U.S. alternative to Seitz top hinged windows

worldherewecome

That does sound like a logical point, though it is weird the most expensive high end windows on the market, like KCT and outbound have square glass windows. Are you able to share which company advised you to choose a cheaper line of their product?

david506th

Adventurer
Got a quote back on some windows, still waiting on the 35-60mm thickness. These are the ones mentioned above that come from China.

RV Window
Model: MG09RW
Description: black outer aluminum frame, white PU inner frame, with flynet and sun shade. Standard windows for wall thickness 25-35mm.
MOQ:20 pcs total or 20 pcs for one size only

1)1000*500mm USD 191.40/pc
2)1000*600mm USD 205.81/pc
3)500*350mm USD 102.62/pc
4)800*500mm USD 156.47/pc
5)1200*800mm USD 284.64/pc

Abitibi

Explorer
Did you inquire about freight cost? I need 2 windows and those prices are excellent. I'm going to France this summer so I have the option to buy the "real" windows and bring them back with me on the plane but it would still be way more than those prices...

worldherewecome

Have read a few different things now and the risk of the seals breaking due to vibration etc does seem high, and if coupled with a sealed unit without any capillaries or pressure equalisation could indeed cause bow out at altitude. It really does look like the seitz type windows are the best of the bunch, with many issues of their own, buy still the most cost and weight effective solution.

Sleeping Dog

Adventurer
At the Maine Boat Builder's show last month, there were a couple of companies that built doors and window units for marine use. Marine suppliers might be an option.

Jim

worldherewecome

Would love to go to a show like that. Marine hatches are very popular for skylights, and I'll definitely be considering one of them. They all seem to be single glazed through, so don't know if condensation would be an issue. The marine stuff is always high quality, but given they always stay at sea level, wonder if the double glazed windows would struggle with pressure at high altitudes.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
They all seem to be single glazed through, so don't know if condensation would be an issue. The marine stuff is always high quality, but given they always stay at sea level, wonder if the double glazed windows would struggle with pressure at high altitudes.
I looked into the marine windows and came away with the feeling that while I could live with condensation, I would have problems justifying the the cost. Most all of the windows are custom-made and anything with "marine" in the title seems to include a considerable premium. Here's a scary example--The Ocean flyscreen/blind combination to cover a two-foot-square window is--shade only/not the window--$330. :(

Admittedly, though, I was shopping at the Seitz-end of the window continuum. Had I been considering Armor Vision or similar windows from the off, the cost of the marine equivalents might not have seemed so gruesome.

FWIW, here's the window page from the Vetus catalog. I shows the construction and talks about the characteristics you get to control:

boat windows.jpg

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
We have a set of these. They are less than half the price of KCT. Very nice IMHO.
Was acquiring them and getting them to you relatively straightforward? Any advice to pass on should one wish to go this route?

Thanks.

S2DM

Adventurer
Was acquiring them and getting them to you relatively straightforward? Any advice to pass on should one wish to go this route?

Thanks.

Yes, very straight forward. From order to being on my doorstep in California was about 4 weeks, shipped via airfreight and very well packaged. They also handled the customs broker which was very nice (the customs broker contacted us to pay the fees, but outbound had taken care of all the paper work and the fees weren't much). They were also very quick to respond to tech questions, even a few months after the sale when I finally got around to routing the openings.

We've ordered quite a bit from Europe for the Mog, and this was far and away the easiest. The only potential downside I would say for stateside customers is that the windows have a tiered or stepped flange, obviously metric, which doesn't correspond with the typical 2,3 or 4" wall common here. It wasn't that bad, I cut the inner opening to fit, and then routed a second more shallow channel to seat the flange all the way around. The only spot the windows are attached to the wall is at the outer flange via a sika 252 bond, so routing the stepped flange may have been overkill anyways.

-S

yabanja

Explorer
Got a quote back on some windows, still waiting on the 35-60mm thickness. These are the ones mentioned above that come from China.

RV Window
Model: MG09RW
Description: black outer aluminum frame, white PU inner frame, with flynet and sun shade. Standard windows for wall thickness 25-35mm.
MOQ:20 pcs total or 20 pcs for one size only

1)1000*500mm USD 191.40/pc
2)1000*600mm USD 205.81/pc
3)500*350mm USD 102.62/pc
4)800*500mm USD 156.47/pc
5)1200*800mm USD 284.64/pc

I would consider getting in on an order. I need 3 or 4 windows.....

Allan

worldherewecome

Just got back from abenteuer allrad in Germany and saw the KCT and Outbound kit first hand. The KCT stuff is luxury yacht standard, but to be honest I actually preferred the construction and look of the Outbound kit. The frameless double glazed window and slimmer profile frame looked so much tidier than the bulky KCT stuff. The seitz s4 windows are so cheap and plasticcy in comparison, but I can't fault anyone choosing them (as I likely will!) given the cost of the alternatives.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles