My project build/ Expo trailer.

HAFICON

Adventurer
i like it rusty, looks mad maxxish. that side view appears to be the most menacing looking coffin ever,.... nice work!!

Thanks.. *L* I was trying to get away from the coffin look but I love it. On a break right now been pecking away at it. hope to cut the tail gate out tomorrow.

HAFICON

Adventurer
Thanks,

I just place an order today for:

Brake kit
http://www.ebay.com/itm/371255352350?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Not the Mopar harness but I like this because it will allow me to run 7 or 4 pin and will simply plug into OEM outlet.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002Q7C1C?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Trailer brake controler.
http://www.carid.com/curt/discovery-brake-control-mpn-51120.html

Hope to pick up some paint tomorrow start painting.

HAFICON

Adventurer
Modified my factory trailer hitch to accept a 7 pin connector for trailer brakes.
1 Trailer  bracket.jpg

2 7 in skid.jpg

2 7 pin.jpg

3  7pin installed.jpg

Adding some brakes.
4 Spindal.jpg

5 Brake Hub.jpg

HAFICON

Adventurer
Tree deflectors built.
6 P side deflector.jpg

7 Tree deflector.jpg

Started paint, first coat is alright in a heated shop maybe it is dry today.
8 Lid black.jpg

9 Trailer frame black.jpg

10 Trailer pink.jpg

HAFICON

Adventurer
One step close to being done. At least now the trailer is usable and visually attractive.

Had to take it camping:

Last edited:

HAFICON

Adventurer
Thanks yall, I really appreciate it I was starting to question as to why I was building it then I finally got to use it and I love it.

HAFICON

Adventurer
So after a lot of use I realized how impractical my trailer was becoming. I love my trailer it has been great offroad and camping but fact of the matter is I should have done more research, and explored more options. This thing will withstand a Nuke blast that is for sure. 3x2 frame rails 3/16" wall thickness.... That was insane.. Side walls are 1/8" thick the floor is a sheet of 3/16" steel plate. The lid is around 150lbs, with the tent mounted it is more like 300lbs. Trying to open this while on the trail or camping is almost impossible unless the tent it open to offset the weight. Think my trailer needs to go on a diet and drop some pounds.

I really like the countersunk tail lights but the lid has to go. It is more of a hazard than a benefit(also has lost its appeal kinda looks dumb to me now). Looking to do an aluminum frame, aluminum sheet for a flat top. relocate the lights. Part of the plan all along has been to install a water tank so I am going to do that what size would someone suggest? Need to support about 3 days at a time washing pots, and cooking. I was looking into a 50 gallon but is that overkill? So I already cut the hole for the water faucet and hook up for a sink. The next big correction is a drop down tailgate. This was part of the original plan but I got rushed and wanted to use the trailer so I sealed it up. I have considered adding an access door to the front driver side still unsure. I also still need a place to mount the spare wheel/tire (315/70/17) the tire height is too tall to stand up in the trailer and takes up a lot of valuable cargo area on the inside. Looking for idea and suggestions I am horrible at over engineering/complicating stuff.

Some progress:
Was dark by the time I finished working, but I cut out this hole going to box it in and mount connections.
IMG_6359.jpg

Got the rear panel cut out.
IMG_6357.jpg

IMG_6358.jpg

Other big plan is a color change, this white is freaking ugly, it was cheap and better than rust but it has to go. The side walls will be sprayed with color matched bed liner once I am done cutting holes. The inside is being coated in standard black liner. The frame will remain black paint for easy touch up. If anyone has any suggestions please feel free to chime in.

dstock

Explorer
Water wise, I usually carry 3 x 5gal Scepter cans and have yet to run out on 3-4 day excursions. I'm looking to do a 25 gal on my M101A1, to help cover showers. I think 50 gal is going to be whole lot of extra weight to be carrying on the trail and otherwise. Just my 2 cents of course. I'm going to go with a flatish tank above the axle as I seem to have plenty of room there.

HAFICON

Adventurer
Water wise, I usually carry 3 x 5gal Scepter cans and have yet to run out on 3-4 day excursions. I'm looking to do a 25 gal on my M101A1, to help cover showers. I think 50 gal is going to be whole lot of extra weight to be carrying on the trail and otherwise. Just my 2 cents of course. I'm going to go with a flatish tank above the axle as I seem to have plenty of room there.

Ok thanks.. I have a ton of room this trailer is pretty large. On my overnight camping trips I can get buy with my Rotopax water packs. That is only 8 gallons used for cooking and cleaning. Not sure about a shower unit I have been looking at options 25 gallon might be better. I also carry a couple cases of bottler water. I think if nothign else a 25 gallon installed tank and a couple 5 gallon jugs as back up. I don't see being to far from a water source here in the U.S.

HAFICON

Adventurer
Little by little it is coming together... Lid is coming along nice. Tailgate is done. Going to fiberglass them and bed line them.

IMG_0609.jpg

HAFICON

Adventurer
Got the new lid built...

1/8" wall square tube frame, 3/4" pipe for rails, 1/2" thick PVC sheet. This lid is about half the weight of the original.

IMG_0923.jpg

IMG_0924.jpg

IMG_0925.jpg

So once the lid is finished we will blast the entire trailer, and repaint. Also building a spare tire carrier but nothing special there...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94