Picnic trailer to expo trailer build

02running

So im going to buy a trailer today it is about a 4x6 trailer with an aluminum top that opens up. This is going to be the starting point for my camping trailer.
My plan for this trailer:
add cross bars to mount a RTT.
change the axle or hub to match the toyota bolt pattern.
cut the tongue down to about 3 foot and reinforce it.
add a plate on the tongue for more storage.
strip it down, bed line bottom half and paint the top half to match my 4runner.
add rims and tires 33's

questions thus far. where should i look for an axle with the toyota bolt pattern? i have searched and found some answers but looking for more of a direct answer.

current pictures. the sides are meant to be used for benches. the PO had it as a picnic trailer. I willl be removing the benches most likely.
trailer1.jpg
trailer2.jpg
trailer3.jpg
trailer4.jpg
trailer5.jpg

Last edited:

02running

Upon picking up the trailer today i realized some things that i wanted to fix sooner rather than later.
1) needs longer axles in order to fit larger tires and clear the trailer.
2) instead of removing the "picnic bench" might weld them in place to give the trailer a more box shape. will need to look into this more.
3) adding to the list i think i want to make a tailgate on the back to make it easier to access the inside.
4) in order to put a RTT on the aluminum top i believe i will need to reinforce the top so it doesnt give in to the weight.

any thoughts?

yj4trails

Observer
Great starting point. For the tent... if it is possible use the side legs that the benches are attached to and build a rack that telescopes up. Then you can still access stuff under the lid with the tent deployed.

02running

I was thinking about making the back have a door as well to organize it. i want to try and keep it as low as possible.

02running

So when i get a new axle im gonna need it wider but will it be ok if the leaf springs are in the same location?
trailer1.jpg

in this picture you can see that the tire is underneath the shelf of the tub. its pretty close to the wall of the trailer as well. I plan to put larger tires and in the current state i do not believe it will clear the space. so i plan on a wider axle but is the added length with out the leaf springs moving a problem?

stomperxj

Explorer
Personally I'd cut the benches off. As far as the axle is concerned... etrailer.com or a local trailer supply house will have axles. You should be able to get a 3500# axle for under $200 with spring perches welded on it already in any bolt pattern you want...

haynesdad

Observer
It would be interesting to see if you could find a way for the benches to fold into the trailer while still clearing the tires. I'm kind of digging the built in table/chair concept. One less thing to have to pack for trips

02running

Personally I'd cut the benches off. As far as the axle is concerned... etrailer.com or a local trailer supply house will have axles. You should be able to get a 3500# axle for under $200 with spring perches welded on it already in any bolt pattern you want...

the benches can pull off easily. will the distance between the springs and the hub be ok if it is farther apart than most?

02running

It would be interesting to see if you could find a way for the benches to fold into the trailer while still clearing the tires. I'm kind of digging the built in table/chair concept. One less thing to have to pack for trips

the benches do fold into the trailer. but i really dont know how useful they will be if i put a rtt on the top

Coby65

Observer
Figure out a way to keep the benches! Those are cool! We have an issue when we camp with friends of constantly dragging our chairs around. Problem solved in your case. You do not need the table to use the bench. Heck you lift it enough those benches could be use as a bar/table.........how cool would that be?

I think timbren has a lifted long arm axle less suspension now. I would give them a call.

As far as the tongue goes you may not want to shorten it too much. A longer trailer is easier to back up and rides better going down the highway. My plan for my trailer is to have a straight bar long enough not to contact the body if jackknifed 90 degrees. This is about 3 foot with the JK from the center of the receiver. Then a tongue box and reinforcements.

02running

Figure out a way to keep the benches! Those are cool! We have an issue when we camp with friends of constantly dragging our chairs around. Problem solved in your case. You do not need the table to use the bench. Heck you lift it enough those benches could be use as a bar/table.........how cool would that be?

I think timbren has a lifted long arm axle less suspension now. I would give them a call.

As far as the tongue goes you may not want to shorten it too much. A longer trailer is easier to back up and rides better going down the highway. My plan for my trailer is to have a straight bar long enough not to contact the body if jackknifed 90 degrees. This is about 3 foot with the JK from the center of the receiver. Then a tongue box and reinforcements.

I think it would be difficult to keep the benches with larger tires. to remove the benches its as simple as pulling them all the way out. just dont think with larger tires they would still work.

I would like to keep the cost down on the axle and axle less just sounds expensive.

the tongue would be shortened by a foot at the most.

02running

pictures with the benches closed

Here is the trailer when it is being towed. dont think keeping the benches would be an option when i upgrade the axle and tires. Hard to see this thing when towing it. once its lifted it should be better but it sits low and isnt long enough for me to see it.

t1.jpg
t2.jpg

Coby65

Observer
I have weighed the cost of the axle less suspension and it will be more expensive than a regular leaf suspension. But I have towed trailers for the last 12 years for work and anything that makes the trailer ride and handle better on long drives is worth the few extra dollars to me.
As far as keeping the benches, could you add a steel fender for the tires and flare the bottoms. This way you could cut down the benches and they can rest on the flare for support when down. Just a thought!

Take and jackknife the trailer and see where the front corner of the trailer impacts the Toyota. Make the tongue long enough so the trailer and vehicle do not contact each other. I know sometimes backing up hills on trails to get another line this would have been helpful and not resulted in trailer or vehicle damage.

Cyberman

Observer
To get a 6 lug pattern to match the Toyota, you will need to go with a 3500 # axle. There is maximum distance between the hub face and the spring perch that you must follow. Look at Dexter axles for this info.

screwball48

Explorer
I like the idea of section in the benches around new fenders and keeping them as 4 individual seats. Cool looking trailer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94