1947 Teardrop: can I lift it for better clearance?

Sleam

Explorer
Hey folks, I"m new to trailers but am getting a 1947 Teardrop and want to take it with me into bear country! I camp in the mountains around NM/ CO and AZ mostly and the truck is too small for me and three dogs for more than a few days at a time. I mostly drive unpaved 2WD roads, NF ones, and find dispersed campsites. The tires are small and old so I need to replace them anyways, they are 175/80/13s I think. Can I get taller ones? Or All Terrain ones? Or is there some kind of lift I can add to the axle set up?
Let me know if you have any suggestions for taking this on easy dirt roads, thanks!
s

NotAMog

Observer
If your teardrop suspension is like that on my '47 Kit Sportsman you'll want to replace everything with a modern setup with much more travel. The Kit teardrops used square tube axels, one inside the other, separated by round rubber cord. They only have a few inches of suspension travel and ride very stiff even when loaded. Mine has the original 16" wheels so there is very little clearance under the fenders.

You might want to take a look at the air bag suspension from Adventure trailers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz