U.S. alternative to Seitz top hinged windows

TernOverland

Supporting Sponsor Ternoverland.com
The EuroVision windows are a high quality item for sure! The screen assemblies are all aluminum housed, and very well made. We will be getting our first shipment in a couple of weeks. Most of them are already spoken for. We plan to place our next order this month. The lead times are running 6 to 8 weeks from the time we order. Because of the high cost of importing these windows, we will probably only order 4 to 6 times a year to save on shipping. If anyone wants in on the upcoming buy, please contact us in the next week or so.

TernOverland

Supporting Sponsor Ternoverland.com
Thanks for the links to Outbound windows. I wish I'd found them earlier!

I am building a Unimog camper in the UK, and have already fitted Seitz S4 windows. I stupidly left one open and caught it on the car lift, breaking the acrylic panel.

The price for a replacement panel is a complete rip-off (whole window assembly GBP 265, acrylic only GBP 209). I refuse to pay it - hence the research here - or ever to use Seitz windows again. They are not that great quality for the price, are flimsy, and the fly screens and blinds ill-fitting and extremely delicate.

I'm ordering one Outbound window to have a look at it and to replace the broken Seitz. Twice the price, but in metal and appearing more than twice the quality. Proper-double-glazed toughened glass too, not scratchable acrylic.

I'm new to motorhomes, and have discovered that most fittings aimed at the caravan/camper market - in contrast to the marine market - is very low quality, and very overpriced.

Mark,
We are sympathetic to the problems you have had obtaining replacement parts! It's extremely difficult to even get replacement parts in the US from some manufacturers, at any price. We are working with our factory to secure parts for our EuroVision windows, and if necessary we may even cannibalize our own stock to provide our customers that service. We are also committed to providing that support at a reasonable cost. What is the point of even having parts, if the cost makes buying a whole new window a better option? These windows are not cheap throw away items. We are working hard to provide our customers a better experience in the US.

I will also mention that our windows are all metal framed. Even the screen/blind assembly is in a metal case.

Anton2k3

Adventurer
Hi Mark - Norfolk,

I was looking at outbound windows too. However, I think they are GRP frame just like the seitz, not metal. Only the flyscreen assembly is metal - aluminium. I was about to order those today, but seeing the vanglass.de units, I think i'll stick with seitz, and sell the plastic windows on straight away. I like the low profile nature of the seitz, outbound sticks I (from outer skin - important on panel van conversion) 103mm.

I am a bit torn still though, I love the outbound products.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Some 'customer' input on the https://www.ternoverland.com/eurovision-windows windows.
I received three of them with my 'kit' from Total Composite and I am very impressed with them. The build quality looks great, they operate smoothly and the blind/screen combination is awesome.
I needed one more due to a design change and just ordered that via Tern Overland. They were outstanding to work with. Super quick customer service. Also very helpful with information and options. A joy to have such good customer service with a great product.

Last edited:

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Some 'customer' input on the https://www.ternoverland.com/eurovision-windows windows.
I received three of them with my 'kit' from Total Composite and I am very impressed with them. The build quality looks great, they operate smoothly and the blind/screen combination is awesome.
I needed one more due to a design change and just ordered that via Tern Overland. They was outstanding to work with. Super quick customer service. They were very helpful with information and options. A joy to have such good customer service with a great product.

Thanks for the feedback Mark. Excited to see what you build with the TC panels!

Grenadiers

Adventurer
Do they have Seitz S4 replacements? Our cabin is an ex-military cargo carrier, and cutting it up to fit an alternate-sized window won't work.

Joe917

Explorer
Ah, gotcha, thanks.

My stepfather is a huge boater and he had found this company in the UK that makes roller shades/blinds, in case anyone is looking specifically for them. Looks like they'll be doing motorhome stuff soon. They have a US distributor and sell at West Marine and Port Supply;
http://www.oceanair.co.uk/
http://www.oceanair.co.uk/marine/products/roller-collection-windowshade-2

Hatch shades too; http://www.oceanair.co.uk/marine/product-category/hatch-screen

The shades/blinds look great but they are not made large enough for most windows.
Does anyone know of a source for custom sized window blinds/screens?

1aquaholic

Adventurer
Ok I'm about to order windows for my camper and have been researching the hell out of it. Seems like Seitz are crap and I can't even find anyone to quote me a set. I'm going with 5 big windows and a roof hatch and want them to open out, my build is going to go around the world and I'm going to live it in it for many years. Seems that my only real options are Outbound and EuroVision, I love the outbound but the quote with shipping is over ten grand and the quote for Euro is $2,800. My build is pretty high end but I'm doing all the work and getting the best deal I can on all the parts. Big pluses on the outbound are build quality, composite frame to reduce heat transfer, and glass. Big negatives on euro are alu frame heat transfer, acrylic, and they don't open to 90 degrees only 60. I know this is a pretty personal decision but what do you all say?

java

Expedition Leader
Ok I'm about to order windows for my camper and have been researching the hell out of it. Seems like Seitz are crap and I can't even find anyone to quote me a set. I'm going with 5 big windows and a roof hatch and want them to open out, my build is going to go around the world and I'm going to live it in it for many years. Seems that my only real options are Outbound and EuroVision, I love the outbound but the quote with shipping is over ten grand and the quote for Euro is $2,800. My build is pretty high end but I'm doing all the work and getting the best deal I can on all the parts. Big pluses on the outbound are build quality, composite frame to reduce heat transfer, and glass. Big negatives on euro are alu frame heat transfer, acrylic, and they don't open to 90 degrees only 60. I know this is a pretty personal decision but what do you all say?

My windows are aluminum framed, they sweat. Nothing you can do about it. They are double pane glass, which helps, but the frames are still sweaty.

I personally wanted the glass for scratch resistance, but weight is a big trade off, they are heavy.

Coachgeo

Explorer
My windows are aluminum framed, they sweat. Nothing you can do about it. They are double pane glass, which helps, but the frames are still sweaty.....
Has anyone tried painting exterior of aluminum frame with Plastic Dip or similar to help cut back sweat? Maybe even try the insulating coatings used to cut temps in walls and floors of vehicles. (Lizard skin is one product) Heck even real thinned out truckbed liner might work.

java

Expedition Leader
Has anyone tried painting exterior of aluminum frame with Plastic Dip or similar to help cut back sweat? Maybe even try the insulating coatings used to cut temps in walls and floors of vehicles. (Lizard skin is one product) Heck even real thinned out truckbed liner might work.
I think you would have better luck on the interior, but it would have to be pretty insulating. Honestly I don't think it would work unless it was say 1/2" thick

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Coachgeo

Explorer
I think you would have better luck on the interior, but it would have to be pretty insulating. Honestly I don't think it would work unless it was say 1/2" thick

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
"exterior" ... as in "Exterior surfaces" AKA- parts not inside the window frame that would conflict with it's ability to open and close or slide. This would include "exterior surface of window frame" that lies in the Interior of the camper.

Sorry for my bad choice of words.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles