Kamp Kitchn

rynosurf

Adventurer
Anyone ever see one of these?

kitchen001.jpg

I found it on Craigslist and had to buy it. I dont know if I'm going to keep it or not but it was too cool to pass up. It is definitely vintage gear. It is made of aluminum, came complete with utensils, serving trays, coffee set and even had some old products like sugar and matches in it that look like they belong in a 50’s commercial.
kitchen002-2.jpg
kitchen005-2.jpg

kitchen004-1.jpg
kitchen003-1.jpg

The only thing wrong is that they probably stopped making these bottles 50 years ago. If I keep it I'm going to modify it to run off my large propane cylinder.
kitchen007-1.jpg

IZZYDUSIT

Adventurer
love old camping stuff!
not always expedition worthy but nostalgia is a factor.
let me know if you are not going to keep it, i'd love to have a chance buy it. thanks.

rynosurf

Adventurer
The top of the canister looks similar to the primus style canisters but does not screw in; it just pushes in and is held in place by a sleeve with a tab that locks it into place. I need to find one that is the exact same size or modify it.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
As it goes I ended up with this KampKitchn :cool:

I've been retrofitting it to run on a standard 1lb propane cylinder. I was very systematic in my approach, all of the retrofit work was done without adding any additional holes or any major trimming, so if I for some reason needed to turn it back to stock, I could in a matter of minutes with a drill and a couple of rivets. Its been test run to boil water, worked flawlessly. The joint compound on the gas line is curing right now, once complete I'll give it a final test out on the trail this weekend. I'm going to make a couple stops to the thrift stores and try and find a nice period correct set of pots and pans, assuming I can get them to fit inside of the storage compartments.

I'll be toting this along on a "Relic Run" we are having here in Utah this summer, all 70's or older vintage vehicles, camping gear and food :cool:

cruiseroutfit

Some pics of the modifications as well as some pics of use in the field. I took it along for a long weekend trip in the desert this last weekend, it did great. It doesn't have wind barriers but for being ~40 years old I'm pretty in love :cool:

Attachments

• Kamp_Kitchen 007 (Medium).jpg
    Kamp_Kitchen 007 (Medium).jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 759
  • Kamp_Kitchen 009 (Medium).jpg
    Kamp_Kitchen 009 (Medium).jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 594
  • Kamp_Kitchen 011 (Medium).jpg
    Kamp_Kitchen 011 (Medium).jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 556
  • Kamp_Kitchen 017 (Medium).jpg
    Kamp_Kitchen 017 (Medium).jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 4,423
  • Dugway_Range 051 (Medium).jpg
    Dugway_Range 051 (Medium).jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 6,803

cruiseroutfit

Alright moonthirteen, I want some pics!

I have used mine a ton since the conversion last year, in fact I've side lined my other stoves and its become my defacto chuck box. Can't wait to see what you've done with yours :cool:

getout

Adventurer
all 70's or older vintage vehicles, camping gear and food :cool:

Food from the 70's. As it turns out, I cleaned out this guys garage not too long ago and found a ham in a trash can wrapped in 1970's newspaper. You could take that if it's still around. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles