a window replacement.

I have this one on the old truck. Didn't know they still made them.
http://www.eastendcampers.com/cgi-bin/shopper.cgi?preadd=action&key=0046VYLB
vinylboot.jpg

My topper is ARE and they have the option of a few different types of windows. Depending on who makes yours. I bet you could order a sliding window for it. The rubber boot is cool but will wear the paint on the truck where it touches.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne