Picnic trailer to expo trailer build

02running

To get a 6 lug pattern to match the Toyota, you will need to go with a 3500 # axle. There is maximum distance between the hub face and the spring perch that you must follow. Look at Dexter axles for this info.

yeah im gonna have to take some measurements when i get back home in may. the problem will be how to get a wider axle and where the spring perches would be.

I like the idea of section in the benches around new fenders and keeping them as 4 individual seats. Cool looking trailer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

that might be doable would have to reinforce it a bit but shouldn't be too hard

02running

took some measurements of the axle the other day. the axle from inside the hub to inside the hib is about 3 foot. and the spring perches were about 5 inches from the hub measuring from the middle of the spring perch.

02running

so after reading on a trailer site i can have the spring about 17inches from the hub face. the way this trailer is designed im gonna need every inch of that to have the tire stick out. should be ordering a axle here soon just have to wait till my 35's on the 4runner so i can use the old 33's to help mock up the spacing im gonna need. once i do that i can order the axle. with the correct hub faces.

02running

Screen Shot 2015-09-04 at 9.07.30 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2015-09-04 at 9.07.19 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2015-09-04 at 9.07.03 PM.jpg

made an attempt at a simple cad design of what i want my trailer to look like.
created a platform so i can still access the tub with tent deployed.
rear tire swing out, with camping table. also want to create a drop down gate style.
gonna use the old benches and make fenders out of them. also adding some more tongue support and making a floor for it to use in the future.

dont kill me for the cad drawing. it was the first attempt at one.

02running

So I am starting to piece my axle together. how does this look.
this axle - $119 base comes with axle seats thats it. can customize the length of the axle, and the bolt pattern on the hub.
http://www.trailerpart.com/35ktraileraxle.htm

might need the hanger kit. need to double check my trailer. $17.95
http://www.southwestwheel.com/store...single-axle-hanger-kit-for-double-eye-springs

possibly 2 new leaf springs. $30.30
http://www.southwestwheel.com/store/p-192-sw4b.aspx

lastly spring over axle conversion kit. seems a little steep is there anything cheaper? $51.78
http://www.dexteraxle.com/inc/sdetail/1093/1099

about $220 prior to shipping.
anything wrong with this setup?

02running

Made progress

So I finally made progress on my trailer build today. I recently ordered a 45in #3500 lb axle with 6x5.5 lug pattern it showed up last week. I decided to get to work on it today.

here is the comparison picture of the 2 axles.
Untitled by Sean Scott, on Flickr

I dropped the old axle and mocked up the new one. had to make a few adjustments to make the tires fit but its on and looks nice.

Need to add fenders and start working on how i want to add my rtt.

here is the pics so far. still need to weld the spring seats on which will happen this weekend.

Here is my dilemma, the studs and toyota lug nuts dont match up. i do not trust the lugs that came with it. this is what it looks like with the ones from the axle look like vs toyota.

look like they are seated nice but not sure.

might go ahead and order these. this is cheaper and easier than removing and adding the right studs.
http://www.ezaccessory.com/Toyota_Lexus_OEM_Style_Mag_Lug_Nuts_1_2_p/5003t.htm

anything look off? any concerns with this setup?

Ted_Z

Adventurer
Your wheels are set up to be hub-centric. The axle is hub is set up to be lug-centric, thus the conical lug nuts. You'll need a hub centric ring.

02running

Your wheels are set up to be hub-centric. The axle is hub is set up to be lug-centric, thus the conical lug nuts. You'll need a hub centric ring.

I bought some toyota style lugs that fit. if they dont work ill just have to buy wheel spacers to make it correct. I feel that these lug centric nuts should work

02running

Welded spring seat, first tow around the block

Today I got the spring seats welded into place and changed out the lug nuts to a toyota style lug nut that fits.

got the trailer hooked up after putting it all back together to see how it looked.

Ill take better pictures soon. looks pretty good behind their. really need to add a rack so i can see it better while pulling it.

I noticed this today the slipper spring seat area looks like it could be an area of concern. any thoughts?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz