E-tracks in an open bed, multi-use trailer?

zuren

Adventurer
This weekend I just acquired a new-to-me utility trailer. My father upgraded his tractor and mower over the years and the trailer he had was no longer big enough to move any of it so he handed it down to me.

The trailer needs to be restored and I'm trying to figure out some features that may be nice to have for adventures but keep it functional for utility work. The deck needs to be replaced and the biggest challenge with this trailer was being able to tie down heavy items effectively. I'm looking for a flexible solution to tie down these types of items. Has anyone ever installed E-tracks on the cargo deck of an open utility trailer? If I'm moving dirt or leaves, I'm concerned that the tracks will fill up with debris that will be difficult to remove.

Most of the E-track installations I've seen are on the walls of work vans and covered trailers, or on the floors of trailers dedicated to hauling 'clean' items (landscaping equipment, snowmobiles, ATVs, etc.). I'm not sure if they are intend for what I want to do.

Another option is a bunch of recessed tie-downs, maybe a row down both sides of the trailer every 2 ft. or so.

There is also the much more expensive VersaTie (http://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/product/versatie-aluminum-track-series1-96/VersaTie)

I will be posting a bigger thread but I have some larger items to move immediately. Being able to tie items down is a high and immediate priority.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Felix Caliz

I've been using those (US Cargo control) in the bed of my pick up for almost 2 years. Excellent results so far. Install was easy enough considering I needed to know what was under the bed before drilling but it went fine. I used stainless steel hardware a large washer with dab of silicone on the washer and on the track just to make sure the bed didn't rust where I drilled my holes. I have hauled bulk mulch and with a stiff broom had no problems cleaning the tracks out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior