Trailscape's 06 Tundra

rickashay

Explorer
Nice moves! Interested to hear how the OME's are... I'm thinking they are going to be pretty awesome in the Tundra especially. I really liked my front OME coilovers in my 4Runner.

trailscape

Explorer
Got the OME's in place. Removing the bolts for the lower ball joint was a mess. Them suckers didn't want to give. I even managed to bust a socket.

Added the diff drop this morning, but really don't like the spacers given for the rear of the skid plate to clear the diff. Those are going to disappear on the first oil change. I think some rubber bumpers permanently mounted and some longer bolts would work better.

Gained a full 3" on each side. Haven't installed the blocks yet and there's some serious rear sag present. Not sure the 1.5" blocks and airbags will be enough.

Crappy 2am mobile pictures:

Painted the calipers while in there...
KIMG0030.jpg

Final fender height is 38.5"
KIMG0034.jpg

Decided to spray bomb my wheels while they were off. Three coats of engine enamel, two light coats of a slightly speckled metallic and three coats of clear. Only got the front done for now as it was raining and only the front of the truck fits in the garage. Haha.
KIMG0029.jpg

Probably going to have a shop install the blocks. My driveway is sloped and the topper won't clear the garage. Height's going to be about 7'4" when done.

trailscape

Explorer
A few issues of note with the polywall. It doesn't clean as well as I hoped. In fact, it stains really easily.
Here some dirty fingerprints turned into a mess when I tried cleaning it.
The hot weather is also causing it to ripple and in some places lose adhesion. It looked great initially.
SAM_0144.JPG

I decided to go another route for backup lighting. I put one of the flush lights on the side for area lighting.
SAM_0143.JPG

Picked up some of these for more low profile backup lights.
http://amzn.com/B00NPPNKTU
71CMNnsgnlL._SL1500_.jpg

This one's been bugging me. I haven't figured out how best to attach my 6.5' ARB awning to the side of this topper.
The middle section looks ideal for mounting, but it's a bit low there. Not really ideal for using the awning walls either.
SAM_0113B.jpg
I still kind of hate that brush guard..

seanpistol

Explorer
Make sure you put those 4 bolts back into the steering knuckle with red locktite! And torque to 65 ft/lbs.

They are notorious for rattling out. Don't want your truck to come apart on the highway.

I pulled off the highway and into a parking lot in the middle of Kansas once, heard a pop, and discovered two bolts had rattled out, and one of the remining two just sheared. Down to one, and I just pulled off an 85 mph highway and was driving slightly faster than that. Scary!

trailscape

Explorer
Make sure you put those 4 bolts back into the steering knuckle with red locktite! And torque to 65 ft/lbs.

They are notorious for rattling out. Don't want your truck to come apart on the highway.

I pulled off the highway and into a parking lot in the middle of Kansas once, heard a pop, and discovered two bolts had rattled out, and one of the remining two just sheared. Down to one, and I just pulled off an 85 mph highway and was driving slightly faster than that. Scary!

Thanks for the pointer. I had planned to do that initially, but couldn't find my locktite at 2am. Probably pull it in the garage tonight and redo them. Been checking them constantly!

FJR Colorado

Explorer
Added the diff drop this morning, but really don't like the spacers given for the rear of the skid plate to clear the diff. Those are going to disappear on the first oil change. I think some rubber bumpers permanently mounted and some longer bolts would work better.

Ace Hardware sells some good bushings which make for great spacers. That's what I had to do along with longer bolts.

If you decide to ditch that brush guard, I might possibly be interested.

trailscape

Explorer
Ace Hardware sells some good bushings which make for great spacers. That's what I had to do along with longer bolts.

If you decide to ditch that brush guard, I might possibly be interested.

Thanks. I'll look for them next time I stop in. The brush guard is pretty stout, but also needs a good clean up and repainting.
I'll probably keep it at least until I can find something else or go with a bumper build. I really wish you could still buy the Defiant light bars that were around some years back..

Something like this... Clean and simple.
Light Bar 2.jpg

trailscape

Explorer
It's getting pretty hot out, so I'm back to trying ways to keep the truck cooler. Making the topper as 'livable' as possible for weekend or extended trips always becomes challenging in the summer.

Today I installed a thermostat switch on the vent fan. It turns on at about 100°f and off at about 85°f. I installed the thermostat near the roof and the temp dropped from 102 to 82 in about 10 minutes. Once the fan shut off, the temp climbed back to 100 in about 20 minutes. I blocked off both side windows with reflectix and the best temp drop was seen with the screen opposite the sunlight wide open.

Here's the thermostat I used. This works great when you aren't actually in the vehicle.
$(KGrHqRHJ!4FHJEnK,nZBR3ZIWz0Iw--60_57.JPG
http://www.ebay.com/itm/331134337030?

I wanted the option to tweak the settings some and found this thermostat that might work:
$_57.JPG
http://www.ebay.com/itm/271892421849?

I used the pink foam insulation from Home Depot for the walls, but skipped on the roof to save the extra headroom. I'm having second thoughts on that decision now. Would it be sensible to use any roof coating for additional heat resistance?

I think I found a replacement front window for the topper here:
https://www.custompickup.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=2396

But, I really just want the opening and not so much the slider option. I'm going to look into some cut plexi glass instead.

Last edited:

toyotech

Expedition Leader
I line my roof with styrofoam. Seem to help with the heat and takes very little headroom

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kya

Adventurer
Really cool build! When I camped out of my topper, I used 1" styrofoam insulation trimmed and wedged into all sides and the roof of the topper. Removable/replaceable window cutouts for climate control. It worked extremely well for winter and summer camping. It was easy to trim the styrafoam like puzzle pieces so that when wedged into place, they actually held each other up. The styrafoam always stayed in place even over rough 4x4 roads.

trailscape

Explorer
Working on a bit of personalizing and deblinging this week.

Felt like ditching the chrome, so here's some mirror cap painting.
Don't mind the mess... Had a valve fail on a spray can and it well, sprayed...and sprayed.
KIMG0038.jpg

Back on the truck. I like the look, though maybe I should've matched the white paint.
KIMG0039.jpg

Some bumper experimenting.. I temporarily removed the chrome strip and installed the light bar in existing holes to see if I liked this.
While the bumper is fairly thick, there's no real metal support behind this section. I used some fender washers for now. That's white vinyl tape covering the bumper holes.
KIMG0052.jpg

The curve matches the bumper pretty well.
KIMG0050.jpg
I was hoping to install it in the lower bumper section, but there's really only room for a single row bar.

I'm undecided on the brush guard.. The things pretty heavy duty. Almost on part with the Warn one I had previously.
I have the impression it may have been made for a double cab as the fit didn't seem quite right.
SAM_0112.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles