Trailscape's 06 Tundra

trailscape

Explorer
I never did a build thread for my 02 Tundra as going into it I didn't think I would get all that crazy with it... With my 06 I have slightly different ideas and plans in mind, but I think I should do a build thread this time around.
Besides, these 1st gen Tundras need more exposure.

Essentially a blank slate. I bought it, had the timing belt/water pump and oil change done and then drove it up to Cheyenne, WY to pick up the topper.
IMG_20150130_170646.jpg

Started on the interior build. The extra headroom meant rethinking my original design to make use of it.
IMG_20150215_123130.jpg

I'm using the 1" thick pink foam insulation and reflectix to insulate the interior.
IMG_20150215_123117.jpg

Couldn't decide what to do with all that space above the doors. I was going to install some flush mount backup lighting until I measured the smaller ARB awning and figured it would be a nice fit.
IMG_20150218_153342.jpg

More to come! :coffee:

trailscape

Explorer
Started noticing some rear end sag so I'm attempting to install OME shocks from Toytec this afternoon. It's been a nightmare trying to get these to fit into the shock mounts.

SAM_0119.JPG

Reeeeeeally tight fit getting that eye in place.
SAM_0122.JPG

TwoTrack

Buy Once, Cry Once
I added chassis grease to the rubber and then "massaged" it with a rubber mallet. :sombrero:

trailscape

Explorer
Found some holes in my exhaust system and overall it wasn't in the best of shape. After several parts headaches I decided to get a custom exhaust done. This removed the factory resonator and went with a dual in/dual out magnaflow muffler with a side exit. So far, I'm pretty happy with the results.

SAM_0114.JPG

SAM_0115.JPG

The undercarriage needs some cleaning...

scheefdog

Observer
What do you think of the way the 06 vs the 02 drives regarding the 5 speed transmission and VVT? Is the gas mileage significantly better?

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Sweet. Another tundra build. I love your top. Man so much room and a lot of building options. Over head storage for light items. Ceiling fan. Lighting. Nets for quick access items!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trailscape

Explorer
What do you think of the way the 06 vs the 02 drives regarding the 5 speed transmission and VVT? Is the gas mileage significantly better?

I still drive both the 02 and 06, and can say they feel entirely different. The 02 has almost 200k on it but I'm not sure how much if any difference that makes. I never thought the 02 was a snail, but the 06 does feel a lot livelier. I haven't driven enough to get any good mileage numbers, but so far I'm averaging 15-16. Honestly, the brakes are my favorite improvement. They stop much better.

trailscape

Explorer
Sweet. Another tundra build. I love your top. Man so much room and a lot of building options. Over head storage for light items. Ceiling fan. Lighting. Nets for quick access items!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. Yeah, that top has crazy room in it. It's my last attempt at a topper before I give in and get a camper. I need to post up some pictures, but I already cut a 14x14 hole in the roof and installed an RV fan.

seanpistol

Explorer
I still drive both the 02 and 06, and can say they feel entirely different. The 02 has almost 200k on it but I'm not sure how much if any difference that makes. I never thought the 02 was a snail, but the 06 does feel a lot livelier. I haven't driven enough to get any good mileage numbers, but so far I'm averaging 15-16. Honestly, the brakes are my favorite improvement. They stop much better.

That's why I put the big calipers on my 01 :)

scheefdog

Observer

I will have to drive an 05-06 one of these days. I am more curious about the gas mileage but it sounds to be about the same. I have an 02 and I have driven an 03 a fair amount as well. I think the drive by wire throttle cable they switched to in 03 makes the truck feel more lively so that could be part of it.

I agree on the brakes, that was the first upgrade I did.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles