EastWest - 100 Series Build Thread

EastWest

Observer
Purchased this 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser UZJ100 in March 2015 with 131,500 miles. It is all stock except it had an aftermarket stereo in it at one time that has been replaced with the stock radio.

Initial build done by: Das Mule: Mule Expedition Outfitters in Issaquah, WA

1999LC-100_expo.jpg

1. WeatherTech Digital Fit Floor Liner Front & Middle Seats (Tan)
2. WeatherTech Cargo Liner w/o 3rd Row Seats (Tan)
3. DashMat Limited Edition Custom Dashboard Cover (Beige)
4. Specter Off Road Tuff Duck Canvas Seat Covers - Front, Middle Row & Center Console (Tan)
5. Gamiviti antenna mounts for both driver and passenger sides $50 - They're painted, awaiting clear coat and installation.
6. Speski Offroad 100 Series Cargo Barrier $340 - being powder coated before shipment
7. OME Suspension - Light in front; Medium in rear; Torsion bars, shocks, springs, + rear air bags
8. ARB Single On Board Air Compressor w/ pump up kit mounted in engine compartment
9. ARB Awning 2500x2500 with room addition + floor.
10. Rhino Pioneer Roof Rack 76" x 54"
11. HAM Radio - Yaesu 2900R w/ external speaker w/ 4' Firefly HAM Radio Antenna
12. CB Radio - Cobra 75WXT w/ 4' Firestik CB Radio whip
13. TinyTrak4 + GPS
14. BFG KO2 Tires
15. PFran LED interior & brake lights
16. Duiser front recovery points

Attachments

• IMG_20150312_185050.jpg
    IMG_20150312_185050.jpg
    533.8 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

EastWest

Observer
Speski Offroad 100 Series Cargo Barrier

Shots of the barrier in process of being made:

Hoops welded! 3/28/2015!
barrier_01.jpg
Grate installed and ready for powder coating! 3/29/2015
barrier_02.jpg

Last edited:

EastWest

Observer
Communications:

2. Gamiviti antenna mounts for both driver and passenger sides $50 - They're painted, awaiting clear coat and installation.
8. HAM Radio - Yaesu 2900R w/ external speaker
9. HAM Radio Antenna - 4' Firefly
10. CB Radio - Cobra 75WXT
11. CB Radio whip - 4' Firestik
12. TinyTrak4 + GPS

Originally had springs in the HAM and CB setup but removed them after being unable to get a proper SWR with it on. Also couldn't get a good SWR with the 4' Firefly. A local shop made me a 1/4 wave antenna to replace the Firefly. I still have it in case I figure out how I can reintegrate it into my setup.

Last edited:

EastWest

Observer
Suspension

OME Suspension - Light in front; Medium in rear; Torsion bars, shocks, springs + rear air bags

I've had problems with the cv boots cracking and leaking despite the fact that I didn't think I ended up with a lift in the front. I'm preparing to do the diff drop anyway prevent this from continuing to happen.

Last edited:

EastWest

Observer
Recovery

ARB Single On Board Air Compressor w/ pump up kit

This setup has worked great for getting on and off the trail quickly. Plus, no more gas station air fill ups.

Last edited:

EastWest

Observer
Sleeping

ARB Awning with room addition

One of the vertical aluminum poles bent within the first few weeks when we got hit with wet snow at Overland Expo West '15. I called ARB and they sent us a new pole at no charge. Two years later a gust of wind came up from nowhere and destroyed one of the outrigger poles. Looking to order a replacement now.

Last edited:

EastWest

Observer
Rooftop

Rhino Rack Pioneer roof rack.

This lightweight rack has held up well and served its purpose for lashing down all our bags and gear, mounting the awning, and occasionally for transporting lumber and plywood.

Last edited:

EastWest

Observer
Tires

BFG KO2's

These tires are probably overkill for most of what we do but it's been great going out on trails knowing we have good shoes. They've done great in snow storms and on icy, packed snow and fresh snow trails.

Last edited:

expeditionist

Observer
Congrats on the new rig! I just started building a '99 LX470 myself. Look forward to watching your progress.

I was up at Mike's shop (BIOR) yesterday and saw one of his roof racks in person. It is well built and probably my favorite design as far as racks go. Not to mention Mike is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet.

As for tires, I have always been a big fan of BFG and have run through several sets of MT and AT over the years. I finally decided to change it up and got a set of DuraTrac this last time around. Better traction in icy conditions and super quiet on the highway. My only concern is whether the side wall will hold up as well as the BFG's.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
'99s are the best of the 100 series in my totally biased opinion! I would urge you to consider the Toyo AT 2 as a tire choice as well. My 33" BFG ATs on the 100 took on average 10-12 oz per tire to balance, and the 35" Toyos on my Dodge took an average of 1.75 oz. The AT 2 tread (especially the "xtreme" version) is fantastic in all conditions.

I have the OME mediums (865s) in my 100 and they are on the cusp of being a bit too light with any amount of load in it. The springs are less than a year old so no overuse issue involved. If you are doing a roof rack full of gear, 3 adults, a malamute and filling the cargo space too I'd strongly suggest you consider going to the next higher spring rate both front and rear.

Enjoy the new LC!

Corbet

Observer
I would also recommend checking out the Toyo and Nitto tires. Both good AT's. The Duratrac would be the perfect tire if the sidewalls were thicker than those on my Mountain Bike.

Last edited:

CreeperSleeper

Looking for bigger rocks.
I haven't had good luck with Toyo products. I am very impressed with my Falken Wild Peak AT's, however. You know, just to give you another option...

EastWest

Observer
Specter Off Road Canvas Seat Covers - Front, Middle Row & Center Console

These seat covers have held up exceptionally well since 2015. They've been washed them once since then at a commercial laundry and could probably use another go now. They've seen it all and have had no problems. No tears, holes, etc. The center console cover is the only thing I'm not a fan of. I've tried using their supplied velcro to get it to stick on the inside of the console and it just doesn't stay put. I'm open to suggestions.

seatcovers1.jpg
seatcovers2.jpg
seatcovers3.jpg
seatcovers4.jpg
seatcovers5.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94